Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18

Author Topic: Remasters!  (Read 64437 times)

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
Remasters!
« on: January 20, 2007, 02:21:38 AM »

Just found this!

Deal for Beatles on iTunes in works

The worldwide Beatles grapevine is buzzing over the distinct possibility that the long-awaited remastering of the Fab Four's United Kingdom CD back catalogue will finally see the light of day -- by June.

As per usual, Apple/EMI is presently mum, but sources with knowledge of the project say that two scenarios are possible for the release of the minimum 11 UK albums.

What's more, the long, heated court feud between the Beatles' Apple Corp. and Apple Computers over naming rights might finally have been resolved. The belief is that Beatles songs at long last will be available for downloading from Apple Computers' iTunes, as soon as next month.

As for the remasters, when CD versions of the Beatles' UK albums were first released some 20 years ago, they came out chronologically over a year, from their first LP, Please Please Me, to their final offering, Let It Be.

Sources say if a chronological release occurs this time, the timeframe would be much quicker, from March to June of this year.

The second strong possibility is that the entire state-of-the art, 24-bit remastered UK catalogue will hit stores the first week of June, to commemorate the 40th anniversary of what many call the Fabs' finest hour -- the release of their ground-breaking Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band album.

SPECIAL DEAL FOR PEPPER

Although there is a chance that Sgt. P will be given a special treatment -- in a box set, with both stereo and rare mono mixes -- little is being said about any extras for the other catalogue albums, other than that a compilation CD might be made available.

Even though EMI had a strong outing with the LOVE soundtrack in 5.1 Surround Sound last year, there's no word on whether any of the new UK remasters will have any multichannel content, which is highly coveted by die-hard fans and audiophiles.

As for the Apple vs. Apple battle, the buzz is that two companies apparently will finally collaborate on Beatles music -- for an exclusive three-month, restricted deal allowing Apple Computers' popular iTunes to offer downloaded, remastered Beatles songs, perhaps even before the CDs are made available.

Apple Computers plans a "special" announcement scheduled for a Super Bowl commercial on Feb. 4, which may give more indication as to where the new remastered CDs will debut first.

"I'm amazed at the possible Apple/Apple alliance," said Steve Marinucci, who runs the award-winning Abbey Rd website. "The Beatles can still surprise us after all these years."
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

BlueMeanie

Re: Remasters!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 07:51:29 AM »

I expect Apple to do the 'wrong' thing and release the mp3's first. I only hope that the downloads and the cd's have received separate treatment, and we're not going to get cd's full of horrible compressed sound.

As for the content, I'm quite happy with mono/stereo where applicable. As long as the remastering is good. The only albums I can see working in surround are Sgt. Pepper, and Abbey Road. As it sounds like there's a rumour about Sgt. Pepper in 5.1, maybe it'll be released as a separate package?

As for having both mono and stereo mixes, most albums could fit that on to a single disc, but the White Album would end up as a 4 disc set and I can't see Apple doing that.

And finally, we're going to discover what they do with Let It Be next!!! Having mistakenly (in my opinion) issued Let It Be...Naked, what happens now? Can they justify going back and reissuing the exact same album that they had presumably replaced? 'Naked' should have had bits of dialogue between songs, like a proper soundtrack, instead of that silly Fly On The Wall cd. I'll be waiting for them to release yet another version when the movie finally comes out!!

Bobber

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 11:46:10 AM »

Found this:

Beatles to Celebrate Sgt. Peppers Anniversary

June 1 2007 will mark the 40th anniversary of the Beatles

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 07:08:39 PM »

the new versions are expected to feature each track re-mastered in a state-of-the art 24-bit sound as well as it’s original mono recording.
Squeeee! This is what I've been waiting for. See, it pays not to buy any Beatles records until... 40 years after they were published...  :B
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 09:21:40 PM »

Quote from: 360
the release of the minimum 11 UK albums.

Does that mean no MMT and Yellow Sub?

BlueMeanie

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 02:22:14 PM »

Quote from: 410

Does that mean no MMT and Yellow Sub?

Yellow Submarine was done a few years back, and Magical Mystery Tour was never an album in the UK until they released the American version in the 70's.

My guess is that they're also going to release some kind of Past Masters type thing with all the rest on it. Maybe some kind of special double mini CD ep type thingy for MMT. But not until Xmas.

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 06:49:07 PM »

Quote from: 483

Yellow Submarine was done a few years back, and Magical Mystery Tour was never an album in the UK until they released the American version in the 70's.

My guess is that they're also going to release some kind of Past Masters type thing with all the rest on it. Maybe some kind of special double mini CD ep type thingy for MMT. But not until Xmas.

Even without MMT there were thirteen original UK albums.The Yellow Sub Songtrack was not the original Yellow Sub and why are we forgetting Oldies...But Goldies?

As for the rest I think you're being optimistic.

Maybe in a few years we'll get a special MMT with record and DVD, but even there I'm not betting on it.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 09:01:46 PM »

Even without MMT there were thirteen original UK albums.The Yellow Sub Songtrack was not the original Yellow Sub and why are we forgetting Oldies...But Goldies?

Does anyone really want the GM instumentals from the original?

'Oldies' was never issued on CD in the first place. We'll have (eventually, at least) everything that's on it anyway.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 05:34:49 AM »

Quote from: 360
Although there is a chance that Sgt. P will be given a special treatment -- in a box set, with both stereo and rare mono mixes -- little is being said about any extras for the other catalogue albums, other than that a compilation CD might be made available.

I hope so.  My old mono vinyl Sgt. Peppers is kinda scratchy.

I can stay till it's time to go

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 09:57:52 AM »

Quote from: 483

Does anyone really want the GM instumentals from the original?

'Oldies' was never issued on CD in the first place. We'll have (eventually, at least) everything that's on it anyway.

We're not talking about CDs.We're talking about what the article says : the original UK albums.
What they're saying is historically not true.

And there's nothing to say that you'll eventually get all the b sides etc that are on Past Masters.
It's weird to think that if MMT is not issued then you can have these eleven albums, ONE, the songtrack, and you STILL won't have Fool On The Hill or Strawberry Fields!

BlueMeanie

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2007, 11:58:46 AM »

Well, this news is still not official, so details are given to us by journalists who may not exactly be experts in the field. We'll have to wait and see exactly what (if anything!) we get.

mr kite

• A Thousand Pages
    • Alberts Continuing Storys
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2007, 02:00:21 PM »

Good old EMI out to bleed the BEATLE fans yet again  >:(
Wallflower Has Blossomed

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2007, 03:43:56 PM »

It's weird to think that if MMT is not issued then you can have these eleven albums, ONE, the songtrack, and you STILL won't have Fool On The Hill or Strawberry Fields!
:'( *pounds head with a rock*

All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2007, 02:27:59 AM »

Remastered albums would be nice, bit not absolutely essential.  For me, anyway.  Yes, the Love album sounds nice, but so do the other albums in their present state.  And that's the way the Beatles heard them in the studio at the time.  The Beatles collection can be digitally altered ad infinitum.

I'm happy I've maintained my old vinyl collection in nice condition (the mono Sgt. Pepper's is my sister's and that's why it's a mess.  I think she used it as a coaster).  There's a special warmth in listening to their works on vinyl which you really don't hear in the digital versions.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2007, 02:48:59 AM »

Quote from: 59
(the mono Sgt. Pepper's is my sister's and that's why it's a mess.  I think she used it as a coaster).
I loaned a vinyl album to my older sister, and I came in and found it naked on the floor jammed under one of the legs of her bed. How in the world do you accidentally drop a bed on an album?!?! Boggles the mind...

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2007, 04:01:05 AM »

Quote from: 551
Boggles the mind...

It does, doesn't it?!  

The monaural Sgt. Pepper's is quite different than the stereo version.  The mono mixes are richer and even some "clues" were found in them, like Paul yelling about something at the end of the reprise*.

Well, fortunately I have "The Alternate Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" CD and so the mono mixes are restored to my collection.

*But as we all know.......

BlueMeanie

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2007, 08:43:47 AM »

Quote from: 59
Remastered albums would be nice, bit not absolutely essential.  For me, anyway.  Yes, the Love album sounds nice, but so do the other albums in their present state.  And that's the way the Beatles heard them in the studio at the time.  The Beatles collection can be digitally altered ad infinitum.

You're lucky that you have the vinyl. The cd's sounds mostly awful.

BTW, I wouldn't say that we'll ever hear it the way it was heard at the time in the studio.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2007, 02:11:47 AM »

I like to think that George Martin played the final mix for the Beatles in the studio which is at least close to what we hear on CDs or vinyl today.  The remastered Love album is definitely not what the Beatles heard then.

Katrina

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2007, 05:30:13 PM »

I suspect this has been discussed already, but anyway, I'm new here.
Are they really going to remaster and reissue Beatles-catalogue this year? I'm wondering this because I don't own all the albums yet, dying to anyway. But I wouldn't want to "waste" my money to the older CD's if they are going to release newer ones... I'm not actually buying records now, I'm saving money, but still... The Beatles IS my favouriteband and I'm especially keen on owning A Hard Days Night and Help!
All you wiser ones out there...help, please? She asked meekly and smiled. :)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2007, 05:50:21 PM »

Go on Ebay and buy some mono vinyl (ok condition is suprisingly cheap - I got three for a tenner) then back them up with the remasters when they come out. Then you hear them how they wanted to sound and how they could have sounded.
don't follow leaders
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 76 queries.