Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: I like George's singing but....  (Read 68912 times)

nimrod

I like George's singing but....
« on: February 11, 2011, 11:46:04 AM »

lets face it he could never belt out a song like John or Paul could, I mean.....could he sing Oh Darling or Twist & Shout ?

could he even belt out 'it was twenty years ago today....' or the difficult Eight Days a Week ?

George was very limited in his singing, always sort of gentle and not very expressive.

7 of 13

• Getting Better
Re: I like George's singing but....
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 10:19:52 PM »

savoy truffle, piggies, it don't come easy, everybodys trying to be my baby, do you want to know a secret, think for yourself, i need you. yes george could sing.
day tripper yeah

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 11:59:16 AM »

he could all sings also Ringo

nimrod

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 12:21:49 AM »

savoy truffle, piggies, it don't come easy, everybodys trying to be my baby, do you want to know a secret, think for yourself, i need you. yes george could sing.

yes I know he could sing, I said I like his singing but your missing the point of the thread.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 12:46:25 AM »

He had a reserved voice, but in his defense, he never veered from his comfort zone in my opinion. Sure he can sing, but your never going to get a Helter Skelter out of him.

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 09:46:47 PM »

let's look at the raw energy of the Beatles performing live,
here is i'm down at shea stadium. notice that both george and john are singing backup harmony vocals.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwqTrtri1J0" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwqTrtri1J0</a>

watch this live performance at the Royal Variety Performance in London,
which includes johns famous "rattle your jewelry" remark and an absolutely breathtaking rendtion of Twist and Shout.
notice the sheer power of georges back up vocals.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvBCmY7wAAU" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvBCmY7wAAU</a>

let's look at what the beatles themselves said about johns singing in twist and shout.

About Twist and Shout

JOHN 1963: "I always hate singing the song, 'Twist And Shout' when there's a colored artist on the bill with us. It doesn't seem right, you know. I feel sort of embarrassed... It makes me curl up. I always feel they could do the song much better than me."

JOHN 1971: "The more interesting songs to me were the black ones because they were more simple. They sort of said shake-your-arse, or your prick, which was an innovation really. The blacks were singing directly and immediately about their pain, and also about sex, which is why I like it."

JOHN 1976: "The last song nearly killed me. My voice wasn't the same for a long time after-- everytime I swallowed it was like sandpaper. I was always bitterly ashamed of it because I could sing it better than that, but now it doesn't bother me. You can hear I'm just a frantic guy doing his best."

PAUL 1988: "There's a power in John's voice there that certainly hasn't been equaled since. And I know exactly why-- It's because he worked his bollocks off that day. We left 'Twist And Shout' until the very last thing because we knew there was one take."

RINGO 1994: "We started (recording the album) about noon and finished it at midnight, with John being really hoarse by 'Twist And Shout.'"
day tripper yeah

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 03:02:25 AM »

Thats all great 7 Of 13, but what does any of that have to do with the thread topic.

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 04:59:21 PM »

Thats all great 7 Of 13...
wow. the "bean counter" approach to something as delicate
and artistic as performing music, playing guitar and singing songs.  ;)
george could sing, george could play guitar,
and he could rock and roll with the best of them.
i question what yardstick you are using to measure how good or bad someone can sing.
and this idea of qualifying these eccentric claims with a needless subjectivity.
nor does any of this  make george a bad singer.  ???
i can't imagine george singing we can work it out,
even though he is responsible for the 3/4 "waltz" time bridge in the song.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is.
end of discussion.

George Harrison - It Don't Come Easy

The Beatles - It's all too much
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 06:01:00 PM by 7 of 13 »
day tripper yeah

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 07:10:17 PM »

i always thought that george had a nice voice....not great,but with it not being as strong,this is a quality that added to his songs(if that makes sense).i think some of his vocals are really lovely,songs like'that is all','all things must pass',it is true maybe that with the more rocky songs george may be found wanting a little,but george really had the wisdom to do what he was good at.after all,i never cared for 'everybodys' trying to be my baby'.i mean,how gorgeous is 'here comes the sun'-nobody can sing that like george could.a nice voice,nothing more,nothing less.well done george!!
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

nimrod

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 01:40:26 AM »

wow. the "bean counter" approach to something as delicate
and artistic as performing music, playing guitar and singing songs.  ;)
george could sing, george could play guitar,
and he could rock and roll with the best of them.
i question what yardstick you are using to measure how good or bad someone can sing.
and this idea of qualifying these eccentric claims with a needless subjectivity.
nor does any of this  make george a bad singer.  ???
i can't imagine george singing we can work it out,
even though he is responsible for the 3/4 "waltz" time bridge in the song.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is.
end of discussion.

Im completely baffled, is it just me ?  ???

nimrod

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 01:47:17 AM »

i always thought that george had a nice voice....not great,but with it not being as strong,this is a quality that added to his songs(if that makes sense).i think some of his vocals are really lovely,songs like'that is all','all things must pass',it is true maybe that with the more rocky songs george may be found wanting a little,but george really had the wisdom to do what he was good at.after all,i never cared for 'everybodys' trying to be my baby'.i mean,how gorgeous is 'here comes the sun'-nobody can sing that like george could.a nice voice,nothing more,nothing less.well done george!!

yes, I agree and as I said in the thread title I do like the way he sings, my point was that he didnt have a raunchy side to his voice in the way that J & P did, you'd never hear George attempt Why Dont We Do It In The Road or Im Down for example, or the way Paul sings on I Got A Feeling.........Its a good job J & P could belt out these rockers as without them doing it the Beatles would have been more limited as a band.
I like singers who could do lovely ballads AND raunchy rock, a lot of bands simply cant do really raunchy stuff as they simply have no one who can sing it

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 05:31:15 AM »

Im completely baffled, is it just me ?  ???

No its not just you. The guy isnt making any sense. The thread topic is Georges voice and anybody that isnt Helen Keller can tell you he doesnt have a strong voice. Sure he can sing, but everybody knows he cant rip through the rompers.

Isnt that what this threads about? I could give a f*** less if he wrote a 3/4 waltz. Who cares?

nimrod

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 08:21:44 AM »

No its not just you. The guy isnt making any sense. The thread topic is Georges voice and anybody that isnt Helen Keller can tell you he doesnt have a strong voice. Sure he can sing, but everybody knows he cant rip through the rompers.

Isnt that what this threads about? I could give a f*** less if he wrote a 3/4 waltz. Who cares?

obviously me  ;D

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 09:39:13 AM »

I meant about writing the 3/4 waltz in the song, not the singing.

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 07:10:28 PM »

apple and oranges.

better is subjective.  roll:)

cough up that yardstick, about singing. 

your drunken strawmen certainly don't prove anything at all about georges voice or his singing.. fact is george harrison had a very powerful voice, but even john lennon would say that he had a limited range.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_niy2ZM5Jo" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_niy2ZM5Jo</a>
day tripper yeah

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 07:50:33 PM »

yes, I agree and as I said in the thread title I do like the way he sings, my point was that he didnt have a raunchy side to his voice in the way that J & P did, you'd never hear George attempt Why Dont We Do It In The Road or Im Down for example, or the way Paul sings on I Got A Feeling.........Its a good job J & P could belt out these rockers as without them doing it the Beatles would have been more limited as a band.
I like singers who could do lovely ballads AND raunchy rock, a lot of bands simply cant do really raunchy stuff as they simply have no one who can sing it
well,i agree nimrod.i wasn't disagreeing with your point at all,i was just giving my own humble opinion on georges' singing.he couldn't sing rock stuff as well as paul and john,no way.he sort of had a way of getting around the real uptempo stuff without belting stuff out.think of 'wah wah'.uptempo and rocky?i think so....but i wouldn't say georges' voice is a real stomper in it,although he sings it real well.strange!
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2011, 08:03:54 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cvUsvp9oB8" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cvUsvp9oB8</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KynpC1e9I9E" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KynpC1e9I9E</a>
day tripper yeah

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 01:25:09 AM »

Thanks for those two examples to prove that he couldnt belt it out.

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 02:13:19 AM »

george had a good singing voice and a fantastic range, not sure what you mean otherwise.

I'm Happy Just To Dance With You (Rare BBC)

« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 02:14:53 AM by 7 of 13 »
day tripper yeah

nimrod

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2011, 03:36:57 AM »

george had a good singing voice and a fantastic range, not sure what you mean otherwise.

2ch
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Page created in 0.519 seconds with 81 queries.