Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: World Cup 2010  (Read 40851 times)

Bobber

Re: World Cup 2010
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2010, 12:51:44 PM »

Personally I rank Ivory Coast higher than Portugal.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2010, 12:58:57 PM »

Personally I rank Ivory Coast higher than Portugal.

Well, thing is: every four years people say that this time the African countries will surprise us, but every time they fail to do so (the only real exception being Cameroon in 1990). There are a lot of great individual players in Africa (some of the world's best actually), but somehow the teams always seem disorganized. So I'll have to see it before I believe it...

Bobber

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2010, 08:08:02 PM »

Disappointing so far. Only Germany made a great impression.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2010, 08:58:06 PM »

Just 9 goals in the first 7 matches... I was getting so bored with the tournament that I was even a bit glad when the Germans scored four times...

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2010, 06:57:08 AM »

Just 4 1/2 hours at work today, then I'm going home to watch The Netherlands vs. Denmark.  ;yes

Ahme

« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2010, 10:04:56 PM »

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2010, 04:49:36 AM »

Watching the England game in 'luxury.' Secret field at the IW festival. Better than being penned in with 8000 people! Gates got closed!
Made sure we had nothing the sniffer dogs could smell. The picnic table was a result. In front of the police vehicle was the only field of vision we had. A painful game to watch. I'm sure we can still 'mathematically' go through will be the saying after the next game no doubt. lol

http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
    • The studio
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2010, 10:26:20 AM »

Just 4 1/2 hours at work today, then I'm going home to watch The Netherlands vs. Denmark.  ;yes
2-0. Not bad......Dirk Kuyt seems fired up....How did the team play? I was a bit dissappointed in Italy...I fell asleep!

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2010, 10:35:28 AM »

2-0. Not bad......Dirk Kuyt seems fired up....How did the team play? I was a bit dissappointed in Italy...I fell asleep!

They didn't play well. Kuyt certainly wasn't good, anyone would've made that goal. The Danish defense was very solid in the first half and the Dutch wingers didn't do their jobs very well. They (Van der Vaart and Kuyt) both kept going to the centre while they should've broadened the field. Things got a lot better after the (very lucky) 1-0 and after Elia (who is a typical old-fashioned winger) replaced Van der Vaart.

But this was exactly the result I hoped for: three points but not a very good, convincing match. The Dutch team tends to get a bit overconfident when things go well, so I was glad that it wasn't exactly smooth sailing this time.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
    • The studio
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2010, 10:41:28 AM »

I can understand your logic Joost. Confidence can be  a team's own worst enemy. I saw highlights of the soft goal involving Agger. I just got excited by the 2 LFC names. heheh
I saw Kuyt in interview afterwards. He is always a grafter ( hard worker) but I remember many times at Liverpool being frustrated with him for the lack of finishing touch.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2010, 11:14:24 AM »

I saw Kuyt in interview afterwards. He is always a grafter ( hard worker) but I remember many times at Liverpool being frustrated with him for the lack of finishing touch.

Sounds like an accurate description to me. People sympathize with him because he's the type of player who'd run from one goalline to the other for 90 minutes without pausing if you'd ask him to, but that can't conceal that he really isn't that good a player.

Bobber

« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2010, 11:40:38 AM »

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2010, 07:46:05 PM »

It's quite remarkable that most of the favorites didn't do very well in their first match. Spain, Italy, Portugal, England and France all lost points, there were narrow victories for Argentina and Brazil (against #106 on the FIFA ranking) and The Netherlands won a bit more comfortably but didn't play well. Seems like Germany was the only favorite that managed to impress in their first match.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2010, 09:33:42 AM »

The second round of matches is a whole lot better than the first one so far. :)

It's weird how France always plays either a very good or a very bad tournament and never something in between. In the last 15 European and World Championships they were in the Top 4 seven times, and seven times they failed miserably (by either not qualifying at all or not making it through the first round).

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
    • The studio
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2010, 09:42:46 AM »

My prophecy of Argentina is looking good. I wish I placed a bet on them earlier on when I had the hunch. Would have been good odds. They looked impressive yesterday although the opposition was not that strong. I'd be quite happy if France go out. Mexico must be building good confidence after that result. :)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2010, 09:51:18 AM »

Of course the biggest surprise of the tournament so far was North Korea's 1-0 victory over Brazil...  ;D

North Korea 1 Brazil 0 (North Korean Broadcast) FIFA WORLD CUP 2010

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2010, 10:50:58 AM »

Every tournament everyone says the Germans/Argentineans’/Italians/Brazilians aren’t the team they used to be.
Every tournament everyone says this is the year of the Spanish/Portuguese/Africans.
Every tournament is won by the Germans/Argentineans/Italians/Brazilians

don't follow leaders

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2010, 10:56:28 AM »

Every tournament everyone says this is the year of the Spanish/Portuguese/Africans.
Spain won Euro 2008.

Every tournament is won by the Germans/Argentineans/Italians/Brazilians
Germany and Argentina haven't won the World Cup in 20 and 24 years, respectively.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2010, 12:27:36 PM »

^ True true. But you have to admit those four have dominated the World Cup for 50 years (only England and France with their home team advantages) ruining their monopoly.
Sad to see South africa might be going out. Always a shame to loose the hometeam
don't follow leaders

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2010, 11:28:19 PM »

All future england matches have been moved to the gay adult channel. Apparently the sight of 11 arseholes getting hammered frequently for 90 minutes was far too explicit for ITV.

The England team visited an orphanage in Cape Town today. "It's heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no hope" said Jamal aged 6.

;D ;)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Page created in 0.539 seconds with 73 queries.