Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Got My Mind Set On You  (Read 21951 times)

beatlemaniac

• A Beginning
Got My Mind Set On You
« on: January 01, 2009, 12:16:43 AM »

I love George...and I am not George bashing...but if you have seen the video for "Got My Mind Set On You" you know that this is the funniest video ever in the worst and saddest possible way. First of all, is this really the BEST they could come up with? You know this wasn't George's idea...."Let's sit in a room and have literally every inch of the room bob up and down, SORT of in tune with the music. Oh yeah...and a squirrel playing the saxophone. A squirrel doesn't belong in a study? Really? Oh well. Let's do it anyway."

The whole video, George looks totally PO'd. To which my mom says "No, that's just how George looks" but I think he looks even more annoyed than usual. Then...there comes the bridge. When suddenly, for no reason, "George" cleverly disguised as a stunt double who looks nothing like him hops out of his chair and begins to do strange acrobatic dancing around the study. As the bridge ends, "George" hops back into the chair - cut to the worst piece of editing ever done - even for the 80's. :)

You be the judge yourself. :)

-_niy2ZM5Jo

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
Re: Got My Mind Set On You
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 12:54:31 AM »

Quote from: 1801
I love George...and I am not George bashing...but if you have seen the video for "Got My Mind Set On You" you know that this is the funniest video ever in the worst and saddest possible way. First of all, is this really the BEST they could come up with? You know this wasn't George's idea...."Let's sit in a room and have literally every inch of the room bob up and down, SORT of in tune with the music. Oh yeah...and a squirrel playing the saxophone. A squirrel doesn't belong in a study? Really? Oh well. Let's do it anyway."

The whole video, George looks totally PO'd. To which my mom says "No, that's just how George looks" but I think he looks even more annoyed than usual. Then...there comes the bridge. When suddenly, for no reason, "George" cleverly disguised as a stunt double who looks nothing like him hops out of his chair and begins to do strange acrobatic dancing around the study. As the bridge ends, "George" hops back into the chair - cut to the worst piece of editing ever done - even for the 80's. :)

You be the judge yourself. :)

-_niy2ZM5Jo  

Brilliant vid and brilliant song Georges best imo

always reminds me of the winegums adverts in the uk

B-xG3D8OMQk

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 02:25:25 AM »

Quote from: 758
I agree.  I always liked this video.  The room coming to life is brilliant surrealism....and kind of trippy.  I think George liked the video.  I don't think he looks p*ssed off at all, just typically "Quiet George" which is nicely offset by the sudden acrobatic dancing.

Sometimes during the winter, critters get into the house.  I had a raccoon get into the den once through the chimney.  Field mice and chipmunks get in too, on occasion.  I had to chase the raccoon out of the house.  The mice and chipmunks find their own way out (and in) but I know if they've paid a visit.  I'm quite grateful for this video.  If I ever hear saxophone music coming from the den, I'll know a squirrel got in.
I can stay till it's time to go

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 02:44:36 AM »

I like the video, but I think the song is awful. George didnt even write it and was still a hit for him so what do I know.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 03:53:37 AM »

It was a #1 hit for him!

Anyway, here's another version.  Perhaps you'll like this one better, beatlemaniac.

MOCBRkXlg-c

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 11:05:56 AM »

I like the song and video, George looks handsome in a Miami Vice kind of way , a very 80's look .
Paul steals quite a bit from this video for his Dance Tonight video ?

Octie

• A Thousand Pages
  • It's sunshine life for me...
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 12:28:34 PM »

I find the video funny, but in a happy way :)
And I really like the song too :)
I'd ask my friends to come and see... an Octopus's Garden with me ^___^

mr vandebilt

• A Beginning
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 04:24:33 PM »

Like many things from the 80's it looks comical now but im betting at the time it was preety cool, the other video, ' when we where fab' also looks pretty dated but George was making a comeback and wanted to appeal to as many people as possible.

As bad as that video is Pauls 'Pretty little Head', a disaster of a video    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0oMG1XEQns

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 07:14:24 PM »

there are 3 versions to this song one of georges finest...

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009, 07:53:52 PM »

Quote from: 758

always reminds me of the winegums adverts in the uk

B-xG3D8OMQk

OMG, fendertele, it's almost identical to the winegum advert - good eye/ear! I wonder if the same producer did both ... anyone know if this is the case (I did a quick google search and didn't find anything)?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Got_My_Mind_Set_on_You   Interesting to note that the song was written in 1962, I think George has said that was the happiest musical period of his life, nice that he went back to that. Also interesting to note that the dancer in the break is a young Bob Geldof, easy to see when you look for it*. Finally, apparently the last #1 in the US for any Beatle ... go George!

Hey Fendertele ... it seems that George is playing the 3 chords of the song in about a million different ways on the fretboard. Are all those fingerings legit, or is it "miming" to an excessive degree? If it is real (which I suspect), is it that impressive that he knows all those ways to play the same chords, or is that pretty much expected to be in every experienced guitarist's skill set? I remember there was a song in the 80s, "Shieks of Sultan" I think, had a line like "Guitar George, he knows all the chords", I always wondered if this was an homage to our George ...

*Just kidding about that being Bob Geldof, but it looks like him a bit! The Wikipedia link gives the name I think, some guy named Tony Blair ...

I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 02:26:39 AM »

Quote from: 284
there are 3 versions to this song one of georges finest...

Yes.  Here's the band version:

_cBYVnEcF6w

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 02:34:09 AM »

flrqGz7U_g8
and a live one........

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 03:01:57 AM »

Footage from the set of I Got My Mind Set On You
R7tPgrR3Hik

beatlemaniac

• A Beginning
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 03:03:04 AM »

Maybe it is just really 80's....I standby my opinion though that songs like "Wah-Wah", "What is Life", "All Things Must Pass", and "Give Me Love" compared to "Got My Mind Set On You" make this song less-than-incredible. And I didn't mean "sad" as in boo-hoo, just sad as in "such a shame"....

Speaking of the Beatles doing things in the 80's that are "so 80's"....

nBx-SxIA-00

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2009, 03:16:28 AM »

the edit of george and his double was done on purpose.....if you'd really think they didn't see it then i don't know what to tell you...

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2009, 03:20:51 AM »

and a live one........
Great concert version!  Thank you, pc31!

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2009, 03:21:26 AM »

beatlemaniac

• A Beginning
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2009, 03:21:50 AM »

the edit of george and his double was done on purpose.....if you'd really think they didn't see it then i don't know what to tell you...

Just making conversation....really I'm not trying to sound unintelligent or anything....just discussing.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2009, 03:28:52 AM »

the one taken in the library is called the haunted house version...the one with the boy and girl is the original...but someone talked george into doing the house one....he did the band one because he thought the other 2 were over the top a bit....

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2009, 03:30:28 AM »

Quote from: 1801

Just making conversation....really I'm not trying to sound unintelligent or anything....just discussing.
i gotcha no harm no foul...i as well was not trying to make you seem unintelligent..just stating it was meant to be obvious....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 0.538 seconds with 87 queries.