Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: What does ATMP mean?  (Read 2048 times)

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
What does ATMP mean?
« on: August 09, 2008, 06:36:42 PM »

When I was growing up I always thought it was sort of a message of "hang in there, even if things are bad now, they will change", mixed in with "don't get too smug about where you are if things are going right now, as they can always change". In other words, "pass" meant "change", and the album title more or less meant "Nothing Lasts Forever".

Since then, I've heard people refer to the act of dying as "passing", e.g., "My gradfather passed yesterday". So with that interpretation, the album might be titled "All Things Must Die". A definite Debbie-downer kind of title!

I wonder what George meant in the title? The whole meaning of the album changes a lot depending on which meaning of the word is considered.  Is there a typical Liverpudlian, or English, meaning to the word?

Thanks  :)
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
Re: What does ATMP mean?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 07:49:56 PM »

Well, actually, to die is to pass away, not just to pass, strictly speaking. So i think that he meant that everything is temporary in this life, even the Beatles. Everything flows, everything changes, there is nothing that lasts for long. Time passes, the pain will pass and so on...

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 11:34:12 PM »

Quote from: 1393
Well, actually, to die is to pass away, not just to pass, strictly speaking . So i think that he meant that everything is temporary in this life, even the Beatles. Everything flows, everything changes, there is nothing that lasts for long. Time passes, the pain will pass and so on...

Well, it actually depends where you come from. I grew up in NY, and we always said like you did, "pass away". I live in TX now, and have noticed that a lot of people here leave off the word "away", and they just say "... passed". The first few times I heard it, I had to remind myself that they weren't talking about a gallstone or describing some other sort of digestive issue!

But the real question is, what did George mean? He was a food kind of guy (Savoy Truffle), maybe he had the digestive thing in mind  :)
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 01:47:48 AM »

I always took it as life goes on... things come and go and no matter what time still goes on.
<br />

cubanheel

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 11:10:59 AM »

It's kind of a continuation of the theme he picked up in Within you without you  -  life flows on, all things must pass, in the midst of life we are in death, but I think he was looking at it in a positive way, not a morbid way, as some westerners do. His brush with eastern philosophy must have had a lot to do with this perspective. It's also after the Beatles ended, so maybe it's a message to the fans that even something like the Beatles has to pass away, or move on to another way of being. Hmm, too heavy??
...once there was a way to get back homeward ...

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 11:36:52 AM »

I always saw George's sense of humour in this title , kind of don't get to cocky and think your special , because one day you will croak .

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 03:18:45 PM »

Quote from: 1389
It's kind of a continuation of the theme he picked up in Within you without you  -  life flows on, all things must pass, in the midst of life we are in death, but I think he was looking at it in a positive way, not a morbid way, as some westerners do. His brush with eastern philosophy must have had a lot to do with this perspective. It's also after the Beatles ended, so maybe it's a message to the fans that even something like the Beatles has to pass away, or move on to another way of being. Hmm, too heavy??

Nah; basically right, I think: it's a song about the transience, or impermanence of things; a generalization or conclusion that might have been provoked by a specific incident or person: "Seems my love is up / And has left you with no warning / But it's not always going to be this grey."

Sunrise doesn't last all morning
A cloudburst doesn't last all day
Seems my love is up
And has left you with no warning
But it's not always going to be this grey

All things must pass
All things must pass away

Sunset doesn't last all evening
A mind can blow those clouds away
After all this my love is up
And must be leaving
It has not always been this grey

All things must pass

All things must pass
None of life's strings can last
So I must be on my way
And face another day

Now the darkness only stays at nighttime
In the morning it will fade away
Daylight is good
At arriving at the right time
It's not always going to be this grey

All things must pass

http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/b/beatles/all_things_must_pass.html

Page created in 0.269 seconds with 56 queries.