Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: waterfalls.......  (Read 3644 times)

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
waterfalls.......
« on: May 09, 2004, 01:22:25 AM »

a bore or a masterpeice?

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: waterfalls.......
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2004, 02:45:51 AM »

I hate McCartney 2, but this song is an over looked masterpiece in my opinion. 'Waterfalls' alone would make me buy the record.

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2004, 04:07:36 AM »

Do you not think, tkitna, that WATERFALLS is the sort of thing Macca could knock up in half an hour on a lazy Sunday afternoon?

So I don't think it's a masterpiece by any stretch. However, I wouldn't call it a bore either: it's the best song on Macca 2, easily.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2004, 04:17:20 AM »

you had better be real girl.........

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2004, 05:40:35 AM »

[quote by=pc31 link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1084065745,s=3 date=1084076240]you had better be real girl.........[/quote]

Meaning?

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2004, 06:33:48 AM »

[quote by=Maria link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1084065745,s=2 date=1084075656]Do you not think, tkitna, that WATERFALLS is the sort of thing Macca could knock up in half an hour on a lazy Sunday afternoon?[/quote]

Maybe, maybe not. I do think that 95% of the musical population would kill to write a song this good though.

So I don't think it's a masterpiece by any stretch. However, I wouldn't call it a bore either: it's the best song on Macca 2, easily.

You know what Maria, as much as I enjoy a good debate, I cant argue your point. I agree whole heartedly that its the best song on Mac 2, but as for being a masterpiece or not,,,,,i'll have to give it a long good listen on Monday before I give my final assessment. (I work tomorrow and I believe a song doesnt get its fair shake unless i've drank a few and hit the headphones). I'll have to get back to you.

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2004, 09:17:34 PM »

Waterfalls has always sounded a bit dreary to me. It was a fairly minor hit over here though.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2004, 01:15:43 AM »

Ok, I gave the song a few good listenings and i've come to the conclusion that its not a masterpiece, but it could have been. Lyrically, its a bit weak. Polar bears wanting to take you home and all,,,,,whatever. I didnt dig the double tracked backing vocals with the effects either. I would have liked that to come across a little cleaner. Musically its really good,,,,not great, but good. Paul seemed to use the song as a guinea pig for some reason (I know he's done this before too). He uses strings in one part, a french horn in another, etc,,,. I would have rather had him use one instrument primarily and have the song a bit more structured instead of using one here and then a different one for the same part later.

Again, I really like this song and feel that its not the customary album fodder. Many artists would be proud to have a song this good. Waterfalls again, is definately the best song on this rather horrible effort. One of These Days is a decent song and after that,,,,,I think the rest of the album tanks. But,,,I have to agree with Maria. Its not a bore, but not a masterpiece either.

I'm sure Paul knows better than I, but if I had to critique this song, I was as honest as I know how to be.

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2004, 05:38:18 AM »

I much prefer Return To Pepperland.

That could have been a hit for him I think had he released it.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2004, 11:03:22 AM »

[quote by=Maria link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1084065745,s=4 date=1084081235]

Meaning?[/quote]meaning that
your sharp tongue seems to good to be true.sometimes all i got to do is agree with you.your opinions are close to mine and yours get worded well too....

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2004, 08:22:41 PM »

[quote by=pc31 link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1084065745,s=9 date=1085051002]meaning that
your sharp tongue seems to good to be true.sometimes all i got to do is agree with you.your opinions are close to mine and yours get worded well too....
[/quote]

I'm not sure if I should feel pleased, or wary, pc!

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2004, 11:35:00 PM »

Waterfalls is okay. But for me, I grew up with it at 18 when McCARTNEY II was out, so it's a nostalgic thing for me.

Rowdy

• Getting Better
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2004, 05:13:16 AM »

I really love this song........I think it could've fit in well with the London Town album, actually.......really, it's the only great track on McCartney II........in fact, it's the only GOOD track on McCartney II.

"Only people know just how to talk to people. Only people know just how to change the world."

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2004, 10:14:19 AM »

I think McCARTNEY II should be accepted for what it is -- an experimental album with many different types of machine sounds and so forth. I think the problem is in everyone expecting it to sound like everything else he's ever done. It's not like Paul always made this type of sound; it was a departure and something unusual for a change from this man. At the time, even John liked COMING UP and said "I like the freaky version". Shows Paul with some balls for a change :)

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2005, 07:27:23 AM »

It's a really beautiful song.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2005, 04:25:04 PM »

This reminds me of the funniest thing, in drama class last week my friend started singing Waterfalls by TLC (which is a complete rip-off of this song) in a deep baritone. Man it was funny.

Randomocity... over. *blink*
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Wayne L.

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2005, 08:19:13 PM »

Waterfalls is just a BLAND pop ballad from Paul which he thought was a masterpiece in his mind.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2005, 08:50:54 PM »

One of the best songs of Paul. I love McCartney II (tkitna knows it), but I prefer One Of These Days (the best of the album). If you like Paul you like One Of These Days.
I like On The Way, Nobody Knows and Summer's Day Song too.

In Blue Hawaii

• Getting Better
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2005, 12:42:15 AM »

Count me in for the McCartney II love. Full of really quirky songs with great melodies and weird sounds. The instrumentals are okay but a little too long. One thing's for sure though: Paul is having fun. "One Of These Days" is also my favorite.

Other highlights: Temporary Secretary (I LOVE this song!!), Coming Up, Waterfalls, On The Way, Nobody Knows, Summer Day's Song, Goodnight Tonight.

McCartney 2 is like a weirder version of RAM at times. Really fun and bizzare. Great album cover too!

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2005, 12:59:09 AM »

Quote from: MagicAlex
Count me in for the McCartney II love. Full of really quirky songs with great melodies and weird sounds. The instrumentals are okay but a little too long. One thing's for sure though: Paul is having fun. "One Of These Days" is also my favorite.

Other highlights: Temporary Secretary (I LOVE this song!!), Coming Up, Waterfalls, On The Way, Nobody Knows, Summer Day's Song, Goodnight Tonight.

McCartney 2 is like a weirder version of RAM at times. Really fun and bizzare. Great album cover too!

Glad you like it.
Couldn't agree more. (Your list is almost the whole album  ;D )
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.535 seconds with 78 queries.