Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: In His Life: The John Lennon Story  (Read 5331 times)

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
In His Life: The John Lennon Story
« on: May 09, 2007, 01:02:11 PM »

anybody remember this made for tv movie that aired in December 2000 on NBC? It was a look at John's early life all the way up to when the Beatles found out that I Want To Hold Your Hand had hit #1 in America.

In Liverpool in the 1950s, a young man named John Lennon (Philip McQuillen) combats the traditional education system and the wishes of his well-meaning aunt, Mimi Smith (Blair Brown), to become a musician in the incipient field of rock & roll. He forms a number of bands and with each new effort his local audience grows. Soon, he's teamed up with Stuart Sutcliffe (Lee Williams, George Harrison (Mark Rice-Oxley), Pete Best (Scot Williams), and Paul McCartney (Daniel McGowan), and collectively known as the Beatles, they draw the attention of music promoter Brian Epstein (Jamie Glover) who ushers them into the big time. Sutcliffe and Best are dropped from the band, Ringo Starr (Kristian Ealey) is added, and the rest is musical history.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Re: In His Life: The John Lennon Story
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 04:35:28 PM »

It was hilarious. It stops before it gets interestng though.

The walrus

• A Beginning
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 05:22:17 AM »

omg! this is the movie that first got me into John Lennon and The Beatles!!! lol. I saw it about 2 months ago. and i was kind of disapointed that it stoped early but if it was to the end it would be really long wouldn't it? lol. thanks for posting.
&quot;We don’t like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out.&quot; <br />- Decca Recording Co. rejecting the Beatles, 1962

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 05:41:57 AM »

Quote from: 366
It stops before it gets interestng though.

Yea I agree. It stops when they get Ringo in. So they stop in the :begining of the Beatles".  It was quite sad though...

And they were too Irish (no offence to the language). And Cynthia (whoever played her) is way better looking in the movie than in real life (no offence to her either).

But yea, it was a good film- it sort of conveyed the right mood.

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Octie

• A Thousand Pages
  • It's sunshine life for me...
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 06:44:56 AM »

Quote from: 596
It was quite sad though...

Yeh, I found some parts really sad... especially the bit when John's mum dies and he goes to his room and starts playing/singing Love Me Tender...  :'(

Quote from: 366
It stops before it gets interestng though.

That's true, but, to be honest... I was actually glad it didn't stop at the actual "end" (and I don't mean just the breakup...)
[size=9]but maybe that's just me[/size]
I'd ask my friends to come and see... an Octopus's Garden with me ^___^

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 02:34:43 PM »

Quote from: 610
Yeh, I found some parts really sad... especially the bit when John's mum dies and he goes to his room and starts playing/singing Love Me Tender...  :'(
[...]
Really sad ... he was feeling so helpless! :-/

Buttmunker

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 11:38:05 PM »

Just watched it over the weekend, and as Paul would say, "it had some good bits."  

Alas, it also had bullspit.  Like when John and his friend are in the cemetery, and they notice a tombstone with the name Eleanor Rigby (which was supposed to lead the viewer to believe that John thought of the song).  

I also didn't care for the "faces" of the Beatles.  The actor who played John sounded just like the guy, however, it looked really nothing like John.  The nose was too small, his upper lip was "too Elvis."  

I can accept artistic license to change events to help move the film, and with that in mind, I thought it was a decent film.  The actor portraying Stuart was spot-on.  Macca was okay; George, well, they could have found a better George.  And forget about the dude who played Ringo.

I like how they managed to fit in some "good bits," such as when John, after becoming a success, presents his aunt Mimi with a little plaque saying: 'you'll never make a living playing a guitar' [sic], words to that effect she used when she tried to deter John from leaving for Germany back in the beginning.

emmi_luvs_beatles

• A Thousand Pages
  • I'm an Expert.
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 01:10:08 AM »

Okay, I did search for a topic on this and didn't get anything, so here we go.

Me and my friend were going to watch a movie on TV, but she had to go do something before we started. So I was flipping channels until she got back and found this movie on Vh1 Classic. "In His Life: The John Lennon Story" and I got all exited because there was Hamburg Beatles playing, and they seemed like good actors (exept "John's" voice was a bit off) but the movie was already an hour in and I promised my friend we would watch her movie. And then later I checked back to see if it would be on again, (because Vh1 Classic repeats stuff over and over) and it wouldn't be.

*done with overly long story* Anyways, I then checked if I could buy/rent it (I checked our library website and Amazon) and apparently it's out of print or something?? Because even if I wanted to buy it used it was like $30, so do you know of somewhere I could watch it on the internet or how I could get my hands on a copy of it?

Or, do you know of another good Docudrama I could watch?

Bobber

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 12:10:18 PM »

Okay, I did search for a topic on this and didn't get anything, so here we go.

ha2ha

Never mind, I merged the threads.

emmi_luvs_beatles

• A Thousand Pages
  • I'm an Expert.
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 01:46:28 PM »

ha2ha

Never mind, I merged the threads.

Aw.. How did I not find this? Ugh.

;sorry

Eliza

• Getting Better
  • You've got a new horizon It's ephemeral style
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 10:14:23 PM »

I saw this last night I laughed so hard  ;D ;D
Put yer tongue away it looks digusting hanging out all pinked and naked!-George Harrison

Love forever, love is free Let's turn forever you and me Windmill, windmill for the land Is everybody in?

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 66 queries.