Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: stu sutcliffe  (Read 11057 times)

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
Re: stu sutcliffe
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2011, 10:45:36 AM »

There seems to be something about this in Spitz' book. I have it at home. I'll check...

Excellent... Thank you very much, Bobber!! ;)

Xosé

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2011, 07:07:46 PM »

Thank you, Bobber!! ;)

Yes: I know that guitar. But I don't think that was the guitar purchased by Sutcliffe's father in Spain (=supossedly, the story I read is true...)

Have anyone heard about this story??

Xosé

The following site has a passage attributed to Bill Harry which includes the mention of Stu's father bringing him his first acoustic guitar back from a holiday in Spain.

http://www.the-beatles-history.com/stu-sutcliffe.html

I would assume that the guitar that Bobber posted a link to was the same instrument. Why don't you think that it is the same one, Xosé?

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2011, 09:45:12 PM »

Hello peterbell1,

Thank you very much!! ;)

The following site has a passage attributed to Bill Harry which includes the mention of Stu's father bringing him his first acoustic guitar back from a holiday in Spain.

http://www.the-beatles-history.com/stu-sutcliffe.html

I would assume that the guitar that Bobber posted a link to was the same instrument. Why don't you think that it is the same one, Xosé?

Well. That is not the type of guitar available in Spain at those times. In fact, that guitar doesn't look like a Spanish guitar, but -IMHO- a kind of acoustic guitar (=fret markers, headstock...)

Best!! ;)

Xosé

Bobber

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2011, 12:16:59 PM »

There seems to be something about this in Spitz' book. I have it at home. I'll check, but it's not known for its reliability.

There wasn't much, just the note that Stu's father 'taught him some chords on the guitar'. But then there isn't much in that book at all, so what can you expect? ;D

Bobber

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2011, 12:50:39 PM »

Hello peterbell1,

Thank you very much!! ;)

Well. That is not the type of guitar available in Spain at those times. In fact, that guitar doesn't look like a Spanish guitar, but -IMHO- a kind of acoustic guitar (=fret markers, headstock...)

Best!! ;)

Xosé

Is it strange or impossible to buy a guitar like that in Spain anyway?

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2011, 09:09:09 AM »

There wasn't much, just the note that Stu's father 'taught him some chords on the guitar'. But then there isn't much in that book at all, so what can you expect? ;D

Thanks anyway, Bobber!! ;)

Is it strange or impossible to buy a guitar like that in Spain anyway?

Well: at those times (=end fifties??) it would be very strange to find a guitar like that in Spain (=of course, I can't say impossible...)

Besides: if Stu's father was in Spain, and if he was intending to purchase a guitar for his son in Spain..., shouldn't he have purchased a real Spanish guitar??

Xosé

Bobber

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2011, 09:17:06 AM »

Yes, it's a logical thing to buy a Spanish guitar when you're in Spain. ;D
But then we don't even know if Stu's father really went to Spain, do we? I mean, the guitar pictured before could very well be Stuart's first guitar, not bought in Spain but somewhere else.

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2011, 09:27:24 AM »

Maybe the guitar did indeed come from Spain, but perhaps it is just a cheap model which was put together mainly for tourists, which is why it doesn't have the characteristics of "real" Spanish guitars of the time.
It looks like a cheap guitar to me - it's hard to tell from that picture, but the headstock with the line down the middle and the tuning pegs just don't look like what you would expect to see on a more expensive guitar.

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2011, 01:26:03 PM »

...But then we don't even know if Stu's father really went to Spain, do we? I mean, the guitar pictured before could very well be Stuart's first guitar, not bought in Spain but somewhere else.

Well: Bill Harry said that Pauline Sutcliffe told him that their father bought a guitar in Spain for Stu...

Maybe the guitar did indeed come from Spain, but perhaps it is just a cheap model which was put together mainly for tourists, which is why it doesn't have the characteristics of "real" Spanish guitars of the time...

I don't think so. There were cheap guitars available for tourists, but they did display (=in one way or another) "real" Spanish guitar features.

IMHO, that guitar doesn't display Spanish guitar features...

Xosé

Bobber

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2011, 08:48:57 AM »

So.... either that pictured guitar is not the genuine first guitar of Stuart Sutcliffe, or his father didn't buy it in Spain.

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2011, 08:57:38 AM »

So.... either that pictured guitar is not the genuine first guitar of Stuart Sutcliffe, or his father didn't buy it in Spain.

That is exactly what I guess...

Xosé

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2011, 03:05:09 PM »

i never considered pauline a source of reliable info sorry...

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2011, 08:19:22 AM »

Happy Birthday Stuart today :(
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.719 seconds with 58 queries.