Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beatles For Sale, literally  (Read 3602 times)

paulfrasercollect

• One And One Is Two
Beatles For Sale, literally
« on: March 28, 2013, 04:55:18 PM »

Hi all,

A signed copy of Beatles For Sale has come up for auction, reportedly one of only three known to have survived:

http://www.paulfrasercollectibles.com/News/Beatles-For-Sale-signed-album-selling-for-$10,000-with-RR-Auction/13527.page

It is a bit tatty, but if there are only three examples left, I'm sure many people wouldn't argue with that.

I really like the Beatles For Sale album, despite it evidently being produced in a rush, I think it reflects what was to come in the Beatles career. This later period is where all of my favourite Beatles music was made.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Beatles For Sale, literally
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 11:32:29 PM »

I really like the Beatles For Sale album, despite it evidently being produced in a rush, I think it reflects what was to come in the Beatles career. This later period is where all of my favourite Beatles music was made.

I agree.  It's one of my favorite albums too.  I've always felt it was a signpost to their future and Rubber Soul.
I can stay till it's time to go

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 12:23:50 PM »

I agree too. There are some great songs here. You can see the transition from HDN to Help era. It also heralds the end of the "covers" and sets the stage for more sophisticated songs to follow.
I noticed too that it seems they were trying to figure out what to do with George a little more though I think they overdid it with his vocal double tracking and over recorded a couple of guitar parts. At least he was being considered and slowly coming into his own!
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2023, 06:16:51 AM »

The Beatles' fourth UK album, released today in 1964, featured a trendsetting gatefold sleeve adorned by Robert Freeman's iconic photography, along with these artfully prophetic words composed by press officer Derek Taylor:
"The young men themselves aren't for sale. Money, noisy though it is, doesn't talk that loud. But you can buy this album - you probably have, unless you're just browsing, in which case don't leave any dirty thumbprints on the sleeve!

Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2023, 06:31:24 AM »

The Beatles' fourth UK album, released today in 1964, featured a trendsetting gatefold sleeve adorned by Robert Freeman's iconic photography, along with these artfully prophetic words composed by press officer Derek Taylor:
"The young men themselves aren't for sale. Money, noisy though it is, doesn't talk that loud. But you can buy this album - you probably have, unless you're just browsing, in which case don't leave any dirty thumbprints on the sleeve!

I can remember reading that liner note as a kid.  Thought the cover was cool too.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2023, 09:11:08 PM »

That B & W picture, a bit of a forerunner to Pepper.

George's hair looking like an onion :)

Those LP's were magical.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 47 queries.