Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 107

Author Topic: Last movies you saw & what you thought of them  (Read 193876 times)

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Last movies you saw & what you thought of them
« Reply #880 on: January 17, 2013, 02:15:11 PM »

Hello everybody! Congratulations on all the recent holidays! I saw a very nice film the other day. LIFE of PI. I fell in love with it at once. It is interesting, gripping, exciting, beautiful and very clever. It gives food for thought and looks at our reality from a rather new angle.
I liked everything in the movie, the actors, especially the Indian boy, his parents, and of course, the TIGER! You leave the cinema emotional and happy. The people in the end applauded... )))

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #881 on: January 18, 2013, 03:39:44 AM »

I watched Svenghoulie this weekend and he had a 1932 movie called Island of Lost Souls. It was an adaptation of H. G. Wells, Island of Dr. Moreau. It stared Charles Laughton and Bella Lugosi (as the Giver of the Law). I thought it was really good. Those old movies usually put me to sleep but this one was well acted and had many underlying themes. I liked it.
"Are we not men?"
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Octie

• A Thousand Pages
  • It's sunshine life for me...
« Reply #882 on: January 19, 2013, 03:37:42 AM »

Last one I watched was Life of Pi (like you, Jane :) ).
I thought the actor who played Pi did really well, basically being the only speaking/non-animal character for the majority of the movie.
I also thought the ending was quite interesting (although I must admit that I misinterpreted it at first). I am now reading the novel :)
I'd ask my friends to come and see... an Octopus's Garden with me ^___^

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #883 on: January 20, 2013, 12:52:54 AM »

We saw Brave tonight. Very cute. I like the Scotsman with the white hair. Straight up!
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Dmitry

• Administrator
  • A Thousand Pages
    • www.murashev.com
« Reply #884 on: January 20, 2013, 12:11:46 PM »

A wonderful movie with Bette Davis "Mr. Skeffington" with a perfect ending!

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #885 on: January 20, 2013, 08:47:35 PM »

Last one I watched was Life of Pi (like you, Jane :) ).
I thought the actor who played Pi did really well, basically being the only speaking/non-animal character for the majority of the movie.
I also thought the ending was quite interesting (although I must admit that I misinterpreted it at first). I am now reading the novel :)

Hello, Octie! I especially liked the ending, "which story do you like more, with the tiger or without it?" Wow, everything was different then...
In fact, you can choose any story you like, any course of events, because it DOESN`T matter, it won`t explain anything, and you will never know why the ship sank, or how it all started, or, for example, how Life started, or...
Do you like the book, Octie? I read it just after I had seen the movie. I believe the book is very cruel, but this is LIFE, it all seems quite true... The age gradation for the movie can be 6+, but for the book it could be 14+... ???

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #886 on: January 28, 2013, 12:18:19 AM »

I watched Svenghoulie this weekend and he had a 1932 movie called Island of Lost Souls. It was an adaptation of H. G. Wells, Island of Dr. Moreau.
Brilliant book! I always thought a movie adaptation of it will be scary hehe.... Was it a scary/graphic movie?

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #887 on: January 28, 2013, 01:29:09 PM »

Brilliant book! I always thought a movie adaptation of it will be scary hehe.... Was it a scary/graphic movie?
It was actually in it's way. I thought the 1932 costumes and makeup were far better than any digital special effects a movie like this would get today. I think it might be Bella Lugosis best portrayal in his role as "The Lawgiver"! When an infraction of the law is committed He asks his gathered 1/2 man-beast bretheran "Are we not men?" and they answer as a question the in the same way"Are we not men?" in unison. Very effective in trying to control the instinct vs. morality problem (without a soul to guide them from the inside) these long sufferring hybrids go though.
One other thing I really liked was that there were long shots done from afar in the jungle scenes. Whenever the humans would walk down a jungle path there would always be a man/animal sauntering across a fallen tree above their heads or behind a bush being stocked and watched all the time without being seen. A bit unnerving.
Without giving too much away I liked this one. It's still a 1930's horror flick and can be a bit slow at times but it kept me watching. It was considered unnatural and unfit in many communities in the midwest and was banned from many theaters when it was released!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 02:47:02 PM by Dcazz »
Mark Twain

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #888 on: January 28, 2013, 08:04:27 PM »

It was actually in it's way. I thought the 1932 costumes and makeup were far better than any digital special effects a movie like this would get today. I think it might be Bella Lugosis best portrayal in his role as "The Lawgiver"! When an infraction of the law is committed He asks his gathered 1/2 man-beast bretheran "Are we not men?" and they answer as a question the in the same way"Are we not men?" in unison. Very effective in trying to control the instinct vs. morality problem (without a soul to guide them from the inside) these long sufferring hybrids go though.
One other thing I really liked was that there were long shots done from afar in the jungle scenes. Whenever the humans would walk down a jungle path there would always be a man/animal sauntering across a fallen tree above their heads or behind a bush being stocked and watched all the time without being seen. A bit unnerving.
Without giving too much away I liked this one. It's still a 1930's horror flick and can be a bit slow at times but it kept me watching. It was considered unnatural and unfit in many communities in the midwest and was banned from many theaters when it was released!
Thanks for that review! I am eager to watch it now!

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #889 on: February 04, 2013, 04:20:12 PM »

Retreat. I thought it wouls be better. Acouple on a Scottish Ilse trying to rekindle their marriage miss a fatal outbreak of a killer virus on the mainland but unknowingly invite it into their cottage when a stranger washes up on the shore with a wild story to gain their trust! Feel free to miss it!
Mark Twain

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #890 on: February 04, 2013, 06:32:47 PM »

The Box

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #891 on: February 04, 2013, 08:15:35 PM »

I`ve seen Anna Karenina - the new American film with Keira Knightley and Jude Law. It is made as a theatre production with a few scenes outdoors. I enjoyed it very much! I believe that this theatrical version is very successful and helps to avoid cheap imitation of the Russian reality of that time, which is likely to be viewed by a Russian audience with a condescending smile. No such thing this time. All is very professional, the actors are perfect, especially Jude as Karenin, Keira is quite good, though a bit hysterical. The only minus is our dear Aaron Taylor-Johnson who played John Lennon in the movie Nowhere Boy, where I loved his acting. However in Anna Karenina he looked too young for Vronsky, too sweet and with very rosy cheeks like a baby. For Russians it is rather funny to see such a Vronsky. )))

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #892 on: February 23, 2013, 09:11:05 PM »

I am absolutely delighted with the movie Les Miserables. Though it is rather trying... The audience cried their eyes out... (((
But it is a real piece of art!

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #893 on: February 24, 2013, 02:14:05 AM »

Moneyball! Good movie with lots of tension at the end!
Mark Twain

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #894 on: February 25, 2013, 02:44:22 AM »

The Departed.  Quite the uplifting movie on a long flight.   :o

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #895 on: March 18, 2013, 11:39:45 AM »

Watched War Horse last week. I really liked it.
Mark Twain

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #896 on: March 21, 2013, 04:39:13 AM »

The Mask

The Mask - Police Dance Scene (Cuban Pete)

Hit it!

;D
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #897 on: March 21, 2013, 04:46:33 AM »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #898 on: March 22, 2013, 03:52:14 AM »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #899 on: April 14, 2013, 03:24:14 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 107

Page created in 0.383 seconds with 87 queries.