Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Song Of The Week - I Me Mine  (Read 8815 times)

nimrod

Song Of The Week - I Me Mine
« on: June 02, 2014, 11:49:54 PM »

All through the day, I me mine
 I me mine, I me mine
 All through the night, I me mine
 I me mine, I me mine
 Now they're frightened of leaving it
 Everyone's weaving it
 Coming on strong all the time
 All through the day I me mine

I-I-me-me-mine, I-I-me-me-mine
 I-I-me-me-mine, I-I-me-me-mine

All I can hear, I me mine
 I me mine, I me mine
 Even those tears, I me mine
 I me mine, I me mine
 No-one's frightened of playing it
 Everyone's saying it
 Flowing more freely than wine
 All through the day I me mine

I-I-me-me mine, I-I-me-me mine
 I-I-me-me mine, I-I-me-me mine

All I can hear, I me mine
 I me mine, I me mine
 Even those tears, I me mine
 I me mine, I me mine
 No-one's frightened of playing it
 Everyone's saying it
 Flowing more freely than wine
 All through your life I me mine

I Me Mine is the ego problem. There are two 'I's: the little 'i' when people say 'I am this'; and the big 'I' - is duality and ego. There is nothing that isn't part of the complete whole. When the little 'i' merges into the big 'I' then you are really smiling!

—George Harrison, The Beatles Anthology[

The Let It Be film features a segment in which Harrison plays the song for Ringo Starr, describing it as "a heavy waltz"; the band is then seen performing the tune while John Lennon dances with Yoko Ono.

The song was released on the Let It Be album; however, the Beatles had not done a proper studio recording of the song during the January 1969 sessions. When director Michael Lindsay-Hogg chose to include the "I Me Mine" segment in the Let It Be film, the Beatles decided to record the song for inclusion on the accompanying album. Paul McCartney, Harrison and Starr met in the studio on 3 January 1970, to record the group version of the song.[12] John Lennon was not available; he was on holiday in Denmark. Lennon had privately quit the group in September 1969 so it is not known if he would have attended anyway.[12]

The group recorded 16 takes of the song, the last of which was chosen for the album. Before take 15, Harrison delivered a mock press statement in a joking reference to Lennon's absence (He was on holiday In Denmark) and the British pop group Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich: "You all will have read that Dave Dee is no longer with us. But Mickey and Tich and I would just like to carry on the good work that's always gone down in number two [EMI Studio 2]." The statement followed by take 16 was included on Anthology 3. Although final rendition only lasted 1:34, Phil Spector extended the length by copying and repeating a section. Spector also overdubbed a string and brass accompaniment. The final version, as "re-produced" by Spector, was featured on the re-titled Get Back album, Let It Be. A similar edit, without Spector's overdubs but retaining the repeated section, is available on Let It Be... Naked.

The verses of this song are in the key of A minor but the chorus is in A major. This technique of parallel minor/major contrast is also present in Beatles' songs including While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Savoy Truffle, The Fool on the Hill, Fixing a Hole, Michelle, Things We Said Today, Do You Want to Know a Secret and Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown).
The song begins in 6/8 time on "All through the day" with a shift from the I minor (Am) chord to a IV (D7) which Dominic Pedler of Total Guitar magazine considers emphasises the Dorian mode.
The progression in 3/4 time beginning with an F melody note on "Now they're frightened of leaving it" against minor iv (Dm) chord (the ♭3rd emphasising in Pedler's view the Aeolian mode) shifts to an V7 (E7) on "comin' on strong", but here (at 0.27 secs) the hauntingly strong ♭9 (F natural) melody note results in the suitably "dark drama" of the very rare (in pop music) E7♭9 chord in the key of A minor.
The song is also notable for concluding on an ♭VI (Fmaj7) chord in A minor key.

Personnel

George Harrison – lead and harmony vocal, acoustic guitar, lead guitar
Paul McCartney – harmony vocal, bass, Hammond organ, electric piano
Ringo Starr – drums
George Martin – producer
Phil Spector – producer
Uncredited – 18 violins, four violas, four cellos, harp, three trumpets, three trombones
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 11:53:46 PM by nimrod »
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
Re: Song Of The Week - I Me Mine
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 02:21:29 AM »

This could almost be credited to The Threetles. Although I suppose John had a habit anyway of excluding himself from George songs.

I've always liked this one. I suppose it could be accused of being turgid but the melody is good, George's growing penchant for interesting chord progressions gives it depth and the middle 8 drives it well to lift the song.

I can't think whether George ever rocked as hard again after this. If not it's a pity. He should have.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 03:46:52 AM »

"Everyone is selfish but in particular Paul is more selfish than me"
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 03:47:33 AM »

I've always liked it, on the whole. The plaintive quality in George's singing is a standout for me. He did that so well. The lyrics strike me as being a bit thin on meaning, but - hey - it's only rock 'n' roll.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 03:55:26 AM »

"Everyone is selfish but in particular Paul is more selfish than me"

A nice summation of the lyrics  ha2ha

nimrod

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 09:14:34 AM »

Its not really a favourite of mine, but I really really like the brass that Spector put on there, not too intrusive, but just enough to give it colour, it sort of has a Brass Band effect towards the end.

I thought the naked version sounded empty without it, its all personal preference though

The Beatles - I Me Mine

The Beatles- I Me Mine ("Let It Be... Naked" version)

« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 09:17:13 AM by nimrod »

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 11:41:02 AM »

The thing I like about this song is that it shows what a versatile guitarist George really is! The Threetles are really tight here and George handling all three guitar parts with overdubs is a good insight to what he can do!
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 12:06:28 PM »

The thing I like about this song is that it shows what a versatile guitarist George really is! The Threetles are really tight here and George handling all three guitar parts with overdubs is a good insight to what he can do!

He does well on the grittier stuff which isn't what you normally associate with him.  I like listening to George's Rhythm/Lead on Dig a Pony. It's quite intricate and adds a lot to the song, working away in the background.

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 01:04:16 PM »

I've always liked it, on the whole. The plaintive quality in George's singing is a standout for me. He did that so well. The lyrics strike me as being a bit thin on meaning, but - hey - it's only rock 'n' roll.

It's pretty blunt but actually quite profound. George is bollocking us all for being wrapped up in ourselves and the here and now. I like the consistency and continuity of his message, which rolls on through "Love You To", "I Want To Tell You", "Within You Without You", "The Inner Light" and so on... what blossoms in "I Me Mine" is his impatience and as others have said, that urgency gives this outing a bit more backbone than some of his earlier preachings. "I Me Mine" is probably the first time he's told us off since "Think For Yourself".

This one has grown on me over the years. It's nowadays one of my favourites from "Let It Be". Must be my ears but I don't pick up brass on the Spector version, just the solemn presence of a churchy organ which adds weight and depth to the track for me, even if it does underline the fact we're getting another one of Harrison's sermons.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 04:48:03 PM »

This was the last song recorded by the Beatles, in January 1970. Actually, the Beatles were already disbanded at that point.

I like "I Me Mine" and I think the orchestration added by Spector works very well.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 06:53:04 PM »

It's pretty blunt but actually quite profound. George is bollocking us all for being wrapped up in ourselves and the here and now. I like the consistency and continuity of his message, which rolls on through "Love You To", "I Want To Tell You", "Within You Without You", "The Inner Light" and so on... what blossoms in "I Me Mine" is his impatience and as others have said, that urgency gives this outing a bit more backbone than some of his earlier preachings. "I Me Mine" is probably the first time he's told us off since "Think For Yourself".

This one has grown on me over the years. It's nowadays one of my favourites from "Let It Be". Must be my ears but I don't pick up brass on the Spector version, just the solemn presence of a churchy organ which adds weight and depth to the track for me, even if it does underline the fact we're getting another one of Harrison's sermons.

Yes, you make a good point. I see it now. He says something profound in an uncomplicated way. No argument.

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 10:05:33 PM »

I'm still not sure who he was telling off in Think For Yourself.  But he certainly told us off, in a transcendental way, in Within You Without You.

It's a good song and I enjoyed hearing George suddenly rock out when I first played the LP in 1970.  By then we knew The Beatles split up.  I knew he was telling someone off again but I wasn't going to let me be the one he was aiming his sermon at.  I was happy with my college studies and working hard toward achieving my career ambition which is sacred in its own way.

I like Mairi's summation of this song.  Succinct and, considering what The Beatles were going throuh at the time, possibly right on target.  She has a way of doing that around here for years now.
I can stay till it's time to go

nimrod

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 11:55:32 PM »

after each line in the 2nd & 3rd verses (after each line like - All I can hear, I me mine I me mine, I me mine) there is an answering phrase by the trombones & trumpets, it sounds to me to have the colour of a Brass Band.
The effect is similar to the brass sound on some Kinks songs

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 12:23:54 AM »

By George  ;)   you're right Nim!

Not surprised since you have a better tuned musical ear than I'll ever have, but I've never noticed that (very) subtle brass reply before now! Thanks... and I agree with you that it tinctures the track with just a little bit of extra seasoning (so gently that I hadn't even realised it!)

This is what I love about the Beatles' music and discussing it with fellow fans... even after decades of listening to them there are always new little touches to discover  :)

nimrod

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2014, 12:56:55 AM »

By George  ;)   you're right Nim!

Not surprised since you have a better tuned musical ear than I'll ever have, but I've never noticed that (very) subtle brass reply before now! Thanks... and I agree with you that it tinctures the track with just a little bit of extra seasoning (so gently that I hadn't even realised it!)

This is what I love about the Beatles' music and discussing it with fellow fans... even after decades of listening to them there are always new little touches to discover  :)

and just before the final chorus (I Me me mine) the same brass guys play a tremolo effect on the last stretched out note...nice touch.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2014, 02:35:46 AM »

Some interviews I've heard say the song was aimed at all the bickering and infighting at Apple.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2014, 04:55:45 PM »

You've got to pity George sometimes, you really have.....the two full songs either side of 'I, Me, Mine' are 'Across The Universe' and 'Let It Be'. Beat that!

The song certainly fulfils the original aim of the LP to give us 'The Beatles as nature intended' (unlike the sanitized 'Let It Be.....Naked' CD) but, even though George is my favourite Beatle, this song is not one of my faves, though it works well enough on the LP.

I prefer 'For You Blue' and, in particular, the 'Elmore James has got nothing on this fella' exchange with John.   

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2014, 10:30:21 PM »

You've got to pity George sometimes, you really have.....the two full songs either side of 'I, Me, Mine' are 'Across The Universe' and 'Let It Be'. Beat that!

Being sandwiched between two of the most overrated Beatles songs does it no harm in my opinion!  ;)

But I do much prefer the running order on "Naked".....

nimrod

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2014, 11:09:14 PM »

The song certainly fulfils the original aim of the LP to give us 'The Beatles as nature intended' (unlike the sanitized 'Let It Be.....Naked' CD) but, even though George is my favourite Beatle, this song is not one of my faves, though it works well enough on the LP.

I prefer 'For You Blue' and, in particular, the 'Elmore James has got nothing on this fella' exchange with John.

For me, I Me Mine is a much better song than For You Blue, which, at the end of the day is a 12 bar blues, like a million Blues songs, but with George's lyrics, its just like a band jamming and using 12 bar as a vehicle, IMM has a very interesting chord structure, some fantastic lyrics, and a wonderful waltz time rhythm, I wish Id written it, Id be very proud of it, whereas its easy to write a 12 bar blues, in fact there isn't any writing ! just make up a few words, like how much you love your woman/man......no 12 bar blues is original really, in a way I don't even think this does belong to George.
I never classed For You Blue as a Beatle song, its just not creative, I go to Blues jams sometimes, I hear this 12 bar sequence over & over, fast, slow with made up on the spot words, I think of IMM as an original, its not a favourite of mine, but its a fine original song, very creative.
Were all different though.

As for Naked being 'sanitized' I kind of agree with you, Im more a fan of the original LIB, although I have wondered from time to time, if Naked had been released first and Id spent 30 years listening to that version, and then the Spector one came out...........would I still feel the same ?

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2014, 11:29:29 PM »

For me, I Me Mine is a much better song than For You Blue, which, at the end of the day is a 12 bar blues, like a million Blues songs, but with George's lyrics, its just like a band jamming and using 12 bar as a vehicle, IMM has a very interesting chord structure, some fantastic lyrics, and a wonderful waltz time rhythm, I wish Id written it, Id be very proud of it, whereas its easy to write a 12 bar blues, in fact there isn't any writing ! just make up a few words, like how much you love your woman/man......no 12 bar blues is original really, in a way I don't even think this does belong to George.
I never classed For You Blue as a Beatle song, its just not creative, I go to Blues jams sometimes, I hear this 12 bar sequence over & over, fast, slow with made up on the spot words, I think of IMM as an original, its not a favourite of mine, but its a fine original song, very creative.
Were all different though.

As for Naked being 'sanitized' I kind of agree with you, Im more a fan of the original LIB, although I have wondered from time to time, if Naked had been released first and Id spent 30 years listening to that version, and then the Spector one came out...........would I still feel the same ?

Yes For You Blue is fun and I like listening to it but definitely a throwaway. I listened to the Naked I Me Mine yesterday. It does sound a little hollow without the horns. But then we might have been praising the harsh minimalism of the backing. Since it's still a good song without them. But overall I prefer the original version.

As OBS said poor old George did tend to get overshadowed even when he pulled out good tunes. But I suppose that's what made the Beatles great. Their No 3 songwriter would start writing too class things and Lennon/McCartney would keep topping them. Until  Abbey Road of course.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 1.337 seconds with 86 queries.