Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Pete Best reveals John Lennon had footy dreams bef  (Read 1395 times)

I am the Paulrus

• Getting Better
    • FAB 4 FORUM
Pete Best reveals John Lennon had footy dreams bef
« on: April 22, 2009, 07:00:46 AM »

Pete Best reveals John Lennon had footy dreams before Beatle stardom

by Shaun Holden

Monday, April 20, 2009

http://www.clickliverpool.com/news/national-news/123954-pete-best-reveals-john-lennon-had-footy-dreams-before-beatle-stardom.html

Beatles legend John Lennon was a talented footballer with dreams of playing for Liverpool before the band shot to stardom.

The band's original drummer and Evertonian Pete Best has told how John always used to always have a ball at his feet, before they went to Hamburg.

Stickman Best was only with the group for two years, before being sacked and replaced by Ringo Starr in 1962, but fondly remembers having a kick-a-bout with John.

Being a lifelong Toffee-nose Pete dreamed of stepping out at Goodison and has been celebrating Everton's heroic FA Cup victory over Man Utd at Wembeley.

But Pete confessed that John Lennon had the best ball skills in the band.

He said: "John had the best skills in the band, he could play a little bit to be fair.

"We were in Hamburg for the majority of my time in the group, playing day and night, so there wasn't much time for us to watch football really.

"But we were always kicking a ball around when time allowed, like any youngsters.

"We weren't the best of footballers, but like every youngster we dreamed of playing for the big clubs.

"But we were never going to be good enough or put the training in, that's probably why we became musicians."

As The Beatles' star began to rise at The Cavern, Brian Epstein advised them to not pledge allegiance to either Liverpool or Everton for fear of dividing fans' loyalties.

Sir Paul McCartney had gone on the record to say that he supported both Liverpool and Everton, before recently admitting to preferring the blues.

He said: "My family are officially Evertonians, so if it came down to a derby match between the two, then I'd have to support Everton."

Best himself admitts to being a die-hard blue, not that it was his choice.

He said: "I was told at a very young age that Everton were my team and that they played in blue. There was no choice."

"But, I loved every minute of it and still do today. The minute you walk into Goodison Park there's just this buzz.

"David Moyes is an unsung hero for me. Everton were in a right state before he came and dug us out.

"He's made most of the money he's had and you can't do more than that."

Ged

• A Beginning
Re: Pete Best reveals John Lennon had footy dreams bef
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 03:23:12 PM »

Cheers for that Paulrus.

Mr Best has just gone up in my estimation being a fan of the fantastic blues who are in the F.A. Cup final come 30th May having beaten more money laden teams along the way. A leg up for all underdogs everywhere.

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 09:54:47 PM »

That reminds me of: ... he was born in Liverpool, he went to school in Liverpool, he got married in Liverpool, and of course he supports Everton"  ;D

Jon Anderson said that if he wasn't a singer he would have liked to be a football player (playing for Accrington Stanley, I believe)

But yes, from what I have noticed, most British kids (and grownups!) want to play for the club they support

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

cubanheel

• Getting Better
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 09:04:19 PM »

I personally can't see John as a footballer, or infact any of them. ;D

The only 'sport' I've ever seen them involved in is swimming, they always seem to be swimming, and I've read things that say how much John in particular liked it.  Is this the only reference to football in the Beatles world? Perhaps Bill Harry can help?
...once there was a way to get back homeward ...

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 45 queries.