Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 33

Author Topic: Books  (Read 87568 times)

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
Re: Books
« Reply #140 on: October 10, 2013, 07:16:31 AM »

Finally finished Dan Brown's Inferno. It was like  a cone shaped in the "reading goodness" (if you know what I mean). As in, it was rather boring and slow paced in the begining; then around chapter 60 it was picking up pace and was getting unputdownable and then after 10-20 chapters it was going downhill and the ending is quite disappointing. 

I always found Dan Brown's books entertaining though. A full of great facts, too.

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #141 on: October 11, 2013, 01:00:51 AM »

I'm reading R. L. Stine's Red Rain. Very good, and definitely NOT something you'd want your younger kids to read. I hope he writes more books for adults.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #142 on: November 14, 2013, 04:34:52 PM »

Woo-hoo! My hot-off-the-press copy of White Fire, by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, just arrived. Thesre are two of my favorite authors, ever since I grabbed a paperback copy of Relic, spur of the moment, in DC's Union Station, and the only ones I buy in hardcover.  cheer1  I always have their books pre-ordered well before they're even finished.  I'll take a short break from Tune In.

Now I have to try to work while this is sitting on the counter, urrgggh! We'll see how long my willpower holds out. (I estimate 10 minutes.)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #143 on: November 14, 2013, 11:26:25 PM »

Now I have to try to work while this is sitting on the counter, urrgggh!

Don't leave it on the counter.

;D
I can stay till it's time to go

KelMar

« Reply #144 on: November 15, 2013, 04:31:33 AM »

Don't leave it on the counter.

;D

Ha ha! I thought the same thing. That scares me a little.  ;)

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #145 on: November 15, 2013, 02:09:06 PM »

That actually did occur to me, so I buried in in a stack of books sitting on the floor by the bed....but I was still hyperaware of its presence. Sort of reminded me of "The Tell-Tale Heart" -- without the sound.  ;)

KelMar

« Reply #146 on: November 15, 2013, 06:00:06 PM »

That actually did occur to me, so I buried in in a stack of books sitting on the floor by the bed....but I was still hyperaware of its presence. Sort of reminded me of "The Tell-Tale Heart" -- without the sound.  ;)

Oh Kathy...yours is a tortured existence right now, isn't it? I hope you will be able to get to that book very, very soon!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #147 on: November 15, 2013, 06:49:56 PM »

Well then leave it out on the counter and make believe it's The Purloined Letter.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #148 on: November 15, 2013, 06:51:26 PM »

Oh Kathy...yours is a tortured existence right now, isn't it?

Like The Pit And The Pendulum?

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #149 on: November 15, 2013, 11:42:20 PM »

Like The Pit And The Pendulum?

ha2ha  I finally broke down and started it last night and showed remarkable restraint and read 'til only 9:30 pm. I just finished working and and have the whole night free to read; yay!

I once spent an entire extended-family vacation with my nose stuck in a new Preston & Child book (The Cabinet of Curiosities). Fortunately, the other adults were watching the young-uns frolicking in the pool.

What can I say -- I'm a nerd.   ;)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #150 on: November 16, 2013, 12:21:56 AM »

What can I say -- I'm a nerd.   ;)

Nah!  You're just a bookworm.    :)

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #151 on: November 16, 2013, 03:40:41 PM »

Just found my next pre-order! I haven't heard of this author, though.

OK, I've definitely taken too long a break from ocean liner reading. I have several of William Miller's books, and they are fantastic.

I need to remember to drink at least two cups of coffee before posting in the morning.  ;)

« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 03:56:53 PM by Normandie »

KelMar

« Reply #152 on: November 16, 2013, 04:53:40 PM »

^^^
That definitely sounds like the book for you! Since you love ocean liners I'll tell you about the wool blanket I bought at an auction. It still had the tag on it. There was a sketch of the United States and a little blurb telling about this new ship and that this blanket was the same one that the passengers would be using. After I looked the ship up on the Internet I wondered how long a 50 year old wool blanket would last!

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #153 on: November 16, 2013, 10:17:50 PM »

I'm reading The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. So far it is very not your usual storyline...! Psychedelic might be the right adjective to use? It's like The Magical Mystery Tour - you watch it, you enjoy it but keeping thinking "what on earth....?" throughout. The book has more meaning though

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #154 on: November 18, 2013, 04:13:16 AM »

Just found my next pre-order! I haven't heard of this author, though.

OK, I've definitely taken too long a break from ocean liner reading. I have several of William Miller's books, and they are fantastic.

I need to remember to drink at least two cups of coffee before posting in the morning.  ;)

^^^
That definitely sounds like the book for you! Since you love ocean liners I'll tell you about the wool blanket I bought at an auction. It still had the tag on it. There was a sketch of the United States and a little blurb telling about this new ship and that this blanket was the same one that the passengers would be using. After I looked the ship up on the Internet I wondered how long a 50 year old wool blanket would last!

Without that book, there would never have been...

The Love Boat Opening 1982

Bawth...ze plane, ze plane!

Wait!  No, that was another show.

KelMar

« Reply #155 on: November 18, 2013, 08:53:15 PM »

Without that book, there would never have been...
The Love Boat Opening 1982

Ah...so that's who we have to, um, thank for that one.

Bawth...ze plane, ze plane!

Wait!  No, that was another show.

Right, at 10:00. I usually watched those in someone else's living room while babysitting.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #156 on: November 19, 2013, 12:31:53 AM »

The Love Boat and Fantasy Island were the second generation Love American Style.  I remember watching those two shows a couple of times.  It was hard to keep track of what was going on in the three or four storylines they had going on at the same time.  Love American Style presented separate and distinct stories in the one hour show.

And who could ever forget that great musical introduction by The Cowsills its first season...

LOVE AMERICAN STYLE -THE COWSILLS.wmv

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #157 on: November 19, 2013, 12:46:14 AM »

^^^

That's neat, Kelley! I would love to have something tangible from a ship. I do have a piece of Titanic coal, which my ex used to tease me probably came from a mine in Ohio.   :)

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #158 on: November 19, 2013, 12:51:57 AM »

I have to admit (only because this is a [semi-]anonymous forum), I used to LOVE "The Love Boat" and "Fantasy Island," mostly because as a young teen I had no life and so was always camped in front of the TV on Saturday nights. By the time I started babysitting, I was always glued to MTV and trying to hunt down R-rated cable movies.

I had no idea there was a book about the origins of "The Love Boat." One more to put on my list. I'll just ignore the fact that I had an overdraft-protection advance last week.  ;D

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #159 on: November 19, 2013, 01:21:17 AM »

Kathy, even if you had a life while these shows aired, you probably would have camped out in front of your TV watching them.

I was doing my residency when they aired.  My girlfriend, an RN, watched those two shows religiously every Saturday night.  It was like the beginning of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer when this took place...

Nancy...
No answer.
Nancy!...
No answer.
NANCY!
No answer.

But I was the same way when a James Bond movie was on.      ;D
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 33

Page created in 0.858 seconds with 75 queries.