Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Most Beatle-esque songs by other artists  (Read 27822 times)

7 of 13

• Getting Better
Re: Most Beatle-esque songs by other artists
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2012, 01:41:49 AM »

7 of 13, I am curious as to how Right Place, Wrong Time and On The Cover Of The Rolling Stone sound Beatle-esque to you.
i really don't have a good answer for you, or can i say anything that would make the barest amount of sense to you. i guess it's an eye of the beholder thing basically. and it depends on how one defines what is beat music, what makes a beatles song tick, things like that, etc.  i guess the melting R&B motif more than anything else. the beatles changed the face of music forever, and i guess realistically one could spend a completely inordinate amount of time and energy actually trying to define what is and is not a song, what is and what is not a melody, etc. i don't like limits anyway, i'm sure you understand.

John Lennon- Nutopian International Anthem

;yes
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 06:47:55 PM by 7 of 13 »
day tripper yeah

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2012, 02:15:23 AM »

Yes, I understand.
I can stay till it's time to go

Fab4Fan

• Getting Better
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2012, 03:35:45 AM »

I think "Lies" by the Knickerbockers is hands-down the best Beatles sound-alike track I've ever heard.  IMO, those guys captured not only the sound of the Beatles but the essence of the group as well (around the 1965 timeframe).

Of course, the Rutles did a fantastic job as well - in fact, I think they did the Beatles even better than the Beatles!!! - Don't you think? (wink, wink)

Another track that always sounds Beatle-esque to me is "Wonderful World" (Sam Cooke's song, not Satchmo's) by Hermin's Hermits - not as much Peter Noone's vocals but the music sounds like it came straight off one of the Fabs early Lps.

As for a Lennon-esque tune, I thought "Pop Muzik" by M was John when it was first released in the late '70s. The mystery performer known only as "M", the irreverent wordplay, the cryptic references to his former bandmates' songs "try some, buy some" and "Get Back", the female backing vocalist whose voice sounds like it could be Yoko, etc., had me convinced it was John's anonymous tongue-in-cheek attempt at a comeback. NOTE: I never saw the video for this song until Youtube. If you listen without seeing the video even you might think it could be John!

I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2012, 04:30:57 AM »

Of course, the Rutles did a fantastic job as well - in fact, I think they did the Beatles even better than the Beatles!!! - Don't you think? (wink, wink)

I think The Fab Four doing The Rutles doing The Beatles do The Rutles doing The Beatles even better than The Rutles do The Beatles...

The Fab Four - "Get Back / Get Up And Go" @ Chris Carter's House

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2012, 05:07:02 AM »

I think "Lies" by the Knickerbockers is hands-down the best Beatles sound-alike track I've ever heard.  IMO, those guys captured not only the sound of the Beatles but the essence of the group as well (around the 1965 timeframe).

Yeah.  The Knickerbockers were the original Rutles...

Lies - The Knickerbockers

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2012, 05:12:49 AM »

7 of 13

• Getting Better
day tripper yeah

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2012, 10:18:26 PM »

Yes, I understand.

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2012, 11:14:46 PM »

Yes, I understand.
well. maybe you do maybe you don't or we aren't on the same page or something. doesn't really bother me. i admit to overdefining what i consider to be beatlesque music, definition stretch if you will. but i'm pretty sure there are no hard and fast definitions for what constitutes a beatlesque song or composition or piece of music, beyond the clever self-contained lyrics, the fast rhythms, the fast beats, the trademark beatley chords and the tight harmonies..

but on to the good stuff..

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Green River + Lyrics
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 12:19:25 AM by 7 of 13 »
day tripper yeah

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2012, 11:41:49 PM »

well. maybe you do maybe you don't or we aren't on the same page or something. doesn't really bother me. i admit to overdefining what i consider to be beatlesque music, definition stretch if you will. but i'm pretty sure there are no hard and fast definitions for what constitutes a beatlesque song or composition or piece of music, beyond the clever self-contained lyrics, the fast rhythms, the fast beats, the trademark beatley chords and the tight harmonies..

Let's not forget the prime cultural exponents of Aeolian cadenzic cosmic stanza form.

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2012, 12:12:40 AM »

Let's not forget the prime cultural exponents of Aeolian cadenzic cosmic stanza form.
uh huh. aeolian cadence... pan-diatonic clusters... i had to do a double-take... the william mann essay thing...oh you mean not a second time, the  G-Em lockstep transition thing, similar to Mahlers Songs of the Earth, which ends the song. serious business i would imagine.. ha2ha

who could forget Aretha Franklin and Chain of Fools...

Aretha Franklin - Chain Of Fools (Lyrics)

how about maybe something a bit spicier...

Put The Lime In The Coconut - Harry Nilsson

;yes
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 12:25:22 AM by 7 of 13 »
day tripper yeah

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2012, 12:48:02 AM »

uh huh. aeolian cadence... pan-diatonic clusters... i had to do a double-take... the william mann essay thing...oh you mean not a second time, the  G-Em lockstep transition thing, similar to Mahlers Songs of the Earth, which ends the song. serious business i would imagine..

Quite rightly!  Pandiatonicism.  This elevated The Beatles' music from what originally was essentially a combination of alpha exponents of melodic material and beta potential harmonic material.

KelMar

« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2012, 05:36:38 AM »

Quite rightly!  Pandiatonicism.  This elevated The Beatles' music from what originally was essentially a combination of alpha exponents of melodic material and beta potential harmonic material.

That's easy for you to say!  ;)

KelMar

« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2013, 04:41:40 AM »

My son played this song for me the other day and asked me if I thought it sounded like the Beatles. I think the lead singer kind of sounds like John but mostly I hear Pink Floyd..."Money". LOL

http://youtu.be/H570ifQfpDk

Sir John Johns

• A Beginning
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2013, 09:22:12 PM »

Crowded House - Four Seasons In One Day (from Woodface)
XTC - I'd Like That (from Apple Venus Vol.1)
XTC - The Disappointed (From Nonsuch)
World Party - What Is Love All About (from Bang!)
Big Star when the were still known as Ice Water - All I See Is You (from the box set Keep An Eye On the Sky) , this track is identical to Dig A Pony
10CC - Oh Donna (or is this a cover of Oh Darling)

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2013, 01:13:22 AM »

I remember when I was a teenager and didn't know a lot about the Beatles, I thought that "California Dreamin'" by the Mamas & the Papas was a Beatles' song. Funny enough, last time I listened to "California Dreamin'" my wife asked me if they were the Beatles...
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2013, 02:02:52 AM »

This song reminds me a bit to "Taxman":

Gene Clark - Elevator Operator
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2013, 07:27:08 AM »

Crowded House - Four Seasons In One Day (from Woodface)
XTC - I'd Like That (from Apple Venus Vol.1)
XTC - The Disappointed (From Nonsuch)
World Party - What Is Love All About (from Bang!)
Big Star when the were still known as Ice Water - All I See Is You (from the box set Keep An Eye On the Sky) , this track is identical to Dig A Pony
10CC - Oh Donna (or is this a cover of Oh Darling)

I've always used Woodface by Crowded house as the best example of a Beatle like album. For that album the usual crew were joined by Neil Finn's older brother Tim, who provided a Paul-like melody to Neil's more John-like sound. It's my favourite Crowded House album for the depth the two different styles the brothers bring. As well as some Beatlesque harmonies. They even have a song by their (zany of course) drummer.

Sir John Johns

• A Beginning
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2013, 09:35:07 PM »

Together Alone just edges Woodface for me, but it does have the same esthetic - Private Universe being the most Beatley track.

I've always used Woodface by Crowded house as the best example of a Beatle like album. For that album the usual crew were joined by Neil Finn's older brother Tim, who provided a Paul-like melody to Neil's more John-like sound. It's my favourite Crowded House album for the depth the two different styles the brothers bring. As well as some Beatlesque harmonies. They even have a song by their (zany of course) drummer.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2013, 11:42:52 PM »

Together Alone just edges Woodface for me, but it does have the same esthetic - Private Universe being the most Beatley track.

I haven't really listened to Together Alone as throughly. I should do so. Agree about Private Universe though.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Page created in 3.173 seconds with 87 queries.