Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Classic 60's songs: Pinball Wizard  (Read 3325 times)

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
Classic 60's songs: Pinball Wizard
« on: March 31, 2017, 05:42:17 PM »

"Pinball Wizard" is one of the most recognized songs recorded by the Who. It was written by Pete Townshend and released as a single in March 1969, reaching #4 in UK and #19 in US. The record can be defined as hard rock, but it also includes some pop elements adding catchiness. The song features a very interesting acoustic guitars intro; and a powerful, mind-blowing electric guitar is later added. Bass and drums sound great as usual for the group; and the melody is very enjoyable. The lyrics describe the innate ability of a deaf and blind kid who is a pinball champion. An absolute classic.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2aIsj8lcik" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2aIsj8lcik</a>

For the moment this will be the last song reviewed in my classic 60's songs series. Hope you have liked these topics.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 09:04:19 PM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Classic 60's songs: Pinball Wizard
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 11:35:33 PM »

Live at Woodstock 1969

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y63jeAVKHUI" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y63jeAVKHUI</a>

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 12:41:38 PM »

Its a good song.  I like the Elton John version too, but the Who's original is better.

KelMar

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 11:23:54 PM »

Its a good song.  I like the Elton John version too, but the Who's original is better.

Agree and agree.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 11:03:22 PM »

Big fan of the Who's version. It's a really fun one to play as a guitarist (great exercise for a young guitarist's  right hand) and was a staple of  bands I played in in high school.

Elton John's is pretty good too but I'm with those who plump for the original.

Thanks for doing these Hombre. They've been fun discussions and reminded me to check our songs I hadn't listened to for a while.  I hope you start them up again some time in the future.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 11:13:03 PM »

I also prefer the original version of the song, as you all have said. Actually this was the song by the Who that made me feel interested in the band for the first time.

Thanks for doing these Hombre. They've been fun discussions and reminded me to check our songs I hadn't listened to for a while.  I hope you start them up again some time in the future.

Thank you Moog. I know there are a lot of other classic 60's songs that I didn't review; and as you may have noticed, I was more focused on the 1965-1967 period, which I consider as the golden years of the decade. Maybe in the future I'll do this again with more obscure songs from the decade. And if other member of the forum wants to continue with this, he/she can do that too.

KelMar

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 02:27:38 AM »

Thanks for doing these Hombre. They've been fun discussions and reminded me to check our songs I hadn't listened to for a while.

Yes, thank you Andrés.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 09:42:26 AM »

Good job with this Andres

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 11:21:18 AM »

Hope this doesn't bring anyone down but this song, always a favorite of mine, has some new meaning for me.  In January, my water skiing buddy and lake neighbor's 19 year old son was killed in a car crash.  Woman, presumably drunk, went the wrong way on a divided road with a median, without lights on at night.  Impact was likely 50 mph each vehicle, very little braking from lack of skid marks.  She survived.  Anyway, I helped my friend out as he requested a video for the services and between video I had of his son out on my boat and stuff he provided I made a nice video for him. 

There was a long sequence in the video where the son was wake surfing behind the boat, the song playing on the speakers was Pinball Wizard.  He was singing along in the video.  Can't imagine I'll ever hear this song again with same joy I used to.  Sorry for the downer story.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 03:09:45 PM »

Yes, thank you Andrés.

Good job with this Andres

Thanks Kelley and Todd. I also appreciate your contributions to these topics.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2017, 03:25:51 PM »

Hope this doesn't bring anyone down but this song, always a favorite of mine, has some new meaning for me.  In January, my water skiing buddy and lake neighbor's 19 year old son was killed in a car crash.  Woman, presumably drunk, went the wrong way on a divided road with a median, without lights on at night.  Impact was likely 50 mph each vehicle, very little braking from lack of skid marks.  She survived.  Anyway, I helped my friend out as he requested a video for the services and between video I had of his son out on my boat and stuff he provided I made a nice video for him. 

There was a long sequence in the video where the son was wake surfing behind the boat, the song playing on the speakers was Pinball Wizard.  He was singing along in the video.  Can't imagine I'll ever hear this song again with same joy I used to.  Sorry for the downer story.

That's a very sad story, blmeanie. Perhaps every time you hear the song you should think of the life of the boy instead of his death.

I lost my sister about 8 years ago in a road accident; she was 25 then. When I listen to a song I know she loved, I try to remember the best moments we lived. For instance, some of her favorite Beatles songs were "With A Little Help From My Friends" and "Here Comes The Sun", and they also started to have a different meaning to me after she passed away.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 03:27:56 PM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »

KelMar

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2017, 01:34:30 AM »

That just breaks my heart, blmeanie. But it's good that you told us about him. He deserves to be remembered. Maybe, someday, what Andrés said will happen and the song will make you feel better. When my brother died his kids played some of his records at the viewing and "In My Life" played at the worst possible time for me. It took a long time but I finally was able to listen to it without tears. That's how I knew I was doing better.

Quote from: Hombre_de_ningun_lugar
I lost my sister about 8 years ago in a road accident; she was 25 then. When I listen to a song I know she loved, I try to remember the best moments we lived. For instance, some of her favorite Beatles songs were "With A Little Help From My Friends" and "Here Comes The Sun", and they also started to have a different meaning to me after she passed away.

Oh, Andrés, I am so sorry about your sister. It seems we both belong to a group we never wanted to join. We lost my sister in an accident 8 years before my brother died. I don't know what I'd do without the connection that music gives me to them. I'm glad you have that too, with your sister. I saw that in action again this past weekend at my cousin's memorial service. She sang in her church's praise band and she also loved to dance and that was all represented. At the end her son and some other great musicians played a funk medley he arranged and there were 300 of us dancing right there in the church...just what she said she wanted!

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2017, 02:31:13 PM »

Man.  My heart goes out to you and that family BL.

Page created in 0.527 seconds with 64 queries.