Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: George - His Excellent Solo Career ?  (Read 22343 times)

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
Re: George - His Excellent Solo Career ?
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2009, 07:58:14 PM »

I'm just beside myself that somebody can actually enjoy 'Gone Troppo'.

I can understand DaveRam. And I too enjoy Gone Troppo. I don`t think it`s an absolute masterpiece as DaveRam considers it to be, but for me it is very good.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2009, 08:17:11 PM »

Dave and Jane,,,question for you both. Do you like McCartney 2 also? I'm just curious.

Whoeveriam

• A Beginning
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2009, 12:43:10 AM »

Somewhere in England is actually very good if you listen carefully, it's so stylistically unique. You can hear that it's George Harrison coming from a mile away.

Dave, I'd try looking for the four other (I think officially released) songs that were supposed to be on it before the record company sent it back...

Flying Hour: George Harrison Photographic Tribute

Gone Troppo is like Somewhere In England with summer fruits on it.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 01:00:08 AM by Whoeveriam »

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2009, 07:28:43 AM »

Dave and Jane,,,question for you both. Do you like McCartney 2 also? I'm just curious.

No i think McCartney 2 is a load of rubbish , only Coming Up and Waterfalls are good .
Gone Troppo is much much better than McCartney 2 .

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2009, 07:41:33 AM »

Somewhere in England is actually very good if you listen carefully, it's so stylistically unique. You can hear that it's George Harrison coming from a mile away.

Dave, I'd try looking for the four other (I think officially released) songs that were supposed to be on it before the record company sent it back...

Flying Hour: George Harrison Photographic Tribute

Gone Troppo is like Somewhere In England with summer fruits on it.

Yes i tracked down these four missing tracks , they should have been included as bonus tracks on the reissue of Somewhere In England , why Tears Of The World was included on Thirty Three & 1/3 is a mystery to me it's not even from that albums era .
It should maybe have been issued as a double cd Somewhere In England the original release and George's version ?
But i agree the released album is very good .

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2009, 07:42:40 AM »

I was just curious as I group them both together as being awful. I thought maybe it was the synth stuff that caught your ear, but if you hate Macca 2 then that must not be it totally.

Oh well, different tastes for different people I suppose (But #2 Dave,,,).

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2009, 07:47:17 AM »

One Other thing i like about George's work is his lyrics , they are quit thoughtful ?

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2009, 08:05:26 AM »

I was just curious as I group them both together as being awful. I thought maybe it was the synth stuff that caught your ear, but if you hate Macca 2 then that must not be it totally.

Oh well, different tastes for different people I suppose (But #2 Dave,,,).

McCartney 2 always sounds like a collection of demos to me , the synth sound on Troppo is more polished and more in keeping with the era i think .
In someways i can see Gone Troppo was maybe a bit of a throwaway album by George kind of an experiment , but i actually think he pulls off a quirky cool and very current album it's overall sound and playfulness is a breath of fresh air to my ears .
Where Paul was trying to be to cool with McCartney 2 , George just comes along with a synth based album which is very cool and i don't think he was even trying it's just so natural and  lots of fun  8)

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2009, 06:13:18 PM »

No, I don`t like it. Sorry.
Gone Troppo is very relaxing music, soothing and charming. I can listen to it again and again. It`s one of the best albums of this kind of music.   :)

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2009, 11:09:04 AM »

I've been listening to George's ATMP album lately. It's absolutely marvelous....I feel very sorry some of the songs in there did not become Beatle songs.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2009, 06:47:45 AM »

I've been listening to George's ATMP album lately. It's absolutely marvelous....I feel very sorry some of the songs in there did not become Beatle songs.

Agreed. ATMP and Brainwashed are my favorite records from George.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2009, 07:41:50 AM »

Can't believe how much i'm getting into George's albums , poor Paul is'nt getting a look in these days not listening to him at all at the moment  :o

Melack

• A Beginning
  • I'm a Loser
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2009, 05:38:03 PM »

"All Things Must Pass" is one of my favorite albums ever.

When it comes to Beatles solo albums it's up there with "Plastic Ono Band" and "Ram" for sure.

Melack

• A Beginning
  • I'm a Loser
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2009, 06:16:56 PM »

If you are gonna judge them from their highs, then "All Things Must Pass" is up there with "Ram" and "Plastic Ono Band" for sure.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2009, 07:05:17 PM »

'All Things Must Pass' surpasses RAM and Plastic Ono Band.

It is the greatest solo album.

Jai Guru Deva.

• Getting Better
  • Nothing's gonna change my world.
    • Purple Prose Solo Music
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2010, 09:23:17 PM »

I have to say I'm really getting into George's solo stuff.  Being the daft Lennon lover that I am, I instantly turned to John when I wanted to hear Beatle solo music, but I had no idea I'd love George's music so much.  I think the fact that I'm quite a spiritual person connects me to his lyrics, as well as the sensations his music creates.
I only knew about 10 random George solo songs that I'd heard from random places, and everything that's on the Concert For George DVD.  I got Living In The Material World for Christmas 09, and I've only just managed to prise it from the speakers and listen to something else!  I can understand why some people can find George's solo music to be on quite a repetitive level, and possibly boring if it's not your thing, so I'm of course not condemning the opposite viewpoint!  But I personally enjoy Living In The Material World tremendously.  The track "Be Here Now" particularly stands out for me somehow.
I think I might just have to get my hands on a copy of All Things Must Pass.  Well done Georgie.   :)

xxx

Limitless, undying love, which shines around me like a million suns, it calls me on and on, across the universe.
Proud author of "It's Only Love: A John Lennon Romance"!

breedofrandy

• A Thousand Pages
  • Ringo Love <3
    • Me Tumblr Blog
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2010, 09:41:27 PM »

^I really enjoy a lot of George's music, I like All Things Must Pass quite a bit. I think he has a very calming way about his music. It really relaxes me to listen to his voice.  :) It's a lot different than listening to some of John's work. Not that I don't love John's work, I think I just like all of the Beatles solo efforts! I'm just different like that.  ha2ha

"Ringo will always be my friend"--George Harrison (Rolling Stone Magazine 1987)

Jai Guru Deva.

• Getting Better
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2010, 10:18:44 PM »

Each Beatle is very different in his solo music...  It gave each of them a chance to do absolutely anything they wanted, and the results were quite different, probably more different than Beatles fans were expecting. 
I think that's where it divides people into genre/style preferences, rather than which Beatle you like the most.  It doesn't take a genius to work out that I absolutely adore John, but if I'm honest, I think I prefer George's solo work, at least for now.  Perhaps I'll hear some John stuff that'll change my mind, but at the moment, George has my vote.   :)

xxx

Limitless, undying love, which shines around me like a million suns, it calls me on and on, across the universe.

MrsHarrison

• A Beginning
  • Have I said something amiss?
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2010, 02:15:36 AM »

I thought "All Things Must Pass" was fantastic. I got it for Christmas and I'm dying to get more of his albums. I never really got into the other Beatles' solo stuff, but George's I really like.

I look from the wings of the play you are staging. As I'm sitting here, doing nothing but aging. While my guitar gently weeps.

Jai Guru Deva.

• Getting Better
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2010, 05:03:46 PM »

I bought All Things Must Pass over the weekend, and I think it's great!  Another fine effort from Georgie.  There are some really heartfelt and emotion-evoking songs on there.  So far, although I'm by no means knowledgable about it yet, my faves are I'd Have You Anytime, My Sweet Lord, If Not For You, I Live For You, Beware Of Darkness and All Things Must Pass.  I knew a few of them already from the Concert For George, but everything's fantastic.  I like the jams too!  Especially Plug Me In.  Nice one Georgie.  :)
Oh, and I did have to laugh when I'd just bought the album and as we were leaving in the car, an Asda wagon rolled by us with "GEORGE" emblazoned massively on its side.  ;D

xxx

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 0.516 seconds with 86 queries.