Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 1980 : Coming Up or Just Like Starting Over  (Read 8269 times)

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
  • Shake your tired eyes the world is waiting for you
Re: 1980 : Coming Up or Just Like Starting Over
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2004, 08:59:41 PM »

i prefer Just Like Starting Over

[face=Arial]            Give me love, give me peace on Earth...[/face]
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Bobber

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2006, 10:52:16 AM »

Coming Up.

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2006, 11:41:00 AM »

Yeah, I prefer Coming Up - wasn't it that song that inspired John to go back in the studio?

Bobber

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2006, 11:47:56 AM »

Quote from: 360
I really like both of these tracks, but I'll go for Starting Over.

Quote from: 360
Yeah, I prefer Coming Up - wasn't it that song that inspired John to go back in the studio?

Go with the flow, Alan!  ;D

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2006, 11:50:48 AM »

LOL - see how I change with the seasons!! ;D

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2006, 04:56:32 PM »

starting over

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2006, 01:17:50 PM »

Coming Up ... also the video.

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2006, 07:23:01 PM »

Starting Over.
All You Need Is LOVE!

Mendips

• Getting Better
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2006, 11:34:58 AM »

I prefer Coming Up.
I remember seeing Paul and Linda on Saturday Night Live with Father Guido Sarducci in May 1980. and they showed the video and I thought it was really 80's and clever and Paul playing all the instruments was a riot, and he was even dressed like a circa 1963 Beatle. Sarducci woke the Macs up in England not knowing there was a time difference.

TRANSCRIPT:

Weekend Update Exclusive Report
Father Guido Sarducci.....
Jane Curtin...
.....Paul McCartney
.....Linda McCartney

Jane Curtin: Good evening! It's been 122 days since Paul McCartney was arrested in Japan for possession of marijuana; and it's been 122 days since Paul McCartney last smoked marijuana. now, Weekend Update continues to bring you the most comprehensive coverage of this crisis. We sent to England the same correspondent who almost got an exclusive interview with Paul in a Tokyo priosn. Of course, I'm referring to our own Father Guido Sarducci. Even though it's 4:30 in the morning over there, we've set up a live satellite feed with Father Sarducci in London. Father, are you there?

Father Guido Sarducci: [ via satellite; hair braided ] Hello, Jane. I'm a-standing here in front of-a where Paul McCartney is a-staying in the West End section of London, England.

Jane Curtin: Is Paul there with you, Father?

Father Guido Sarducci: Well, a-not yet, Jane. But he'll be a-down at any moment, Jane. This here, this is-a his a-office. And up-a there on the second floor, that's-a his apartment. He's been holed up-a there since he was-a paroled from a-prison. [ throws penny at window; it bounces off unnoticed ] Secoind floor up there. He should be down-a any minute now. Hey.. I bet you're a-wondering about my hair, right?

Jane Curtin: It does look a little different.

Father Guido Sarducci: Thank you! This is-a the latest in Italy.. it's called a Corn Roll. Some people, they call it "Maize Roll". There's a new movie just-a come out about a month ago - it's called "Diez", it means Number 10. There's-a a girl in-a the movie, she's-a real pretty, they say she's-a real Diez, you know? She's got hair just-a like this, and all-a the women in Italy, they went and had this. And then this actor, his name is Victor Gasmann - very famous, wonderful actor - came in with his hair like this, and now men have it, too. Costs me 40,000 lira - a lot of money, but I tell you it's worth it, you know, 'cause they said you could-a leave it like this for-a four or-a five months - don't have to wash it or nothing!

Jane Curtin: Father, thanks for telling us about your hair, but is Paul McCartney there or not?

Father Guido Sarducci: Well, of course-a he is! This is-a where he's been a-hiding ever since he's been-a paroled - I told you that. He'll be right down any minute now.. if you'll hold your horses, he'll be down..

Jane Curtin: Father, you told us you had a definite appointment set up with him for 11:30!

Father Guido Sarducci: That's right, I did. I sent him a certified letter, and-a everything. But, you know, I think what happened was, he got-a the time messed up. You see, I told him 11:30, but over here now it's 4:30 in the morning.. and I think, probably, he thought I meant 11:30 England time. It's a long story, but what it is - the time changes as you travel across-a the ocean. It goes-a like this - every thousand miles, time changes one hour. You know, like, in-a New York-a now, it's 11:30; then, in Iceland, it's-a 12:30; then..

Jane Curtin: Father, Father, you said you had it all set up, that Paul McCartney would open the show for us. That's why we spent so much money to hook up this live remote from London.

Father Guido Sarducci: Well, I think it's just a matter of a moment, before he wakes up and comes-a down here. You just have to be-a patient.. what it is, it's trans-atlantic, it seems like that.. it's very complicated..

Jane Curtin: Father, I don't think we can wait any longer. We've got to start the show.

Father Guido Sarducci: Well.. I guess I could get somebody else to open the show.. but I know Paul is gonna be very, very disappointed..

Jane Curtin: I'm sure he'll understand.

Father Guido Sarducci: Well.. there's a lot of people here.. [ points offscreen ] Here's a fellow, a milkman.. Buddy? Could you come over here a minute, please? Do me a little favor? [ Milkman walks up ] Hey, listen, if you would, please, look into the camera, and I want you to read that.. [ hands him note ] ..if you would, please..

Milkman: [ reads note ] "Live, from New York and London, it's Saturday Night."

Father Guido Sarducci: Well.. the penny hitting the window didn't-a work; my serenade didn't-a work; but I know this is gonna work - a rock! [ turns around, throws rock at window, the lights turn on immediately ] That's an old gossip columnist-a trick - Miss Rona toaught me-a that one. It's works every time, he'll be out I know it, you can-a bet on it! He's coming, this is it, I can't-a believe it!

[ Paul McCartney walks outside ]

Paul McCartney: What's going on here?

Father Guido Sarducci: That rock, it was the milkman.. he did it, and then ran.

Paul McCartney: It wasn't you?

Father Guido Sarducci: No, it wasn't me. I'm-a here to do the interview. You know, I wrote you about it and everything, a registered letter..

Paul McCartney: Yeah, but that was supposed to be 11:30 last night, though.. I mean, you know.. it's five in the morning now..

Father Guido Sarducci: Well.. it's a long-a story.. There was a time change, you didn't hear about it? It's like, every piece of land is one hour less than the other one. It's a long story.. it's really involved, it gets a little technical, I don't think you want to go into it, but that's the reason..

Paul McCartney: Listen, could we do this tomorrow? 'Cause, I mean, really, it's awful late..

Father Guido Sarducci: This is live! Look at this, it's live television! This a hook-up satellite to the United States. This is it, now, let's do it! You know what I want to ask you: Is it true that you haven't had any marijuana in 122 days - yes or no?

Paul McCartney: [ sighs ] It was my understanding that we were just going to talk about the videotape, you know? Are they showing it yet?

Father Guido Sarducci: No, it's still coming up.. But I just would like to ask you a couple of questions first. Just a couple.

Paul McCartney: Alright, that's fine. Just as long as they are questions about the tape - just the tape, okay?

Father Guido Sarducci: It has to be questions about the tape? Well.. [ thinking ] ..how long did it take to make-a the tape?

Paul McCartney: Well, it took a lot of time, actually, because I play a lot of different roles on the tape. It's only about four minutes long itself, but it took over a week to shoot it.

Father Guido Sarducci: If you was still smoking, do you think it would have taken longer or shorter?

Paul McCartney: Well, it might have taken longer.. but it might have seemed shorter than that. But I don't see how that matters..

Father Guido Sarducci: Well, it would have taken longer, but it would have seemed shorter, that's your answer?

[ Linda McCartney joins the party ]

Linda McCartney: I thought you were coming at 11:30?

Father Guido Sarducci: Well.. Paul got the time mixed up. It's a long, long story, but it's-a like, every piece of land is an hour earlier, and live far aay, so it's really, really early there..

Paul McCartney: Linda's in the tape, too.

Linda McCartney: Yeah, Paul plays ten of the characters, and I play two backup singers - one's a fella.

Paul McCartney: Yeah, you know, most of the characters are based on certain definite people - I mean, for instance, you've got the keyboard player of The Sparks, and you've got Hank Marvin of The Shadows, you probably know them.

Father Guido Sarducci: Hank Marvin? Well, I've heard of him, but I don't know him personally..

Paul McCartney: Well, we have this saxophone section, and there's this hippie guy at the end of it. Well, he kind of gets all the stuff wrong..

Linda McCartney: Oh, he's my favorite, the hippie guy! The sax section is really in time - while they're going forward, the hippie's always out of tune and time, he goes back, and..

Paul McCartney: The dancing I have to do is, like, real complicated to do, you know? I have to imagine the people.. it's..

Father Guido Sarducci: Hey, I bet it is real hard to dance when you're not stoned, am I right?

Paul McCartney: It wasn't easy, but.. uh.. are you gonna show the tape?

Father Guido Sarducci: Yes. We are gonna show the tape, for sure. But I just want to aks you one more question, if you don't mind. It's very important, people want to know..

Paul McCartney: It's not about marijuana, right?

Father Guido Sarducci: No.. This is a question I really hate to ask you, 'cause I know everyone always asks you this-a question, but I'm a journalist, I have to do it, if you don't mind. Paul: If, just-a if, you could be any animal, what would it-a be?

Paul McCartney: Any animal?

Father Guido Sarducci: Any animal.

Paul McCartney: [ thinking ] Koala bear.

Father Guido Sarducci: Koala bear! Did you hear? Koala bear! Is that the little animal all the time, they eat eucalypse leaves, they get-a stoned all the time! Well, you heard it - koals bear! Well, that's it. And you can take it back, America!

Paul McCartney: Okay, play the tape!

VIDEO
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvEQmyoP18E" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvEQmyoP18E</a>

When I first heard Starting Over, I didn't see a video just heard it on the radio, I didn't know who it was at first. I just thought it was an old song from the 50s, sounded very genuine.
John: You're just a lonely old man from Liverpool.
Grandfather: But I'm clean!
John: Are ya?

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2006, 01:43:51 PM »

OMG! That's awesome. I haven't seen that since it originally aired! The only thing I remembered was the koala bear thing and Father Guido making all the drug references. I don't even remember them playing the video. I think I was too shocked from just seeing Paul on live tv. I thought that was the coolest thing when they did that. I wonder why the never replayed it. Thanks for posting that!!!  :D  :D

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2006, 04:53:35 PM »

Starting Over makes me cringe. I waited five years for that f*ckers comeback, the great working class hero, the MAN. I can remember the crushing dissapointment when I first heard it on the radio. That's it? Five years and this safe, no- risk bit of middle of the road radio music is it? You're a self proclaimed genius remember.
Coming Up is OK, but not special. At least it has a slightly contempory feel, but I wouldn't buy it.

(I kind of think all 60's rock stars should have been put on a lonely island for ten years in 1980. The world had left them behind and it  was too soon for nostalgia. Hard to think of any of them that produced any music of note.)
don't follow leaders

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2006, 05:02:37 PM »

STARTing over coMIng UP.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2006, 02:13:18 AM »

zipp is being subliminal....now i gotta go listen to mick....it worked i guess...

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2006, 06:38:08 PM »

The Stones always did steal from the Beatles....

ma_tt2

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2006, 03:08:54 AM »

I like Coming Up better

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2006, 01:32:01 AM »

Quote from: 214
I like Coming Up better

Me too
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2006, 04:01:33 AM »

Quote from: 216
I haven't seen that since it originally aired!

I remember that SNL show and interview also.  Paul, in his 1960s gear and wig, looked as he did 15 years before.  It's a great video!
I can stay till it's time to go

JimColyer

• A Beginning
  • I wrote Save The Planet.
    • Jim Colyer
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2006, 09:50:25 PM »

Strating Over.

All of Lennon's solo work is better than McCartney's.

Bobber

« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2006, 07:25:41 AM »

Mmm. So you really think that Sometime In New York City is a better album than, say, Band On The Run? I know, it's all opinions...

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2006, 11:29:52 AM »

Starting Over ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 85 queries.