Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Song Of The Week - The Long & Winding Road  (Read 6838 times)

nimrod

Song Of The Week - The Long & Winding Road
« on: January 05, 2014, 11:34:59 PM »

The long and winding road that leads to your door
Will never disappear
I've seen that road before it always leads me here
Leads me to your door

The wild and windy night that the rain washed away
Has left a pool of tears crying for the day
Why leave me standing here, let me know the way
Many times I've been alone and many times I've cried
Anyway you'll never know the many ways I've tried
And still they lead me back to the long and winding road
You left me standing here a long, long time ago
Don't leave me waiting here, lead me to you door

But still they lead me back to the long and winding road
You left me standing here a long, long time ago
Don't keep me waiting here (Don't keep me wait), lead me to you door
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

"The Long and Winding Road" is a ballad written by Paul McCartney (credited to Lennon–McCartney). It is the tenth track on the Beatles' album Let It Be. It became the group's 20th and last number-one song in the United States on 13 June 1970, and was the last single released by the quartet while all four remained alive. "The Long and Winding Road" was listed with "For You Blue" as a double-sided hit when the single hit number one on the US Billboard Hot 100 in 1970.
While the released version of the song was very successful, the post-production modifications to the song by producer Phil Spector angered McCartney to the point that when he made his case in court for breaking up the Beatles as a legal entity, McCartney cited the treatment of "The Long and Winding Road" as one of six reasons for doing so.
New versions of the song with simpler instrumentation were subsequently released by both the Beatles and McCartney.

Personnel

Paul McCartney – lead vocals, piano
John Lennon – bass
George Harrison – lead guitar
Ringo Starr – drums
Billy Preston – Hammond organ
Uncredited – Phil Spector's orchestral and choral arrangements

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
Re: Song Of The Week - The Long & Winding Road
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 11:43:10 PM »

A real sentimental fave for me. I used to walk about five miles down a country road to see a girlfriend nearly every day around the time that was released. Hearing it always leads me back there.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 02:04:54 AM »

A real sentimental fave for me. I used to walk about five miles down a country road to see a girlfriend nearly every day around the time that was released. Hearing it always leads me back there.

:)

It's never been a particular favourite of mine but I also never skip it. It's quite evocative and pleasant. It's also an interesting example of the way Beatle music marries to the theme and lyrics. The chord progression wanders in and out of the key of the song giving the feeling of a journey.

I'm torn between the Spectorised version of this and the simpler versions. I grew up with the Let it Be version. The choral stuff I found a bit much. But I'm not sure the stripped down version is necessary the best way for it either. I think a string accompaniment scored by George Martin might have been a good middle ground.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 04:03:48 AM »

It wasn't my favorite song on the Let It Be album.  It was a good tune, but I didn't like what Phil Spector did to it.  I heard the "raw" version broadcast on WBAI-FM New York Listener-Sponsored Radio in the summer of 1970, a couple of months after the release of the LP, and liked that version better.  It would be a while before it was available on CD...

'The Long And Winding Road (Take 18)' - The Beatles
I can stay till it's time to go

nimrod

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 04:27:39 AM »

It's never been a particular favourite of mine but I also never skip it. It's quite evocative and pleasant. It's also an interesting example of the way Beatle music marries to the theme and lyrics. The chord progression wanders in and out of the key of the song giving the feeling of a journey.

I'm torn between the Spectorised version of this and the simpler versions. I grew up with the Let it Be version. The choral stuff I found a bit much. But I'm not sure the stripped down version is necessary the best way for it either. I think a string accompaniment scored by George Martin might have been a good middle ground.

I really like the Spector version, it makes it something for me, the version without orchestrations seems empty, I dont understand what Paul was annoyed at, I love what he did with I Me Mine as well, the brass on there is great, still, we all like different things I suppose.
I remember hearing Paul do it on one of his albums (Broad Street ?) and I really didnt like it, but then I never understood Paul doing (or re-doing) Beatle stuff on his records, for me what is - is and shouldnt be re-done.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 04:42:58 AM »

The reason I like the early take better is because it's a simple song in singular reference.  It doesn't need to be adorned the way it was on the album.  I feel what Phil Spector did took away  from the private air the song should have.

And Klang, my walk was only four miles.  ;)

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 05:09:06 AM »

I really like the Spector version, it makes it something for me, the version without orchestrations seems empty, I dont understand what Paul was annoyed at, I love what he did with I Me Mine as well, the brass on there is great, still, we all like different things I suppose.
I remember hearing Paul do it on one of his albums (Broad Street ?) and I really didnt like it, but then I never understood Paul doing (or re-doing) Beatle stuff on his records, for me what is - is and shouldnt be re-done.

Definitely I Me Mine worked well on Let It Be. 

Yep. Paul redid a lot of Beatle songs on Broadstreet. None for the better in my opinion.

I'll have to give Long and Winding a relisten. It's been a while since I've really listened to both versions.

I might be wrong but didnt Paul often use synthesised strings on this when performing it with Wings? Sort of validating Spectors approach?

KelMar

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 07:27:36 AM »

This song is one that's full of personal meaning for me. The Naked version with its lyric change, "anyway, you've always known the many ways I've tried" makes it even more so. And I also like the way it sounds better. I never listen to the Spector version anymore.

nimrod

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 08:03:26 AM »

Definitely I Me Mine worked well on Let It Be. 

Yep. Paul redid a lot of Beatle songs on Broadstreet. None for the better in my opinion.

I'll have to give Long and Winding a relisten. It's been a while since I've really listened to both versions.

I might be wrong but didnt Paul often use synthesised strings on this when performing it with Wings? Sort of validating Spectors approach?

Yes apparently so, and Spector noticed that..

Spector himself argued that McCartney was being hypocritical in his criticism: "Paul had no problem picking up the Academy Award for the Let It Be movie soundtrack, nor did he have any problem in using my arrangement of the string and horn and choir parts when he performed it during 25 years of touring on his own. "

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 09:07:34 AM »

Yes apparently so, and Spector noticed that..

Spector himself argued that McCartney was being hypocritical in his criticism: "Paul had no problem picking up the Academy Award for the Let It Be movie soundtrack, nor did he have any problem in using my arrangement of the string and horn and choir parts when he performed it during 25 years of touring on his own. "

I had a relisten to the Let it Be version. I still think the orchestra is too full on too quickly. A bit more subtlety would have fit the song well I think.  The raw version still doesn't do it for me either though.  Maybe Paul could convince George Martin to score one more string section for a - The Long and Winding Road - Not Naked but with a Tasteful New Frock

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 05:13:48 PM »

This has never been one of my favorites, although it is a beautiful song. I prefer the simpler (i.e., non-Spector) version. It's been awhile since I've given either one a listen; I'll have to revisit them.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 06:08:33 PM »

I've never understood the negativity that surrounds Spector's production of the 'Let It Be' LP and, in particular, this song.
Ironically, it's probably the least Phil Spector sounding record he made in his life, and Long & Winding Road is lean if you compare it to The Stones' 'choir song' 'You Can't Always Get What You Want'.

I've got far more issues with 'All Things Must Pass' which I simply can't listen to.
If George had recorded 'All Things Must Pass', 'Not Guilty', 'Isn't It A Pity' etc. without Spector and more in the style of the Anthology 3 demos, and made it 32 minutes long.....wow! now you're talking!     

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 10:03:33 PM »

I love it, but strangely enough it didn't make sense to me until I heard the Naked version. I say strange, because I love Phil Spector's work to death (Ronettes, Crystals, Ike & Tina, Righteous Brothers, Ramones etc.) and I consider him a highly influential musical figure. But I guess his production on the released version of Long and Winding Road just doesn't work. It makes it seem too overwrought, too grandiose, when it reality it always seemed to me as more of an "intimate" type of ballad.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

nimrod

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 10:44:16 PM »

I quite like the song, but its one of those 'Paul' songs that doesn't fit The Beatles, like Yesterday, Martha, Honey Pie, 64, the other Beatles would struggle to add anything

Its all subjective though, I grew up with the Spector version and always liked it, I think the choir and everything make it something big, when I heard the Broad Street version it just seemed too empty for me, same with the Naked one

Its all down to personal preference , its a great song though.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 11:14:25 PM »

Its all subjective though, I grew up with the Spector version and always liked it, I think the choir and everything make it something big, when I heard the Broad Street version it just seemed too empty for me, same with the Naked one

Its all down to personal preference , its a great song though.

It's also hard to judge "naked" or demo versions of songs when you're familiar with the original. With the Beatles and others there's now a proliferation of demos and alternative takes available. It's easy to hear a demo of a song and go "wow. Better than the original" (the Nick Hornby book Juliet -Naked touches on this a bit). But would you have reacted so positively to the song if the demo/naked was the first version you heard. Hard to judge. And totally subjective as you say.

Good song regardless though. And an interesting one to discuss.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 11:28:38 PM »

It's also hard to judge "naked" or demo versions of songs when you're familiar with the original.

This might make it a bit easier, Moog...

The Beatles - The Long And Winding Road-HQ

nimrod

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 11:38:14 PM »

actually I quite like that Barry ;)

The band did add to it, Johns bass was good, not intrusive but fits well, as do George's arpeggio's

oh what the hell, Im a fan.......I like both :D

I seem to remember on Broad St though Paul changed the emphasis on some lines that I didn't like, maybe there's a you tube !

Brynjar

• Getting Better
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 12:05:24 AM »

Clearly a controversial song.  :) It´s pretty neutral for me. It reminds me of an old friend I used to have - a friend that actually got me into The Beatles. His mother had all the LP´s in a boxset which she got when she was younger I suppose but she had given that to him. We were about 15 years old when we listened to the albums.. but for some reason this particular song reminds me of him.
They were the most brilliant, powerful, lovable, popular group on the planet. - Q, 1995.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 12:06:33 AM »

Thanks for that HG. It's a nice take. Billy Preston's organ fits nicely. (Stop smirking. You know what I mean)

And you can tell Yoko was moved  ;D

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 12:23:48 AM »

I hate this song. A depressing, saccharine drenched mess. The naked version is only slightly less awful. A definite skip when this puppy hits the speakers.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.83 seconds with 85 queries.