Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Zombies  (Read 11307 times)

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
Re: The Zombies
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2013, 02:18:43 PM »

Anyone remember a British film called 'Bunny Lake Is Missing' where, although not appearing, The Zombies (and Philip Glass) did the soundtrack? A terrific film that used to turn up quite regularly when we had 4 channels.....but now we have 999 channels it's never shown!!!

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2013, 04:33:11 PM »

I remember that as being a very interesting film. An interesting cast, to be sure. I may have to order it.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2013, 04:43:28 PM »

A great psychological thriller by Otto Preminger!  And I was in love with Carol Lynley in those days.

The Zombies appeared on a TV set in a pub...

Bunny Lake Is Missing

Nothing's Changed
Just Out Of Reach
Remember You
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2013, 04:59:05 PM »

Where is Bunny Lake?

The Zombies - She's Not There

KelMar

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2013, 04:38:32 AM »

I also relate "A Rose For Emily" to "Eleanor Rigby" not only because of the lyrics, but because of the minimalist backing instrumentation as well (only a piano in the Zombies' song and only strings in the Beatles' recording).

Ah, yes!

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2013, 07:03:32 AM »

That's a good comparison. I also relate "A Rose For Emily" to "Eleanor Rigby" not only because of the lyrics, but because of the minimalist backing instrumentation as well (only a piano in the Zombies' song and only strings in the Beatles' recording).

'A Rose for Emily' originally had strings as well. There's an alternate version that's a bonus track on some versions of 'Odessey & Oracle'. I prefer it over the album version, and I really don't see why they decided to mix the strings out.

The Zombies - A Rose For Emily [Alternate Version]

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2013, 07:25:13 AM »

'A Rose for Emily' originally had strings as well. There's an alternate version that's a bonus track on some versions of 'Odessey & Oracle'. I prefer it over the album version, and I really don't see why they decided to mix the strings out.

I'm on the other side of the fence with the strings. Usually i'm a sucker for the strings, but they just feel like they are fighting the rest of the song during 'A Rose For Emily'. I prefer the album version, but thats why we're all different.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2013, 03:35:37 PM »

I'm on the other side of the fence with the strings. Usually i'm a sucker for the strings, but they just feel like they are fighting the rest of the song during 'A Rose For Emily'. I prefer the album version, but thats why we're all different.

I usually just listened to the regular 'Odessey & Oracle' album tracks, and 'A Rose for Emily' always sounded to me like it lacked something. When I finally started listening to the bonus tracks as well (they were buried at the end of my CD, after the stereo and the mono versions of the entire album) and heard the alternate version, it sounded to me like this was how the song was really supposed to sound. Like it all fell into place.

But indeed, like someone once said, "I'm glad we're all different. Cause otherwise everyone would be after my girlfriend."  ;D

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2013, 01:21:47 AM »

The Zombies - A Rose For Emily [Alternate Version]

That's another reason to think that it was meant to be their "Eleanor Rigby". But I agree with tkitna here, I prefer the original album version; I think that's the kind of song that shines because of its simplicity.

On the other side, I prefer the mono version of "This Will Be Our Year", which includes horns and a trumpet; they're absent in the stereo version. I think that beautiful trumpet does improve the song.

This Will Be Our Year - The Zombies

The Zombies - This Will Be Our Year (Mono Mix) (The video's owner prevents external embedding)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 02:00:10 AM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2013, 09:34:32 PM »

This hit by the Outsiders is very Zombish...

The Outsiders - Time Won´t Let Me (1966)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2013, 12:06:04 AM »

This hit by the Outsiders is very Zombish...

The Outsiders - Time Won´t Let Me (1966)

The Outsiders was a "White Soul" band.  They used brass and strings extensively as did The Buckinghams, Blood, Sweat & Tears, and Chicago a little later on.  Time Won't Let Me was a big hit here in the United States in early 1966.  I think their sound was noticeably different in comparison to The Zombies' British Beat sound.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2013, 12:43:40 AM »

The Outsiders was a "White Soul" band.  They used brass and strings extensively as did The Buckinghams, Blood, Sweat & Tears, and Chicago a little later on.  Time Won't Let Me was a big hit here in the United States in early 1966.  I think their sound was noticeably different in comparison to The Zombies' British Beat sound.

I'm talking about the song, not the band (in fact I don't know any other song by them). At least the singer and the backing organ reminds me a lot to the Zombies. Just quit the brass and it's the Zombies!

By the way, the Zombies recorded some soul-like songs as well:

The Zombies - I Want You Back Again (Mono)

They also recorded cover versions of "Summertime" and "You Really Got A Hold On Me".

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2014, 01:30:13 AM »

The other day I was thinking about how would be the perfect summary of the relatively short Zombies discography in one CD.

This was my conclusion:

1. She's Not There
2. Leave Me Be
3. Tell Her No
4. She's Coming Home
5. I Want You Back Again
6. Whenever You're Ready
7. I Love You
8. Is This The Dream
9. Remember You
10. Indication
11. Gotta Get A Hold Of Myself
12. Goin' Out Of My Head
13. Care Of Cell 44
14. A Rose For Emily
15. Maybe After He's Gone
16. Beechwood Park
17. Brief Candles
18. Hung Up On A Dream
19. Changes
20. I Want Her She Wants Me
21. This Will Be Our Year
22. Butcher's Tale (Western Front 1914)
23. Friends Of Mine
24. Time Of The Season

The first part consists in the eleven A-sides from 1964-1967 plus the presumably most important B-side ("I Love You"). The rest of the CD is the whole Odessey And Oracle album from 1968.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2014, 05:41:08 AM »

I love their version of 'Summertime' too. 

Summertime - The Zombies

Speaking of 'Summertime', the Buckinghams version is better.  Do we have a Buckinghams thread or do I need to start one?  They deserve it.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2014, 06:26:55 AM »

Do we have a Buckinghams thread or do I need to start one?  They deserve it.

Yes they do.  Start one Todd.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2014, 12:55:10 PM »

The perfect Zombies collection came out about 15 years ago on Ace's subsidiary label Big Beat.
It simply had all the As and Bs from 1964 to 1969 in order.
The kind of release which would be brilliant if applied to the 60s 45s by Marc Bolan, David Bowie and The Who.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2018, 10:07:00 PM »

Finally the Zombies will be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2019. Not that I care too much about the Hall, but it's nice to see the band getting the recognition they deserve.

KelMar

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2018, 11:09:36 PM »

Finally the Zombies will be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2019. Not that I care too much about the Hall, but it's nice to see the band getting the recognition they deserve.

That’s good. I’m not too excited about the rest of them though. I just read that there is fan input used when deciding on this. Nobody asked me if I thought Janet Jackson should be in there!

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2018, 11:31:13 PM »

That’s good. I’m not too excited about the rest of them though. I just read that there is fan input used when deciding on this. Nobody asked me if I thought Janet Jackson should be in there!

I'm not a fan of the other inductions either, but I guess bands like Radiohead, Roxy Music and the Cure deserve to be there due to their importance at their respective times.

I also believe that the Zombies will be the last British Invasion band to be inducted, as there doesn't seem to be enough acclaim for the rest. Actually the Zombies may have entered due to the historic revisionism that started in the '90s, otherwise they probably would have been another forgotten '60s act.

Anyway, the whole concept of the Hall may be silly, but at least the Zombies will be exposed to the world once again after a long long time, and I think that's good.
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.503 seconds with 82 queries.