Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Reissue Living In The Material World  (Read 3195 times)

Bobber

Reissue Living In The Material World
« on: June 21, 2006, 09:14:13 AM »

Found this on Yahoo

George Harrison's Living In The Material World to be Reissued in CD and Deluxe Limited Edition CD/DVD Packages by Capitol/EMI

Remastered CD Adds Two Bonus Tracks; Deluxe Edition's DVD Features Previously Unreleased and Rare Archival Film and Audio Clips

In Stores: September 26, 2006

Capitol/EMI Music Catalog Marketing is proud to announce the reissue of George Harrison's Living In The Material World album on September 26, 2006.

The CD will be issued in two formats. Both packages will contain the album, which has been re-mastered at Abbey Road Studios from the original analog tapes. The new version also includes two additional tracks, "Deep Blue" (originally a B-side from 1971) and "Miss O'Dell" (the B-side to "Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth)").

The single-disc package's jewel case will contain a 12-page booklet with lyrics and extra photographs. The special limited edition package will house the CD and a companion DVD with an expanded 40-page booklet. The set's exclusive DVD features:

* Rare footage of George performing "Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth)" from his 1991 Japanese tour with Eric Clapton.

* A mini-feature edited from film commissioned by George in 1973 of the album's production in Britain and America.

* Previously unreleased versions of "Miss O'Dell" and "Sue Me, Sue You Blues" set to visuals of unseen archival material.

Living In The Material World was George's second solo album of new songs following the Beatles' break-up in 1970 and its lyrical focus revealed his continuing mission to explore spiritual themes. Many people would hear his message. Five weeks after its release in May 1973, the LP and its single 'Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth)' simultaneously occupied the number one positions on the US albums and singles charts.

The success of the album continued a winning streak that had begun with the release of All Things Must Pass. Featuring the worldwide number one 'My Sweet Lord', the triple LP set had topped the US album chart at the beginning of 1971. Later that year, George masterminded two remarkable concerts at Madison Square Garden in New York to help raise awareness and money for the starving refugees from Bangladesh. The commercial success of the Concert For Bangladesh live album was emphatic and unprecedented -- another triple LP box set that was a best seller around the world -- and it won an 'Album of the Year' Grammy Award.

For Living In The Material World, George assembled a core group in the Apple Studio in London consisting of Nicky Hopkins and Gary Wright on keyboards, Klaus Voormann on bass and Jim Keltner on drums. They recorded backing tracks which received varying degrees of enhancement through subsequent overdubs. The most complex musical arrangement on the album is heard on the title track. Having played together at the Concert For Bangladesh, Ringo Starr and Jim Keltner perform their 'double drums' on 'Living In The Material World' and the brass parts were played by Jim Horn with help from Klaus Voormann on tenor saxophone. The gentler sections of the song feature tabla virtuoso Zakir Hussein and Jim Horn on flute and recorders.

The slide guitar playing heard throughout All Things Must Pass had quickly become associated with the George Harrison 'solo' sound and it is equally prominent on Living In The Material World. The exquisite dual harmony slide guitar parts on 'Give Me Love' were integral to that track's gentle power and on 'Sue Me, Sue You Blues', George revealed a bluesy side to his playing -- more bottleneck than Hawaiian in its style.

The four gentle ballads -- 'Be Here Now', 'The Day The World Gets Round', 'The Light That Has Lighted The World' and 'Who Can See It' -- are heartfelt reflections on how to live a spiritual life in the turmoil of the material world -- 'where there's so little chance to experience soul'. The joyous 'Don't Let Me Wait Too Long' picks up on the 'really want to see you' theme of 'My Sweet Lord'. The spiritual nature of these songs is mirrored in the artwork on the gatefold LP sleeve, which featured an illustration from the Bhagavad-Gita.

At the foundation of Living In The Material World are George's unwavering sincerity and integrity. These are rare qualities in mainstream popular music and should be treasured and nurtured wherever they are discovered. This is a welcome and timely re-issue.

Re: Reissue Living In The Material World
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 05:19:20 PM »

Olivia's doing a great job with Georges remasters. Thanks for the info Bobber.

ma_tt2

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 08:55:29 PM »

She's doing an amazing job. Concert For Bangladesh couldn't have been done any better, even the packaging was amazing. I'll definatly pick up the deluxe version.

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 05:51:07 PM »

This is the one I've been waiting for. I just ordered the 'Bangladesh' and 'Dark Horse' DVDs--looking forward to those. If it was Yoko reissuing the CD, you would get bit by bit stuff, an extra track here, another re-release with a few outtakes, etc., etc,.  Hats off to Olivia, she seems like a class act.

Bobber

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 08:47:54 AM »

The official GEORGE HARRISON website now has further details of the reissue of the LIVING IN THE MATERIAL WORLD album on the NEWS section of the George Harrison website: http://www.georgeharrison.com
The report mentions that a new website will be online soon, complete with audio clips, a radio documentary and exclusive merchandise.

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 02:53:13 PM »

Here the Artwork

ma_tt2

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 09:15:11 PM »

That looks amazing. I cant wait to get it.

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 05:16:23 AM »

It is a very pretty looking thing. Crafted with love and care.

becky

• A Beginning
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 03:36:33 PM »

I'm really excited about this rerelease! Septemeber is going to take forever to get here. :'( I plan on getting it the day it comes out. ;D

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2006, 10:24:58 PM »

They play "Living in the Material World" alot on beatlesarama.com and I've really grown to appreciate its artistry.  I met Jim Horn a couple times a few years back and wish I'd known the song better, I would definitely have asked him about it.  (BTW, Jim is one of the few musicians who recorded with all four ex-Beatles, or at least that's what he told me.)

Bobber

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 09:23:28 AM »

ma_tt2

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2006, 01:48:23 AM »

5 more days  ;D

Bobber

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2006, 12:08:39 PM »

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2006, 11:36:40 PM »

Thanks for that link Bobber. I always loved 'Give Me Love'. Just a nice, peaceful, feel good tune.

ma_tt2

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2006, 09:08:28 PM »

Living In The Material world site is up. www.georgeharrison.com and theres a link there.

ma_tt2

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2006, 02:51:00 AM »

I just went to amazon.ca and it said its not being released until October 3rd.. I wonder why they would push the release back

BlueMeanie

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2007, 05:27:16 PM »

I just got this album, and I have to say what wonderful packaging! Apple do seem to be getting their act together recently. Lovely album too ;D

Does anyone know if they're planning to do a similar job on Dark Horse?

Page created in 0.417 seconds with 67 queries.