Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Two left handed, two right handed  (Read 2662 times)

real01

• Getting Better
Two left handed, two right handed
« on: October 28, 2015, 08:28:27 PM »

So, all in all, we have two left-handed and two right handed boys in the band.

I knew Paul is lh, but only recently I have found this clip, where Ringo is asked about his drumming.
'I was born left-handed, and my grandma thought that was a bad sign, so she turned me right-handed. I write with my right, but when playing drums, I lead with my left.'

! No longer available

I don't know if this is common knowledge. I'm posting because it is an interesting little detail.
(And because I'm, left handed - that is I, write with my left - but all other stuff I do with my right hand.)  roll:)
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

stevie

• Getting Better
Re: Two left handed, two right handed
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 09:29:35 PM »

I'm a leftie in everything but writing as when I was 7 or 8, I was forced to write with the right hand as back in 1969 or whenever it was, writing lefty was considered not good! Even in Australia lol.

So it's funny now when people see me throw or kick a ball for the first time as they don't realise I'm a true lefty.

real01

• Getting Better
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 09:03:14 PM »

I was hoping to hear from some lefties here!  roll:)

I'm a leftie in everything but writing as when I was 7 or 8, I was forced to write with the right hand as back in 1969 or whenever it was, writing lefty was considered not good! Even in Australia lol.
I don't like when someone is forced into anything - and I'm sorry what has happened to you.
I mean - why do people think everyone should be 'uniformed', the same?

When I think about it... Ringo got into the band because of his unique style of drumming - he is left-handed - and that gave him the unique sound when he plays.
So much about his Granny's fears for 'being left-handed is a bad sign'.

I must say that I was allowed to be left-handed. That is, I was undecided - I was bouncing the pen or pencil from my left, to my left, back and forth and the teachers left ME to decide, they
didn't force anything - and that was happening in mid 80s in one communist country in Europe.  8)

KelMar

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 09:39:58 PM »

This business of forcing left-handed kids to be right-handed used to be fairly common. When my sister started Kindergarten in 1953 the teacher was quite insistent about it, to that point that my sister didn't want to go to school. Dad took care of it though and she was moved to a kinder teacher. My daughter is a lefty. When I had her in preschool she often wrote her name backwards. It's not uncommon for little kids to reverse a few letters but this was a mirror image! We really practiced right before her Kindergarten visitation day in the spring and I thought she had it down pat. When she got home I asked her if she got to write her name. She proudly held up her paper and there it was...totally backwards! LOL

real01

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 09:28:51 PM »

^
Thank you for sharing this story with us!
I especially like the part how you were convinced that you sister won't write as in mirror - and she did it her way.  icon_good

When you look at this video, you'll see that Paul holds his bass the opposite way from George & John:

! No longer available

But that isn't the 'wrong' way - for Paul, it is the right way because he's left-handed and playing the bass like that suits him.
From a leftie point of you, we could say that the other two Beatle guys hold their guitars 'the wrong way'!  8)

Majority of people are right-handed, so when they forcing someone (at school) to not be his true self (leftie), that's opression and that's similar as if you would forbid someone to wear glasses because
most people don't wear or don't need them.
Oh yes - the glassess - I guess I didn't like them at first. I didn't want to wear them at school because there was hardly anyone of the kids who had glasses. roll:)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 09:36:05 PM by real01 »

KelMar

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 04:17:15 AM »

^
Thank you for sharing this story with us!
I especially like the part how you were convinced that you sister won't write as in mirror - and she did it her way.  icon_good

That was actually my daughter real, but you're right; she did do it her way! She's always done things her way. LOL

real01

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 01:37:44 PM »

That was actually my daughter real, but you're right; she did do it her way! She's always done things her way. LOL
She was very confident.  icon_good

real01

• Getting Better
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 01:38:06 PM »

I've came across an Wikipedia article titled 'Bias against left-handed people'. I've taken out the most interesting parts.

Origin and meaning of the word 'left':

Historically, the left side, and subsequently left-handedness, was considered negative.
The word "left" itself derives from the Anglo-Saxon word lyft, "weak".[4] In Ancient Greek both words meaning "left" were euphemisms.

The Latin adjective sinister/sinistra/sinistrum originally meant "left" but took on meanings of "evil" or "unlucky" by the Classical Latin era, and this double meaning survives in European derivatives of Latin, and in the English word "sinister". Alternatively, sinister comes from the Latin word sinus meaning "pocket": a traditional Roman toga had only one pocket, located on the left side. The right hand has historically been associated with skill: the Latin word for right-handed is dexter, as in "dexterity", meaning manual skill.

Meanings gradually developed from use of these terms in the ancient languages. In many modern European languages, including English, the word for the direction "right" also means "correct" or "proper", and also stands for authority and justice.

In Sanskrit, the word "वाम" (waama) stands for both "left" and "wicked."

In most Slavic languages the root prav (right) is used in words carrying meanings of correctness or justice. In colloquial Russian the word левый (levyĭ) "left" means unofficial, counterfeit, strange. In Polish, the word prawo means "right" as well as "law", prawy means: lawful; the word lewy means "left" (opposite of right), and colloquially "illegal" (opposite of legal).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bias_against_left-handed_people

There also some (rare) favorable connotations:
In tantra Buddhism, the left hand represents wisdom.

In the context of BDSM and Leather culture, the left side is traditionally associated with dominance. Flagging on the left indicated one was the performer of an action rather than the recipient, and in The Story of O (an early piece of BDSM erotica) masters wore a symbolic ring on the left hand to show who they were.

And as we read on this topic...
Due to cultural and social pressures, many left-handed children are encouraged or forced to write and perform other activities with their right hands.

Let's conclude with positive & nice stuff:
And lefties have their own day - it is observed on August 13th:  icon_good
International Left-Handers Day is held annually every August 13.[59] It was founded by the Left-Handers Club in 1992, with the club itself having been founded in 1990.[59] International Left-Handers Day is, according to the club, "an annual event when left-handers everywhere can celebrate their sinistrality [meaning left-handedness] and increase public awareness of the advantages and disadvantages of being left-handed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handedness

KEROUAC

• A Beginning
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 06:02:27 PM »

I remember reading somewhere that because Ringo was left handed but had his kit set up in a conventional way it made his drum rolls quite unique. I think I've got that right but correct me if I'm wrong.

Page created in 0.485 seconds with 51 queries.