Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Time On Stage  (Read 6185 times)

Bobber

Time On Stage
« on: April 05, 2007, 11:47:06 AM »

I'm having a discussion elsewhere about Ringo's and Pete Best's time on stage with The Beatles. I'm stating that Pete spent more time on stage with The Beatles than Ringo did. Just look at all the Hamburg and Cavern hours (plus lunchtime sessions). That went on somewhat in late '62 and early '63, but since then it's just the half an hour routine sets that The Beatles were playing. But I seem to be the only one who thinks that Pete spent more time on stage with The Beatles. What do you think?

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
Re: Time On Stage
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 03:21:16 PM »

Interesting topic. It would involve math, which I'm too lazy to do. But roughly:

6 hrs/day for each Hamburg day. If you want to get really granular, you'd have to add more for the nights they had to stay longer, but there is no real good record of actual hours played, as far as I know.

1/2 hour for each official Beatles tour after 64 or so. I think in 63 they still were doing 45-min sets and 2-hour sets along with shorter ones, depending on the venue. For the Helen S tour, I think it was 15 minutes each appearance. Then you have to figure how many houses per night. O_o

EVERYTHING ELSE. Holy cow, the tours these guys did. I think you'd need a record of Brian's appt book. The Beatles did 3 appearances a day sometimes. Before "Love Me Do", it was mostly live stage appearances. Afterwards, would you add in television appearances as "on stage"? If yes, would you include the mimed ones, since they weren't really playing? So many angles to consider. An interesting problem.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 03:33:46 PM »

I would include only live on stage concerts. Don't forget Ringo did a few sessions in Hamburg too.
My gut feeling is that Bobber is right, but lordy, some anoraks going to  have to sit down and work this out. Mines at the cleaners at the mo.
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 05:11:42 PM »

I think Bobber's right. But I'm not going to sit down and try to prove it!

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 11:26:06 PM »

Bobber's caught an interesting topic!
This is something i've never thought about and i'm considering
you may be right!

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Revolution

• Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 05:10:42 AM »

Hmmmmmm....... would be cool to know!

Bobber

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 07:58:06 AM »

Whenever I got some spare time on my hands, I will sit down and count with Mark Lewisohn...

BlueMeanie

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 08:11:17 AM »

Quote from: 63
Whenever I got some spare time on my hands, I will sit down and count with Mark Lewisohn...

Better to try to contact Mr. L. I bet he doesn't have the exact figures but he'll have a very good idea. Basically, if he doesn't know then nobody does.

Bobber

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 06:14:14 PM »

I'm up to December 1960 and so far Pete is in the lead.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 06:27:18 PM »

Whahoo! We should start a pool.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 09:20:59 PM »

Pete 234 - Ringo 100 ;D

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

BlueMeanie

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2007, 07:58:46 AM »

I'm up to December 1960 and so far Pete is in the lead.

;D

Bobber

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2007, 11:26:19 AM »

Does anybody know how long the lunchtime concert in the Cavern usually took?

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2007, 03:33:07 PM »

Wow, I just read this somewhere-- I think it was in Cyn's book John. She's talking about how the girls would get made up and rush over to be there by 1, but then they had to get back by... ??? (To be at their desks for the afternoon's work). I'd say probably no more than an hour, maybe 45 minutes actually on stage? I'll have to get that book out of the library again and check.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2007, 05:09:40 PM »

I reckon 45 minutes. No more.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2007, 03:04:13 PM »

Does anybody know how long the lunchtime concert in the Cavern usually took?
Okay, Bobber, I checked the library yesterday.  No love.  I checked Cynthia's book John, Elizabeth Partridge's book on John, and Ray Coleman's book Lennon.  None of them contained the anecdote which I know I read somewhere recently.  It describes a young office worker getting ready for a cavern session, rushing over there, and returning to her desk before the boss got too mad.  Since I couldn't find it in any of the previous books, I assume it must be in Goldman's Lives of John Lennon.  Unfortunately, that book is in a different library.

Ray Coleman did have an interesting anecdote from a former Cavern girl, now the manager of the Beatles store in Liverpool.  According to her, the Cavern sessions began at noon.  She and her girlfriends would get ready to leave about 11:45 a.m.  Depending on what ferry they made, they could get there shortly after 12 or, if they missed the first ferry, they would get there at 12:40 p.m.  The woman is quoted as describing it was "worth it".  This blows my 45-minute session theory.  I can't imagine all that work would be "worth it" for a 45-minute session if they only caught the last 5 minutes.  Therefore I assume that the Beatles must have been on at least until 1 p.m., possibly longer.

I'll see if I can find that interview with the former office worker.  She did give the exact time that she had to be back at her desk.  I'm pretty sure it was probably 2 p.m., particularly if the cavern sessions began at noon.

Good luck!  I really want to hear your results. Cheers!

Bobber

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2007, 03:11:32 PM »

^Thanks for the work. I'll count an hour for every lunchtime session.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2007, 04:09:50 AM »

Hari: If she was an office worker she would definately not have been given more than an hour for lunch. And if she was regularly late back she would eventually have been fired. Lunchtime would - for most people - have been for one hour between 12 and 2. So I'm guessing that they may have done 2 sets of, say 45 minutes each. Only a guess, mind.

It may say in the Anthology book. I'll have a look later.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2007, 04:19:15 AM »

Thanks, BM!  I was also wondering if the Beatles did more than one set. I'm sure this must be documented somewhere.  The question is, where? *flails*

BlueMeanie

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2007, 04:43:01 AM »

I don't really keep up with books about The Beatles, so I don't know, but maybe there's a book about The Cavern? Or did Mal Evans ever write a book?
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 77 queries.