Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beatlemania : 63-66  (Read 1543 times)

Wayne L.

Beatlemania : 63-66
« on: May 16, 2004, 12:55:28 PM »

I would like to hear from any original Beatles fans from the 60's who " experienced " Beatlemania firsthand on this site or by e-mail as in their appearances on Ed Sullivan & Shea Stadium as well as other happenings in the USA, England & other countries concerning the Beatles at the height of Beatlemania from 63-66!

Re: Beatlemania : 63-66
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2004, 03:46:39 PM »

I missed Ed Sullivan, don't know how.  ABC did show Shea and I recall being quite excited by that.

The main thing for me was the music...radio and records.  The old man didn't like them at all so it made it a tad harder to enjoy, as now whle families might watch Help.

I do remember one of the funniest things...in the late 80's NBC showed A Hard Day's Night for the very first time on network TV.  Instead of the colored peacock to open the show a cartoon penguin walked out and started flapping it's flippers.  Indicating that the movie was black and white.  Funny!

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 02:29:01 AM »

i wonder why??????

apple sauce

• Getting Better
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 03:26:14 AM »

It was like a count down to a space launch the Beatles on Ed sullivan! They were the newest thing and when they started to play and shake their long hair we went wild! Singing along to the songs! Stunning, mezmorizing, breath taking, just a few of the descriptive words for their performance!!!! Beatlemania was a merchandising blitz ready? We bought their bubble gum cards, lunch pails, boots, records, magazines, they were on sat morning cartoons, Every AM radio stations top 10 rotation had at least 5 Beatle songs therefore you could literly scan all the pop am stations and hear "Beatle" music 24hrs a day!!! They were in "Life, Time " magazine on all the newspapers! Communication was very narrow in the early 60s. No 500 stations, not many magazines, no "FM" radio, no computers, just Black and white tv and AM radio They saturated the media that was very narrow! Beatlemania struck North America and it was all every teen and parent were talking about!!

apple sauce

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 03:36:06 AM »

If you flash forward to the last appearances on Ed Sullivan they were also stunning for different reasons! Two short films didn't even know the word video back then! Ed was clever one film first segment and the last right at the end of the show! It's like the "Beatles" couldn't be with us live , but they sent two new songs for all you fans out there! Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane! The Beatles looked extremely different than their Revolver and Help looks! They had mustaches and the songs my "GOD" Strawberry Fields first time heard with the film! They had gone artsy! Their music was more mature! The clothes were cooler! They were the next version of the Beatles and that night we wondered just what we had seen???? IT was a preview of Sgt. Pepper we actually saw that night we just didn't know it at the time! I belive that Ed Sullivan also showed Revolution and Hey Jude on his program, but the change in the Beatle's apperance and the 2 songs were stunning!!!!!

beatlesnumber9

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 09:04:44 PM »

We'd play Beatles of course. We nailed a Tide box to a board and nail rubber bands on it to make guitars, set up broom handle for mic's, stick a record on and BOOM! We even played for the girls in the neighborhood, who for some ungodly reason played along. They'd scream and throw grass and cookies at us (not the kind you smoke, the kind you mow).

One of the guys went on to play in a very popular local band, and he's still a full time musician. He plays around Kent State. (Prolly shouldn't drop his name).

Most of my friends were musicians, some made it, most didn't. But The Beatles inspired us all.

I had to get a crew cut (again, dear old dad), and I was mad that my cuzz had Beatle bangs before me. But I was the first to get Beatle Boots. If I had kept all the Beatle paraphernalia from then I'd be a rich man now. Who'd have thunk it? No one knew we were watching such a huge historical event.

You'd have had to live it to understand it. It's just sooooo beyond words. That's when the girls were fainting and all that.

Actually, I haven't met many female Beatle fans after The Beatles started making more serious music. Not until the Internet did I realize there's a lot of female fans. If I were to take a guess, I'd say there's more male fans than female fans today. Think?

Mike S.

• One And One Is Two
  • "What Is Life"
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2005, 12:39:36 AM »

Wow, sorry for writting in this, I was not an original 60's fan but, these are just awesome posts. I have wished and still do wish That I could have been alive to enjoy the sound of the Beatles during the 60's. Its not just the Beatles that make me wish I was there, its just, times seemed better. People were better. From what I have heard from him, it was one of our Nations better times through history. I just wish I could have seen it for myself.

:'(

apple sauce

• Getting Better
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2005, 12:37:31 AM »

WE traded the cards at school during recess! First the blk&white ones then one day I showed up with the coloured ones and everybody went crazy!! The Beatle cards amongst guys was huge! 45s were bought the day they came out in most cases. We heard the songs on 5 different radio stations and you could spin the dial and hear different spots in the song over all the "AM-Stations". It was the biggest cultural movement of the 20th century. We cut our hair like them, dressed in Beatle boots and wore Beatle clothes!!

beatlesnumber9

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2005, 11:00:14 AM »

I'll NEVER forget the complete thrill of seeing them bigger than life at the drive in Hard Day's Night, and the new exitement of seeing them in color in Help!

There's no words to describe Beatlemania. You've all seen the movies and stuff. It's like describing color to someone born blind.

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 53 queries.