Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Dave Dee  (Read 1585 times)

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
Dave Dee
« on: January 11, 2009, 12:46:29 PM »

Was sorry to read yesterday that Dave Dee had died. I knew he had cancer a few years ago but thought he'd beaten it. When Virginia and I first moved to London when I managed the Four Pennies, we began to live in the Madison Hotel in Sussex Gardens. It was run by a woman, I think her name was Peggy, and her son. Virginia and I were able to rent a room with an en suite bathroom for £9 a week. The hotel was small, but all the clients were from the business. Apart from Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich, there were the Four Pennies, Hedgehoppers Anonymous, Ayesha and others. We used to have long chats at breakfast over the cornflakes and I remember I often played cards with Peggy's son and the wagers were paperback books - and I built up quite a library! I often think it would make an interesting theme for a comedy tv show to have a small hotel crammed with pop artists, just like the Madison. There was a similar small hotel where disc jockey Jimmy Saville stayed.
I also remember Suzi Quatro lived in a hotel in Earls Court and was very lonely. She passed her time by painting and sticking her work on the walls.

BlueMeanie

Re: Dave Dee
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 12:52:55 PM »

Heard this yesterday. Very sad. 'Hold Tight' is still one of my favourite 60's songs.

Didn't Jimmy Saville live in a place like that for about 30 years?

Ged

• A Beginning
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 12:52:46 PM »

I often wondered if that song title would have been better as, and done by........  'Hold Tight' by the hollies

Bobber

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 01:11:30 PM »

Sad news. I remember enjoying The Legend Of Xanadu a lot when I was a kid.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 09:10:20 PM »

Can't get 'Zabadak' out of my head lately.

:-/

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 45 queries.