Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The Beatles and Science  (Read 254 times)

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
The Beatles and Science
« on: January 24, 2024, 01:15:21 AM »

I know that somewhere on this topic there is a thread that addressed the acacemic study of the Beatles, but I can't find it, so apologies for starting a near-duplicate thread.

I came across this earlier tonight when I was supposed to be working: https://doi.org/10.1002/bmb.21617

I'm too rushed right now to give it a careful read, but some interesting findings jumped out out me. Here are two quotes:

A case report from Japan published in 2003 reported about a 6-month-old male infant with a rare form of epilepsy. This patient manifested right-sided focal seizures with occasional generalization that were frequently triggered by loud music, especially when exposed to the songs of The Beatles. The authors of this article suggested this form of epilepsy might result from the high musicality of this infant or the special style and instrumentation of Beatles' songs.

In the respective study, patients were asked to listen to music in the preoperative period and also in the postoperative period. As a result, the authors of the study could demonstrate that the music playlist developed with the help of a hospital music therapist is a safe and inexpensive intervention in the perioperative setting that overcomes patients' anxiety and depression. Interestingly, there was a significant difference in the music genre chosen when comparing the pre- and postoperative periods. While in the preoperative phase, 4.8% of the patients preferred to listen to Beatles music, the percentage increased to 7.9% in the postoperative phase.

A lot of the cited studies are rather dated, and details about the studies' specifics are available only in the source documents. I'm not saying the above quoted findings are statistically valid, just interesting to me, and I thought perhaps to the folks here too.

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 32 queries.