Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Punk anyone?  (Read 5972 times)

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
Re: Punk anyone?
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2014, 03:12:05 PM »

I got into punk more out of curiousity (to get a better historical perspective on the late 70's musically), rather than having liked what I heard. But there are some bands I really came to enjoy. I love the first 5 Ramones albums (with Road to Ruin as my favourite), great rock 'n' roll. Play their self-titled back to back with Little Richard's debut and you'll find the same type of energy, excitement and fun. The Clash are great too. Not too many bands can start out as punk then go in a million directions without losing the spirit. The Sex Pistols record is pretty entertaining, if not memorable throughout. Steve Jones is the true star of the record, not Johnny Rotten IMO (or God forbid, Sid Vicious, who doesn't even play on it). NOFX are good too, I love bands who don't take themselves seriously. Haven't heard much Green Day, but Basket Case is a classic (then again, they also have that song with the "I hope you had the time of your life" part, ugh).

http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2014, 05:25:13 PM »

NOFX are good too, I love bands who don't take themselves seriously. Haven't heard much Green Day, but Basket Case is a classic (then again, they also have that song with the "I hope you had the time of your life" part, ugh).

NOFX is great. They haven't made a bad album in 25 years and they're one of the funniest and most entertaining live bands you'll ever see. Especially their albums 'Punk in Drublic' and 'So Long and Thans for All the Shoes' are great. Also be sure to check out their 'Backstage Passport' documentary. It's about a really crazy world tour they did a few years ago. NOFX figured that their tours were too safe and smooth, they wanted to do another tour that would be a complete disaster like in the old days. So they got a few really shady South American promotors with bad reputations to set up some shows for them, went to Asian countries where virtually nobody ever heard of NOFX, and to countries where they had a good chance of getting in trouble with authorities simply for being a punk band. And they brought a chronically drunk road manager. That's one of the greatest rock 'n' roll adventures you'll ever see.

'Kerplunk!' and 'Dookie' by Green Day are excellent, lots of really great songs on those albums. '39/Smooth' and 'Insomiac' have a few good songs too. But you can live without everything they did after that.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2014, 06:00:58 PM »

NOFX is great. They haven't made a bad album in 25 years and they're one of the funniest and most entertaining live bands you'll ever see. Especially their albums 'Punk in Drublic' and 'So Long and Thans for All the Shoes' are great. Also be sure to check out their 'Backstage Passport' documentary. It's about a really crazy world tour they did a few years ago. NOFX figured that their tours were too safe and smooth, they wanted to do another tour that would be a complete disaster like in the old days. So they got a few really shady South American promotors with bad reputations to set up some shows for them, went to Asian countries where virtually nobody ever heard of NOFX, and to countries where they had a good chance of getting in trouble with authorities simply for being a punk band. And they brought a chronically drunk road manager. That's one of the greatest rock 'n' roll adventures you'll ever see.

Sounds great Joost, I'll check it out. Have you ever seen 'em live? I love Punk In Drublic, excellent combination of menacing speed and catchy hooks. And 'My Heart is Yearning' is just hilarious. I'll have to look for other of their albums.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2014, 07:12:49 AM »

I've seen them several times since the late 90s and I'm seeing them again two weeks from now. They're always sloppy, underrehearsed, and talking too much, but somehow never disappointing.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2014, 05:14:49 PM »

Hope you enjoy the concert. I get how they are not disappointing - live shows are not about perfection. Just caught a glimpse of a Pink concert on HBO, she was doing all kinds of acrobatics while singing which was kind of entertaining, but otherwise ALL the songs sounded exactly like the studio versions. Now where's the fun in that?
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 43 queries.