Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: I like George's singing but....  (Read 68927 times)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: I like George's singing but....
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2011, 07:54:53 AM »

george had a good singing voice and a fantastic range, not sure what you mean otherwise.

Why is it so hard for you?

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2011, 09:14:24 AM »

george had a good singing voice and a fantastic range, not sure what you mean otherwise.

I'm Happy Just To Dance With You (Rare BBC)

mmmmmm,i agree(in a way)with the good voice part-as i have already said i think george had a nice voice,not great,nice.but i'm not too sure on the 'fantastic range' part of your quote.georges' range was a limited one.when you talk about range within a singing voice this does not mean your normal voice and a falsetto.now paul had a good range in his pomp,freddie mercury had a good range.not sure about george harrison.
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

nimrod

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2011, 11:45:30 AM »

mmmmmm,i agree(in a way)with the good voice part-as i have already said i think george had a nice voice,not great,nice.but i'm not too sure on the 'fantastic range' part of your quote.georges' range was a limited one.when you talk about range within a singing voice this does not mean your normal voice and a falsetto.now paul had a good range in his pomp,freddie mercury had a good range.not sure about george harrison.
isnt the range the number of octaves you can cover ?, I think George had about 1.5

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2011, 01:02:10 PM »

I think there are two ways to be a good singer. Either you're very talented and you can do whatever you want with your voice, or you're less talented and you learn to recognize your limitations and make the best of what you've got. Apparently George with either not very good at "belting" or he wasn't comfortable doing it, so he chose not to do it. Good for him. It's fine if people stick to what they're good at, or what they're comfortable doing. Nobody blames the guy from AC/DC for never trying to sing something like 'Blackbird'.

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2011, 05:07:09 PM »

mmmmmm,i agree(in a way)with the good voice part-as i have already said i think george had a nice voice,not great,nice.but i'm not too sure on the 'fantastic range' part of your quote. georges' range was a limited one. when you talk about range within a singing voice this does not mean your normal voice and a falsetto.now paul had a good range in his pomp,freddie mercury had a good range. not sure about george harrison.
actually that  came from this thread
Wreck of the Hesperus
but even so george sang back up and harmony on many beatles rockers, including Help and Twist and Shout.
when i said george had a fantastic range, perhaps that was a misinterpretation or miscalculation on my part.  ;sorry
what i meant is that george could imbue alot of emotion and color into songs and lyrics. anybody who has heard guitar gently weeps, want to know a secret, wanna be your man or happy just to dance with you knows this is true.

Top 5 George Harrison vocals
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 05:18:55 PM by 7 of 13 »
day tripper yeah

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2011, 05:12:22 PM »

2ch
still waiting for that yardstick.  :P

anyway...

..i'll  give you the point nimrod..

anybody can tell you that John Lennon had the more hardcore rock and roll voice.  4ac

George Harrison Is singing

I Need You, by the Beatles (with lyrics)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 09:30:04 PM by 7 of 13 »
day tripper yeah

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2011, 06:30:04 PM »

isnt the range the number of octaves you can cover ?, I think George had about 1.5
erm,yes you could be right.....i also meant in terms of 'range' that paul,could sing in a lot more styles too,a broader 'range'.but yes,it probably does mean the octave range of a vocalist.
actually that  came from this thread
Wreck of the Hesperus
but even so george sang back up and harmony on many beatles rockers, including Help and Twist and Shout.
when i said george had a fantastic range, perhaps that was a misinterpretation or miscalculation on my part.  ;sorry
what i meant is that george could imbue alot of emotion and color into songs and lyrics. anybody who has heard guitar gently weeps, want to know a secret, wanna be your man or happy just to dance with you knows this is true.

Top 5 George Harrison vocals
yes,colour and emotion were very evident in georges' stuff,particularly emotion,that was the point i was making earlier in the thread.one of the main plusses for me in georges' voice was the emotive quality.which in part,i.m.o,stemmed from his voice actually being quite weak.but still nice!!

larainefan

• A Beginning
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2011, 08:54:46 PM »

What about the early days, when George got a chance to sing more?  I thought I read somewhere he was considered the strongest singer at the Decca auditions, that John was kind of reticent and Paul oversang his parts.

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2011, 09:01:43 PM »

What about the early days, when George got a chance to sing more?  I thought I read somewhere he was considered the strongest singer at the Decca auditions, that John was kind of reticent and Paul oversang his parts.
yes, excellent point. it appears that a couple of songs recorded with john singing lead vocals were actually sang by george when performed live. and yes i think george has a very good hard rock voice, but it's a bit rockabilly flavored, he could also sing the sensitive ballad.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 08:04:24 PM by 7 of 13 »
day tripper yeah

nimrod

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2011, 01:53:20 AM »

I think there are two ways to be a good singer. Either you're very talented and you can do whatever you want with your voice, or you're less talented and you learn to recognize your limitations and make the best of what you've got. Apparently George with either not very good at "belting" or he wasn't comfortable doing it, so he chose not to do it. Good for him. It's fine if people stick to what they're good at, or what they're comfortable doing. Nobody blames the guy from AC/DC for never trying to sing something like 'Blackbird'.

yes, but my point was the Beatles would have been a much lesser group if none of them could sing Im dOwn or Oh Darling or Money

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2011, 04:15:33 PM »

What about the early days, when George got a chance to sing more?  I thought I read somewhere he was considered the strongest singer at the Decca auditions, that John was kind of reticent and Paul oversang his parts.

Colds, hangovers, and lack of sleep was why George was singing so much during those auditions. No wonder they werent signed.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2011, 04:20:23 PM »

and yes i think george has a very good hard rock voice,

Where are these examples that cause you to come to this conclusion? All you keep posting are songs George sang back-ups too and songs like 'I Need You' which is so monotone i'm still shaking my head wondering why you posted it.

George was easily the weakest singer out of John and Paul. I cant believe you think he's so good. He's a smooth, expressive singer with barely any range.

Here's a great rocker for you.
George Harrison

Man, that was great.

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2011, 08:40:54 PM »

i don't see where this is going.. what you appear to be trying to say IMHO is that since John sang lead vocals and paul and george sang harmony and backup vocals in twist and shout; that therefore george wasn't really a singer in the rock and roll tradition. or something.   ha2ha
Blowing in the wind
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 12:20:08 AM by 7 of 13 »
day tripper yeah

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2011, 09:18:29 PM »

Colds, hangovers, and lack of sleep was why George was singing so much during those auditions.
No wonder they werent signed.

explain these...errrr.... rather... implausible scenarios
"dynamic" statements and extraneous eye-candy-isms.
mmmkay..

« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 11:12:11 PM by 7 of 13 »
day tripper yeah

nimrod

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2011, 11:31:40 PM »

explain these...errrr.... rather... implausible scenarios
"dynamic" statements and extraneous eye-candy-isms.
mmmkay..

Im sorry 7 of 13 Ive tried but I cant fugure out what you are talking about or why you keep posting vids of George singing backup vocals  ;sorry

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2011, 11:44:34 PM »

Im sorry 7 of 13 Ive tried but I cant fugure out what you are talking about or why you keep posting vids of George singing backup vocals  ;sorry
your ad hoc frankenstein logic is not reliable, the monotonic diatribe forced.. i remain unconvinced... sorry.
 :(
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 11:47:49 PM by 7 of 13 »
day tripper yeah

nimrod

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2011, 12:01:31 AM »

your ad hoc frankenstein logic is not reliable, the monotonic diatribe forced.. i remain unconvinced... sorry.
 :(

???

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2011, 04:09:52 AM »

day tripper yeah

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2011, 09:54:37 AM »

hey todd-you KNOW george had been ill before recording that album!!and that is a BRILLIANT george vocal there!!years before bono invented the 'smoke too much' rasp in popular music!!!no?ah well then....................

i am really sorry 7 of 13 but i am inclined to agree with the others......this thread is getting stranger and stranger,and i am not fully understanding some of the comments.it is true that george sang more of his repetoire at the decca audition due to the reasons that tkitna stated,it is fact i'm afraid.much as i would love to agree with you,it is also fact that john and paul had stronger voices,and georges' voice did not suit rockier tunes.sorry.and i was not aware that george wrote or sang blowing in the wind or paranoid.

larainefan

• A Beginning
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2011, 11:40:53 AM »

I agree John and Paul had stronger voices, though I do like George's voice, which I think lent certain poignancy to songs.  My point about the Decca auditions was he seemed more confident in the early days.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Page created in 0.645 seconds with 78 queries.