Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: NEW...  (Read 36850 times)

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
Re: NEW...
« Reply #120 on: November 11, 2015, 01:18:16 PM »

It's time to say Goodbye Paul... ;sorry So many Live Show ruins your Voice

Bobber

« Reply #121 on: November 11, 2015, 04:41:16 PM »

It's time to say Goodbye Paul... ;sorry So many Live Show ruins your Voice

I think he will continue doing what he's doing for as long as he can. Which is wonderful in itself. Lots of people enjoy seeing Paul live on stage. But maybe, yes, is it time to lean back just a little bit. Take more time for his things. Why should he tour so much? Why not just pick a couple of nice gigs?

His songwriting on New is certainly not his best in my humble opinion. The fact that a lot of production and effects was needed, shows me that the songs in itself are not so strong. The songs that lack these effects are the best songs on the album.

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #122 on: November 11, 2015, 04:56:42 PM »

Exactly, and if he is no longer in studio so then he is LIVE not really better .

I buy myself a new studio albums only because the gathering not because of his voice.

my Most Money is only for the Archive Series important now

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #123 on: November 11, 2015, 05:49:14 PM »

I am looking forward to his next album, if it is at all like New I would be happy.  Is it my favorite?  Nope.  I enjoy it though because I wasn't bench marking it against whatever I consider his best work, that isn't really how you listen to music is it?  I hope not.   I listen and enjoy it for how it makes me feel.  The melodies, lyrics and production all are fine for me, better than most everything I hear being published in rock/pop.

As for touring, I have been hoping the next list of cities gets published soon and hope Atlanta is on it so i can see him for the 8th or 9th time (need to count).  Love seeing him and enjoy the show.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #124 on: November 13, 2015, 01:53:45 PM »

I enjoy it though because I wasn't bench marking it against whatever I consider his best work, that isn't really how you listen to music is it?  I hope not.   

Not at all.  I dont compare any of his albums to his earlier stuff.  Thats kind of silly isnt it?  I dont think anybody expects him to do a 'Band On The Run' everytime he releases an album.  I listen to the album and decide if I like it or not.  If I do,,,,great.  If I dont,,,,oh well.  I didnt like NEW.  Its one of his most forgettable albums in my opinion with no really strong songs to speak of.  I'm only speaking for myself though.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #125 on: November 14, 2015, 12:36:14 PM »

And I appreciate and support everybody having their opinion.  Same with the collection of people that suggest he stop touring to save his voice.  For what?  Most, I think, agree with your view on his recent song writing, so if so, what do those that want him to stop touring hope to save his voice for?

Maybe I'm in the minority, I find enough on most of his releases to be pleased and love to see him every time he comes through town.  He's what, 73?  I'm more fearful that I've seen him for the last time.  I hope he has another album in him at some point, plus a few more tours.  Can't imagine him being gone, strange days indeed, most peculiar mama.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #126 on: November 15, 2015, 01:01:40 AM »

I hope he has a few albums left too.  His live shows still draw people and he always seems to deliver, so I have no problems with that either.  I'm done seeing him, but that's purely a financial and 'already been there and done that' type of thing.

Fab4Fan

• Getting Better
« Reply #127 on: November 15, 2015, 03:38:29 AM »

As for touring, I have been hoping the next list of cities gets published soon and hope Atlanta is on it so i can see him for the 8th or 9th time (need to count).  Love seeing him and enjoy the show.

Hey, I didn't know you live in the Atlanta area. I live in southeast Georgia and my daughter attends college in Atlanta. Maybe if Paul does visit ATL again we can say "hello" to one another at the venue.
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #128 on: November 15, 2015, 12:34:42 PM »

Absolutely.  I would be surprised if he hit Atlanta anytime soon though, I would venture to guess he is trying new venues as he goes out this time.

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #129 on: November 30, 2015, 12:23:48 AM »

Not at all.  I dont compare any of his albums to his earlier stuff.  Thats kind of silly isnt it?  I dont think anybody expects him to do a 'Band On The Run' everytime he releases an album.  I listen to the album and decide if I like it or not.  If I do,,,,great.  If I dont,,,,oh well.  I didnt like NEW.  Its one of his most forgettable albums in my opinion with no really strong songs to speak of.  I'm only speaking for myself though.

I seem to be coming at this one from entirely the opposite direction. For a start I find it impossible not to compare any album by a former fab with the rest of his output. For me, each of those four lads released - however intermittently - a series of chapters in an evolving continuum of work. I can assess an album on its own standalone merits but I can't regard it as completely isolated.

Obviously there are peaks and troughs along the way, but after the miserable "Driving Rain", the warbly, depressingly timid vulnerability of "Chaos And Creation In The Back Yard" (neither album at all strong on the melody front by and large) or even the catchier and more uplifting "Memory Almost Full", "NEW" is like a blaze of sunlight for me. At least half the tracks are instantly melodic...after the first listen, how could anyone not tap their foot to "Alligator" or "I Can Bet"? The feisty catchiness of the album opener "Save Us" and bouncy, anthemic  singalongs like "Everybody Out There" and "Queenie Eye" would make this a strong, highly accessible radio-friendly collection even without the superbly infectious title track itself, with its Beatley "Penny Lane" vibe which is a joy to behold. Sure there are clunkers on there: "Early Days", "Hosanna" and "Road" are hardly earworms for example but hey, they aren't so bad! By contrast I have to go back to the discs every time just to recall most of the tunes from Paul's previous three or four albums, which I'd regard as much more forgettable than this one.

On a purely selfish level, were I to be given the levers of power over Paul's future career I would have him abandon live tours (his voice is a shadow of what it once was) and jettison the orchestral material, the retrospective/standards and the electronic stuff in favour of concentrating on occasional (no longer any need to try and rush one out every year) polished studio releases like this one.

All just my opinion of course! ;)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #130 on: November 30, 2015, 09:01:14 AM »

Obviously there are peaks and troughs along the way, but after the miserable "Driving Rain", the warbly, depressingly timid vulnerability of "Chaos And Creation In The Back Yard" (neither album at all strong on the melody front by and large) or even the catchier and more uplifting "Memory Almost Full", "NEW" is like a blaze of sunlight for me. At least half the tracks are instantly melodic...after the first listen, how could anyone not tap their foot to "Alligator" or "I Can Bet"? The feisty catchiness of the album opener "Save Us" and bouncy, anthemic  singalongs like "Everybody Out There" and "Queenie Eye" would make this a strong, highly accessible radio-friendly collection even without the superbly infectious title track itself, with its Beatley "Penny Lane" vibe which is a joy to behold. Sure there are clunkers on there: "Early Days", "Hosanna" and "Road" are hardly earworms for example but hey, they aren't so bad! By contrast I have to go back to the discs every time just to recall most of the tunes from Paul's previous three or four albums, which I'd regard as much more forgettable than this one.

Great post Mr.M.  I need to reply just to share how opposite we kind of are on this subject.  You enjoy Pauls attempts at accessible, melodic, radio friendly type songs and why wouldn't you?  Its what Paul has done his entire career.  Myself, I'm past that and I believe Paul is too. I'm at the point where I wish Paul would just let his guard down and be himself.  Quit coloring the hair and trying so hard.  An example is 'Queenie Eye' the song.  Paul pimped that tune for so long and hard (playing it on every appearance and making a video with Hollywoods finest A-listers) that it comes across as desperate to me.  It just seems futile.  Of course it didn't stick and nobody remembers it but my point is, although all artists want their work to be displayed, Paul goes that extra mile everytime and its bothersome.  I'm babbling again.

Anyways, I don't want to hear radio friendly, pop music from a 70+ year old man that doesn't do it well anymore.  I know you don't care for 'Chaos and Creation', but I breath a sigh of relief when I listen to it.  An album where Paul finally appears to be vulnerable and writing songs in accordance to his maturity.  I thought it was brilliant and something different from Paul that we haven't heard since probably the 70's.  Not one song is a classic on the album and that's fine as I don't feel he was trying to write one or impress the younger audience.  I liked the path that Paul was taking.  You can only imagine my disappointment when 'Memory Almost Full' came out.  Back to his usual self.

By the way, 'Road' is my favorite song on NEW.  See how different we are?  Peace 

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #131 on: October 30, 2016, 09:23:05 AM »

I've started listening to this album. Overall I'm quite liking it. It's a bit glossy in parts but there's quite a few tracks I'm enjoying. I like the rough vulnerability of Early Days. The limitations of his voice on that track remind me a bit of Johnny Cash's last album. The title track is bouncy pop rock. On My Way to Work is cute.  The hidden track Scared I find quite poignant and honest. The opening track, Save Us, might come over as a bit try hard, what with the synthesised handclaps and all, but it's lively and engaging.

I'm wondering if he's integrating some of The Fireman approach into his own albums. Which might be why some songs sound a bit too produced.

All in all quite a credible effort from Paul.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #132 on: October 31, 2016, 01:48:51 AM »

I've started listening to this album. Overall I'm quite liking it. It's a bit glossy in parts but there's quite a few tracks I'm enjoying. I like the rough vulnerability of Early Days. The limitations of his voice on that track remind me a bit of Johnny Cash's last album. The title track is bouncy pop rock. On My Way to Work is cute.  The hidden track Scared I find quite poignant and honest. The opening track, Save Us, might come over as a bit try hard, what with the synthesised handclaps and all, but it's lively and engaging.

I'm wondering if he's integrating some of The Fireman approach into his own albums. Which might be why some songs sound a bit too produced.

All in all quite a credible effort from Paul.

Alligator and Turned Out among the current favorites.  I enjoy the album as a whole.  Thanks for sharing.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #133 on: December 14, 2016, 07:16:52 PM »

I'm a big fan of "Appreciate."  I liked it the first time I heard it and saw the video.  I hope Newman the Robert returns at some point in the future.  I wish he were real!  I like the guitar solo at the end on "Appreciate" a lot.  I've tried to research it but I can't find out if Paul played that solo or not.

I also like "Queenie Eye."  In the video, there's a brief second in which a Linda-lookalike appears, or is that just my imagination?  I really liked that bit because it shows (if deliberate) that Paul is still remembering Linda (from her younger days).

But yeah, it's sad, Paul is old and growing older ...  I can't help but think people are performing with him simply because he's Paul McCartney.  Otherwise, I don't know if anyone would pay any attention to him.  That's what it's like when you're an old guy.  Nobody cares what you do, how smart you are, or anything ...   And young people all think they're smarter than you are no matter what you've been through.  (Note:  i'm an old guy.)

Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #134 on: March 24, 2020, 04:17:36 PM »

Reading back on this thread, I was pretty brutal with my outlook of this album.  My opinion has changed a lot over those years.  I like NEW a good bit now.  Wonder how and why my tastes change so drastically?  Its an interesting and entertaining album that I break out every once in awhile now.  I feel bad that I slagged it like I did.  Still not big on 'Egypt Station' though.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #135 on: March 24, 2020, 06:53:26 PM »

Reading back on this thread, I was pretty brutal with my outlook of this album.  My opinion has changed a lot over those years.  I like NEW a good bit now.  Wonder how and why my tastes change so drastically?  Its an interesting and entertaining album that I break out every once in awhile now.  I feel bad that I slagged it like I did.  Still not big on 'Egypt Station' though.

I'd guess you, like many of us, have near perfection as where the bar is set, from Beatles days, from certain parts of solo work days.  The general assumption is something new (no pun intended) can't or won't be as good, so you "slagged" it.  (love that description).

Another factor plays into it, if a new album was put out in days before cell phones, before social, before wall to wall information and distractions, you may have listed to it over and over.  Life may have been simpler (not really but you know what I mean). 

Time listening goes a long way on non released songs.  Look at all the songs by any artist that you love that general public never heard before because they were on an album that didn't get radio play.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #136 on: October 16, 2020, 01:55:58 PM »

New, was released 7 years ago this week.

Where does time go ?  ???
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #137 on: October 16, 2020, 09:35:35 PM »

Scary indeed.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #138 on: October 16, 2020, 10:23:22 PM »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzDC4284SA0" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzDC4284SA0</a>
I can stay till it's time to go
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Page created in 0.885 seconds with 84 queries.