Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Scorsese Harrison Documentary  (Read 27970 times)

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
Scorsese Harrison Documentary
« on: September 27, 2007, 12:35:30 PM »

Just woke up to hear this on the radio so I looked it up. Sounds cool. Here's some info:

Scorsese to direct Harrison film
Docu to cover artist's music, movie careers
By MICHAEL FLEMING Martin Scorsese has committed to direct an untitled documentary about the life of George Harrison.
Scorsese will produce with Harrison's widow Olivia and Nigel Sinclair in a co-production between Scorsese's Sikelia Prods., Harrison's Grove Street Prods., and Sinclair's Spitfire Pictures.

The docu is being constructed as a theatrical release, and the Harrison family will supply materials from its extensive archive. Interviews and early production will begin later this year, and the film will take several years to complete.

Pic will cover Harrison's Beatles career and later years that included a successful solo music career as well as a foray as a movie mogul when he backed Handmade Films and made pics such as "Monty Python's Life of Brian" and "Time Bandits." Scorsese, who explored themes of faith in "Kundun" and "The Last Temptation of Christ," will also focus closely on the Eastern spiritual pursuits that were central to Harrison's life.

The docu will be edited by David Tedeschi, who served the same role on the Scorsese-directed Rolling Stones film "Shine A Light." Tedeschi was also editor on the Scorsese-directed "No Direction Home: Bob Dylan."

Spitfire's Sinclair was a producer on the Dylan film with Scorsese, and he just teamed with Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend as a producer on "Amazing Journey: The Story of the Who," which will be released on DVD by Universal on Nov. 5.

Sikelia's Margaret Bodde will be exec producer of the Harrison film.

"George Harrison's music and his search for spiritual meaning is a story that still resonates today and I'm looking forward to delving deeper," Scorsese said.

It is expected that Harrison's surviving Beatles bandmates Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr will participate, as well as the Beatles' Apple Records, which counts Olivia Harrison as a partner.

Harrison met her husband in 1974 and they were together until he died of lung cancer at age 58 in 2001. The two of them famously fought off and subdued an attacker who broke into the Harrison home and stabbed the guitarist several times in 1999. She was also the catalyst for the tribute show "The Concert for George," and organized a reissue of "The Concert for Bangladesh," which Harrison put together in 1971.

"It would have given George great joy to know that Martin Scorsese has agreed to tell his story," she said.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
Re: Scorsese Harrison Documentary
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 03:41:12 AM »

Oh, this is FANTASTIC! Thanks for sharing this, Sandra! I loved "Kundun". I can't wait to see what Scorsese does with the life of Harrison. Can I be an extra?  :)
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Pasta Cheif

• Getting Better
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 09:39:24 AM »

Great news, thanks Sandra!
&quot;Dont take life seriously, you'll never get out of it alive&quot;

Buttmunker

• Getting Better
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 12:40:18 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070927/ap_en_mo/people_scorsese_harrison

LOS ANGELES - Martin Scorsese will direct a documentary film on the late Beatles guitarist George Harrison.

"Harrison's music and his search for spiritual meaning is a story that still resonates today and I'm looking forward to delving deeper," Scorsese said in an e-mailed press release Thursday.

"It would have given George great joy to know that Martin Scorsese has agreed to tell his story," Harrison's widow, Olivia, said.

Scorsese, who won his first Academy Award this year for directing "The Departed," has made other films focusing on music stars, including the 2005 documentary "No Direction Home: Bob Dylan" and 1978's "The Last Waltz."

Harrison, born in Liverpool, England, and the youngest of the Beatles, died at 58 in Los Angeles on Nov. 29, 2001, after battling lung cancer and a brain tumor.

komakino

• Getting Better
  • fly me to the moon
    • last.fm
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 12:57:36 PM »

yay! that's great, i love no direction home, can't wait for it  :)
george george whoops george whoops george george george

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 02:05:19 PM »

i just think this is odd!
I love Scorsese's movie's but this seems like a
strange think for him to do. I think he could direct
a good Beatles documentry with actors playing them.

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Buttmunker

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 02:16:17 PM »

What was the general consensus on Scorsese's "Bob Dylan" doc from 2005?  Good or bad or indifferent?

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 02:18:40 PM »

Don't forget he did The Last Waltz with The Band and No Direction Home about Dylan, so he's no stranger to the rock genre.
Good luck to him, making George's post Beatle career interesting will need all his talents.
don't follow leaders

ElementaryPenguin

• A Beginning
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 07:24:19 PM »

Could be interesting, Scorses's a good director, he should do it justice.
[size=14] &quot;Reality leaves a lot to the imagination&quot;-JL<br /><br />&quot;It's fear of the unknown. The unknown is what it is. And to be frightened of it is what sends everybody scurryi

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2007, 01:05:46 AM »

Quote from: 828
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070927/ap_en_mo/people_scorsese_harrison

Scorsese, who won his first Academy Award this year for directing "The Departed," has made other films focusing on music stars, including the 2005 documentary "No Direction Home: Bob Dylan" and 1978's "The Last Waltz."

I love Martin S. --the brilliant works cited above (which I also own) is exactly the reason why I know he'll do a fantastic job on George's bio.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2007, 12:14:48 AM »

can't wait  :)

Bungalow Bill

• A Beginning
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 01:54:32 AM »

This has been on my mind for weeks i'm genuinely excited for it
<br /><br />The All Knower of 1 Second Song Clips

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 05:33:55 AM »

Yes I heard about this!!! Wonderful director, I am really really stoked to see this.  I think he will do George justice.  
<br />

awc1967

• A Beginning
  • arrive without travelling
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 04:54:17 AM »

If it's anything like the 1988 john lennon documentary  , imagine: john lennon, it will be so great.
i have a great deal of respect for scorsese.
i hope that he denies heather her request to be interviewed, she has nothing to add.
i know he will interview, paul, ringo, olivia and dhani, but i hope also  yoko, dylan, lynne,petty, keltner, george martin and geoff emerick too.
 ;)
I've got a feeling,I think that everybody knows

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 04:40:23 PM »

Quote from: 1267
i hope that he denies heather her request to be interviewed, she has nothing to add.
The trouble is, he might think that she does. To my dismay, I learned she was present at Paul and George's final conversation. She may be jockeying to spill her story (for a high price) about this famous meeting. The trouble is twofold:

1. Would anyone believe her?
2. ICK ICK ICK!! This is a deathbed conversation. For crying out loud, can't we leave it private?

Just my two cents. But I trust Scorsese to make a good film.

All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

awc1967

• A Beginning
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2008, 05:48:30 PM »

Quote from: 551
The trouble is, he might think that she does. To my dismay, I learned she was present at Paul and George's final conversation. She may be jockeying to spill her story (for a high price) about this famous meeting. The trouble is twofold:

1. Would anyone believe her?
2. ICK ICK ICK!! This is a deathbed conversation. For crying out loud, can't we leave it private?

Just my two cents. But I trust Scorsese to make a good film.

I  truly hope if martin allows her to comment, that paul, ringo, and olivia pull their support out of it.
heather just won't stop, she got her money, but still continues to whine.
I'm sure it's already been said but yoko has lost her dragon lady title.
I  too trust scorsese will do the right thing.
yoko wasn't too happy with cynthia and may pang being involved in the Imagine: john lennon movie, but they were allowed by andrew solt.
not to compare cynthia and may with heather.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2008, 07:36:18 PM »

Quote from: 1267
I  truly hope if martin allows her to comment, that paul, ringo, and olivia pull their support out of it.
Whew, thanks! You give me hope.

not to compare cynthia and may with heather.
Well, we could, but I don't think we'd get very far. :D

awc1967

• A Beginning
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2008, 10:25:38 PM »

Quote from: 551
Whew, thanks! You give me hope.

Well, we could, but I don't think we'd get very far. :D

i honestly beleive it will be a great bio of george.
i'm looking forward to george telling his own story as john did in imagine : john lennon.
i am hearing great things about scorsese's work with the rolling stones, shine a light.
 8)

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2008, 12:14:27 AM »

I think Scorses has too much respect for George to put anything shameful in the movie like a deathbed conversation.  That is something that is extremely private and personal and has no place in a film the whole world will have access too.
Somethings are just not appropriate.  I know we all want to know every detail, but people deserve their dignity and resepect.

I am looking forward to this film, I know he will do a great job.  
<br />

awc1967

• A Beginning
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2008, 02:53:06 AM »

Quote from: 1204
I think Scorses has too much respect for George to put anything shameful in the movie like a deathbed conversation.  That is something that is extremely private and personal and has no place in a film the whole world will have access too.
Somethings are just not appropriate.  I know we all want to know every detail, but people deserve their dignity and resepect.

I am looking forward to this film, I know he will do a great job.  
most likely there will be a soundtrack too, maybe featuring unreleased george solo songs.
there were many other songs recorded for the brainwashed cd, such as a song called valentine.
actually i heard there were around 35 songs left from that session, i was hoping for one more last studio album, but i guess those songs were not complete enough for release.
 :)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Page created in 0.285 seconds with 93 queries.