Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Favorite Yoko Albums  (Read 1033 times)

Morninggloryseed

• One And One Is Two
Favorite Yoko Albums
« on: May 04, 2008, 11:22:24 PM »

In advance, please save any hateful comments about Yoko for the numerous 'Yoko Haters' threads that already exist.  Any negative comments about Yoko Ono (beyond a critique of her recordings) is off-topic and unwelcome.

A favorite album of mine is Approximately Infinite Universe.  The songs "I Want My Man To Rest Tonight" and the title cut are great numbers.  Fly is also a favorite just because it is so weird.  "Don't Count The Waves" and "Mind Train" are stand-out cuts.  Although the title track is a bit long winded.

But her best (and my favorite) is (Yoko Ono) Plastic Ono Band.  The album is timeless in the sense that it doesn't sound like its from 1970, nor does it sound like anything from today.  The only other recordings that I can compare to it are Velvet Underground recordings...both (VU and POB) are the true proto-punk albums.

I know I won't make too many friends here by saying this but...Yoko is brilliant.  
Visit my blog for Beatle downloads..<br /><br />http://morninggloryseed-blog.blogspot.com/

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
Re: Favorite Yoko Albums
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 06:28:05 PM »

I haven't heard any Yoko albums, but I do like "Walking On Thin Ice" from 1980. I hope it's been remixed since then, though: the original version was rather thin.  :)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 10:16:01 PM »

I had  " Season Of Glass " on vinyl and although tinged with sadness i did play it quite a bit in the 80's , i keep meaning to get it on cd  , as it and  " Double Fantasy " are the only Yoko records i know and like .
Agree Geoff " Walking On Thin Ice " is great .

Hi Morninggloryseed although i'm not a massive fan of Yoko 's singing i do respect her as an artist , and i don't hate her . I save that for Heather Mills these days (wink1)

Whoever

• Getting Better
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 01:12:45 AM »

I got a thing for Hell in Paradise off of Starpeace.

Morninggloryseed

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 01:21:10 AM »

From http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/v-post/b-lennon/m-1185250000/post-1/#num27
Maybe I should check her out... any suggestions??

Tough question.  I'll admit my tastes are towards the less accessible material of hers.  For instance, I never cared for Starpeace or Season of Glass.  I do love Approx. Infin. Universe and Feeling The Space...but my favorites are her Plastic Ono Band cuts, Cambridge 1969, Don't Worry Kyoko, etc.

I'd direct anyone to start with FLY because it is a mixture of avant guard material, soundscapes, as well as 'regular' songs...and some fine ones (like Mrs. Lennon.)  Plus, it's classic POB lineup with Ringo on drums, and Klaus on Bass.
Visit my blog for Beatle downloads..<br /><br />http://morninggloryseed-blog.blogspot.com/

Bobber

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 09:32:15 AM »

Quote from: 1319
In advance, please save any hateful comments about Yoko for the numerous 'Yoko Haters' threads that already exist.  Any negative comments about Yoko Ono (beyond a critique of her recordings) is off-topic and unwelcome.

I see your point. But please bear in mind that this is a discussion board.

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 47 queries.