News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Irks  (Read 9190 times)

Mrs Lennon

• A Thousand Pages
  • Standing or Sitting When Not Lying Down
Re: Irks
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2009, 05:55:42 PM »

Is it true that in some dialects the word 'aluminum' is pronounced 'all-yoo-min-ee-um' instead of 'uh-loo-mih-num'?
I say the latter of the two.
Music is like candy; you throw away the rappers.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2009, 06:07:07 PM »

Quote from: 1062
What about the English words that don't sound phonetically the way they are written? You know the ones, give us some examples. Also, the way posh people pronounce certain words differently from working class people. A working place person would say 'pass' as p -ass'
a posh person would say 'parse.' I notice in the posh pronunciations there is the introduction of the 'r'.

I believe the English spelling is really very difficult. The French, the Russian, the Spanish spelling is quite easy. But English! For example, some words I see right now: disguised, loyalty, allegiance, convalesce, rhetoric, conceal and conceive, consciousness, aggression, ancestors, consequences, yield, pursue. And pronunciation: expertise (why not  pronounce it as -tais-?), catastrophe (why not -trouf-?), discontinuity is difficult to guess how to pronounce.  

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2009, 09:01:49 PM »

Quote from: 1657
Is it true that in some dialects the word 'aluminum' is pronounced 'all-yoo-min-ee-um' instead of 'uh-loo-mih-num'?
I say the latter of the two.

Yup, it's true.  I've heard Brits say the former.

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2009, 09:13:24 PM »

i say it as al-u -minium

Octie

• A Thousand Pages
  • It's sunshine life for me...
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2009, 01:30:34 AM »

^ yeah, I go "al-lu-min-ee-um"...

Quote from: 1393

I believe the English spelling is really very difficult. The French, the Russian, the Spanish spelling is quite easy. But English! For example, some words I see right now: disguised, loyalty, allegiance, convalesce, rhetoric, conceal and conceive, consciousness, aggression, ancestors, consequences, yield, pursue. And pronunciation: expertise (why not  pronounce it as -tais-?), catastrophe (why not -trouf-?), discontinuity is difficult to guess how to pronounce.  

Yeah, spelling.... I could never spell "itinerary" (I probably misspelled it now (lol) ) And I always mix up conscience and consciousness. I used to think "conscience" was pronounced "con-science"... oops :B
I think French spelling is not always that straight-forward either... (although I used to like French spelling tests at school ;D )
I'd ask my friends to come and see... an Octopus's Garden with me ^___^

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2009, 12:50:58 PM »

paying for health care, dental care and all other things that should be free to tax payers, while bums and layabouts get everything going. And i'm not talking about people who genuinely can't work or have health problems i'm talking about people who play on the system and drug addicts with no intention of helping themselves.

Tommorow in total i have nearly £400 to spend on various things thats nearly 2 weeks earnings :(

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2009, 03:52:35 PM »

Another irk of mine is when TV series end on a cliffhanger and you anticipate the new series opener. I like 'The Sarah Connor Chronicles' and there was an amazing cliffhanger at the end of the second series. Then a Fox executive cancelled the show, so we're left in the air. The new series concept promised to be even better than the previous two. It received several awards, critical acclaim and had far highter ratings that shows such as 'Dollhouse', which were renewed.
But it's always been the case - the Robinson Family were always lost in space and never got home and the two scientists trapped in the Time Tunnel never made it back to their own time either - I'm not even sure whether the people trapped on the Land of the Giants ever got back to earth!

MandyBuglet

• A Beginning
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2009, 06:46:23 PM »

One irk of mine is that the company I work for is too cheap to offer medical benefits to 30 hour workers and keep offering it to the 40 hour workers right under our noses.

And there aren't any 40 hour openings where I work.

*doesn't have medical insurance* :(

Octie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2009, 11:41:43 AM »

The uni email system!! Very irksome. Arrrrgh!!! It just gave me a major panic attack ??)
It displays all the messages in "threads" and when you send an email it looks like you sent it to all the people that were in that thread, even if you just sent it to one of them. I just emailed something confidential to an important person and it looked like I emailed it to a whole lot of other people too (afraid4) Don't know what would happen if I actually did that X_X
Phew, what a fright.... I wish they never changed the email system (shakehead1)

Mrs Lennon

• A Thousand Pages
  • Standing or Sitting When Not Lying Down
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2009, 08:55:03 PM »

I find it very annoying when the California cheese industry run their "Good cheese comes from happy cows. Happy cows come from California"in THE CHEESE STATE. Very petty, I know. Nothing personal, all you Californians.  :P
Music is like candy; you throw away the rappers.

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2009, 12:18:47 AM »

I find it very annoying when the California cheese industry run their "Good cheese comes from happy cows. Happy cows come from California"in THE CHEESE STATE. Very petty, I know. Nothing personal, all you Californians.  :P

HAHAHA! I am in California and the first thing I thought of was, what about Wisconsin? Those commercials are annoying anyways!
<br />

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2009, 01:16:03 AM »

I hate the local Top 40 radio station. My place of work has it on constantly, and it's very annoying. They play the same awful songs three times a day, with irritating commercials. They also play My Immortal practically EVERY DAY! Still!!! WTF?
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

HeyJude18

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Love and Peace are eternal" - John Lennon
    • le blog
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2009, 02:16:04 AM »

Quote from: 218
They also play My Immortal practically EVERY DAY! Still!!! WTF?

Really?  I hadn't heard that song in years (I must admit Evanescence's first album was quite possibly my favourite CD when I was in grade 8), until a girl skated to to... it was such a poor cut of the music :o lol

And tis the same with all top 40 stations... and the "soft rock" ones (they broke my not listening to Celine Dion streak!)  Speaking of Celine Dion... that's another irk lol!!

RAIN-ed on: July 17, 2010; STARR-strucked: July 23, 2010; PAUL-inated: August 8, 2010

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2009, 06:02:51 AM »

My "beef" (ha) with that is that I bet those cows aren't happy anyway, being all penned up in their factory farms. :-/  I don't understand why they would show that ad in Wisconsin, too.  If anything, I'd say that California is an orange state....right?  Or is that Florida?

And cheese...  My husband is from Europe so his family is big on eating European cheeses.  No more Kraft singles allowed in my house!   :P

Bobber

« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2010, 01:47:14 PM »

The monster-in-law.

RingoFan1964

• Getting Better
  • Have you ever wished upon a Starr?
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2010, 06:33:29 AM »

People that spell a lot as one word.  2ch
A Starr like no other.

^All my best boys are in this picture.

Octie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2010, 11:16:13 AM »

ha2ha

Some people spell "have" as "of", as in "I should of done that".
I don't really mind it these days, but when I was reading Oracles and Miracles for school, and one of the characters used that particular grammatical peculiarity *all* the time, it somehow really annoyed me :D

But what's annoying/irking me right now is that the price of bus passes is going to increase on Friday. They are using a relatively small rise in GST (aka VAT in other countries) to justify a huge rise in the bus pass price. Not nice.

emmi_luvs_beatles

• A Thousand Pages
  • I'm an Expert.
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2010, 09:32:24 PM »

One "irk" I have is people who don't understand something even though they were told it about 500 times -.- Gaah.

Oh, and homophobes.

freakchic9

• A Thousand Pages
  • =D
« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2010, 01:33:44 AM »

People who tell you the wrong time.

My clock will say 9:20, and my dad will be like, "IT'S 9:30. GET OFF THE COMPUTER." I have 10 minutes. Stop it. I have time.

8)
<|\
 |
 ^

Too cool, yah?

BeatleBug

• One And One Is Two
    • When The Last Beatles Gone
« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2010, 03:28:30 AM »

Inconsiderate people.  only thinking of themselves.  Sure we all do it sometimes but not all the time
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 93 queries.