Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Growing up in the sixties  (Read 3942 times)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Growing up in the sixties
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2014, 03:03:24 AM »

I was born in December of 1969...

In December 1969 I was sitting in my MGB with my girlfriend Nancy listening to WOR-FM 98.7 New York City...

...and this song, which was just released, came on...

Badfinger - Come and get it (1969)

We smiled at each other and said "A new Beatles song!"

I can stay till it's time to go
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2014, 05:23:30 AM »

Yes, we soon learned it was Badfinger...

Badfinger 'Come And Get It' HD)

...and we saw The Magic Christian a couple of months later...

The Magic Christian Opening

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2014, 05:26:43 AM »

i'm older bäh cheer1

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2014, 03:22:17 PM »

I was born in December of 1969 so I don't have much.

Seriously though, interesting reading guys.  Keep em coming.

Ditto. I was born in January 1968, but I love reading all these.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2014, 04:46:36 PM »

June 1956 for me. I was a kid when it started and the end of kid hood in 1970. I'm glad of it too. I didn't get into the bad stuff but enjoyed the music. You could actually go out after dark and your parents didn't worry about the wacko's out there. They worried abut what you were doing! ha2ha
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2014, 08:55:51 PM »

I remember my brother getting a transistor radio - blown away by the concept of portable music. For years I thought that because they were so small trannies could only play music and not words.
I was thinking about this not so long ago and I realised why I probably thought his; my brother was listening to back to back music on a new fangled commercial station, while my parents big old valve radio had only be tuned to state radio, where the only music I remember was the mouth organ solo in The Goon Show intermission.
don't follow leaders

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2014, 09:44:09 PM »

Having a paper route

I could identify with most of the items on your list, George, but this one really struck me. When and why did newspapers stop being
delivered on foot by kids and just tossed at the end of your driveway by adults in trucks/cars? I had a paper route from ages 12
through 16 (when I got a job as a cashier) and really cleaned up, money-wise. People appreciated have their papers delivered on
time in the morning (and the evening; I had both) and would tip you accordingly. It was a great lesson in responsibility; after all, it's
not like you can just skip a day, or call in sick. I wish my own kids could have had paper routes. It would have been good for them.

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2014, 10:28:44 PM »

I could identify with most of the items on your list, George, but this one really struck me. When and why did newspapers stop being
delivered on foot by kids and just tossed at the end of your driveway by adults in trucks/cars? I had a paper route from ages 12
through 16 (when I got a job as a cashier) and really cleaned up, money-wise. People appreciated have their papers delivered on
time in the morning (and the evening; I had both) and would tip you accordingly. It was a great lesson in responsibility; after all, it's
not like you can just skip a day, or call in sick. I wish my own kids could have had paper routes. It would have been good for them.

The money from my paper route was how I was able to start buying my own records Kathy. It gave me a real feeling of independence until I got my first job at at 16.  But oops-that was the 70s!   :-X
What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2014, 11:31:08 PM »

The money from my paper route was how I was able to start buying my own records Kathy. It gave me a real feeling of independence until I got my first job at at 16.  But oops-that was the 70s!   :-X

Oh, yes, me too! I have a specific memory of gathering my paper route money and heading down to the record store at the mall to buy my first LP. I could spend hours flipping through the stacks. But that was the early 80s, so I now I've moved two decades off topic. Will stop and "listen" to the rest of you.  :)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 11:32:40 PM by Normandie »

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2014, 02:38:41 AM »

In 1968 I had a Sunday route and saved up for over a year and bought a Masterwork component stereo. Our music class had one and it sounded good so I was bound and determined to get one. I just finally threw out the receiver a few years ago!

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.607993139801032667&pid=15.1&P=0
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 02:40:40 AM by Dcazz »
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2014, 03:06:31 AM »

I had a newspaper route too.  The New York Post, 40 homes at 2 cents per paper, 6 days a week plus tips which averaged a quarter a week.  I was really raking it in!  And I was a dead-shot with a newspaper at 30 yards while on my bicycle.

No MTV or VH1, but we had the best after-school dance shows.  The nicest dancers were the Hollywood A Go-Go dancers...

I Fought the Law Bobby Fuller Four HD

The Lovin' Spoonful - Do You Believe In Magic - Hollywood A Go Go

:)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2014, 03:16:57 AM »

fox

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2014, 01:25:26 PM »

I remember my dad, with our new black and white telivision set ( was that the sixties?) Trying to hang the "Ariel" from all kinds of weird and wonderful places" to get the reception just right ! ;D
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.452 seconds with 69 queries.