Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: I'm happy just to dance with you  (Read 2199 times)

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
I'm happy just to dance with you
« on: December 29, 2018, 04:24:59 PM »

I am listening to A Hard Day's Night and I am appreciating how great this song is!

Did George compose this?  It's got to be one of his earliest greatest songs.  Even if John or Paul wrote it, it's absolutely perfect for his voice.

I remember a disc jockey (far removed from the Beatles generation) saying how she wanted to hear this song over and over.  She said this to another lady in the studio. 

As I recall, this reinforces how popular the Beatles were with their female fans.  All those love songs!!
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
Re: I'm happy just to dance with you
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 06:26:20 PM »

Saw/heard it last night while watching AHDN, great song for George to sing for sure.  I believe John/Paul received credit for writing it.  Love the significant but insignificant backing harmonies that were so common in the early days.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 09:17:11 PM »

This was a good song for George to sing. It even sounds a bit like something he might write, at least musically, with that minor-ish feel to it. It’s like John and Paul had listened to Don’t bother Me and thought they’d try to capture a similar feel for George.  Although the lyrics are more straightforward teenage love song than George tended to write.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 11:43:22 PM »

This was a good song for George to sing. It even sounds a bit like something he might write, at least musically, with that minor-ish feel to it. It’s like John and Paul had listened to Don’t bother Me and thought they’d try to capture a similar feel for George.  Although the lyrics are more straightforward teenage love song than George tended to write.

I know what you mean about the minor-ish feel, like in 'I Need You'

Those 'Ohh Ooh's' in the background sound very dated now.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 12:07:13 AM »

;yes only because nobody uses that type of awesomeness in the last 30+ years

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 05:52:38 PM »

John wrote this song according to the book, "The Beatles - the Long and Winding Road - A History of the Beatles on Record," 1982, by Neville Stannard.

The song is very short:  1 minute and 57 seconds.  It was recorded on March 1st, 1964.  It feels unreal to know that's over 54 years ago!  I mean does this song sound like it's that old??

I don't know if anyone noticed but Ringo plays a loose-skinned Arabian bongo drum on the record.  (I didn't know this; I read it in another book.)

Interesting tidbit:  Paul commented that this was a song that was targeted toward the fans and he noted that the Beatles often didn't like these types of songs but they knew their fans did.
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 05:06:12 PM »

To me they sound as great now as they did in 1964.

One thing I like about this song is that is seems to reference other previous Beatle songs of the time : "I don't wanna ... hold your hand" and "I don't need to .. hold you tight".

Another thing I like is the progression towards the line "I've discovered I'm in love with you" which justifies the final backing vocals taking over to the climax.

Page created in 0.397 seconds with 50 queries.