Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: the earliest surviving footage of The Beatles  (Read 10609 times)

Bobber

Re: the earliest surviving footage of The Beatles
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2008, 03:11:56 PM »

They always wore this on stage from the early Hamburg days in fall 1960 till March 1962. The club is definately not the Top Ten Club and as walrusgumboot suggests, it might not be the Southports Floral Hall either. But again: the footage could very well be from January or February 1962. The Beatles did not look like the happy looking moptops in your 1962 picture at all in those early months of the year. It was not like: 'Hey guys, it's 1 January 1962, let's dramatically change our looks because we don't want to look the same as last year and yesterday, do we?'

The Swine

• Getting Better
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2008, 03:30:20 PM »

Quote from: 1458

well they weren't fashionable then, if they were with the same outfits even from 1961 till 1962, but I still don't believe that, that video was from 1962 (sorry), maybe the club wasn't really "top ten club" because I researched how that club was really looked like inside when The Beatles there performed, and yes, the club was very different than in this footage.

sorry but maybe you should get your facts right first before stepping into a discussion
THE INTERNET IS NOT A PLACE FOR 13 YEAR OLDS

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2008, 03:38:18 PM »

Quote from: 748

sorry but maybe you should get your facts right first before stepping into a discussion

yeah and nobody can prove that that video was from 1962, yeah? who could have a real source that the video was filmed in 1962? not the article or what, because they are lies IMO. look this is just in my opinion why I think that video was recorded in 1961 that's it, get it? no? okay, I don't care. say whatever you want  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(

Bobber

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2008, 03:42:51 PM »

yeah and nobody can prove that that video was from 1962, yeah? who could have a real source that the video was filmed in 1962? not the article or what, because they are lies IMO. look this is just in my opinion why I think that video was recorded in 1961 that's it, get it? no? okay, I don't care. say whatever you want  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(

Nice harmonies now.  :)  Of course you're entitled to your opinion. There is no evidence that the footage is from 1962, but neither there's evidence of it being from 1961. Looking at the instruments (not before July 1961) and suits (before March 1962) it is somewhere between those dates. The hearts suggests that the footage is from somewhere around Valentines Day and that can only be in February 1962. But that's my opinion.  ;D

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2008, 03:52:24 PM »

Quote from: 63

Nice harmonies now.  :)  Of course you're entitled to your opinion. There is no evidence that the footage is from 1962, but neither there's evidence of it being from 1961. Looking at the instruments (not before July 1961) and suits (before March 1962) it is somewhere between those dates. The hearts suggests that the footage is from somewhere around Valentines Day and that can only be in February 1962. But that's my opinion.  ;D

okay then... well, those opinions (lookaround)

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2008, 03:59:38 PM »

I think February 1962 as well. Switch the video to "high quality" and watch the upper left hand corner at about the :31 second mark: I think it says "Valentine's Day" unless I'm seeing things. Could easily be wrong, though.

Bobber

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2008, 04:15:55 PM »

Quote from: 1571
Aw, I played there about thirty years later, too!

Are you kidding? If not, can you identify the club in the footage as the Floral Hall?

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2008, 06:04:49 PM »

Quote from: 758
brilliant footage with macca doin his bouncing thing even then when he is playing bass

I noticed that bouncing thing too - very cool! I bounce when I play keyboards, but it's not the same, alas ...

But really all this does bring up a question ... what IS generally accepted as the earliest surviving motion picture footage of the Beatles?
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

NoNameR

• A Beginning
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2008, 06:16:41 PM »

The Beatles already signed the contract with (I don't remember, which) the music company in 1962. so you wanna say they still did those concerts in hamburg clubs in 1962, though they already had to record "please please me"?. that source is probably wrong.

Well yeah, they did have to do all those concerts, even after signing with Parlophone! They'd agreed to do them before they had a Top 20 hit with Love Me Do, so off they trotted to fulfill their agreement. Hence the Star-Club tapes being illegal due to them being recorded during the Fabs' tenure on Parlophone.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2008, 06:16:49 PM »

As Walrusgumboot says, it's not the Floral Hall. The FH is actually a theatre.

94beatlesrthebest. You've decided that this must be from 1961 - for some reason - probably because you want it to be from that time. It may turn out to be from late 1961, but it is NOT from The Top Ten Club. And as Geoff stated, it says 'Valentines Day' in the clip.

I don't want to come over all superior, but some of us on here have been around the block, read a lot, researched a lot, seen a lot of stuff. You could learn something if you stick around and listen. Of course, if you want to ignore all that and still tell yourself that it's from early '61 then go ahead. But don't expect to win any quizzes!

NoNameR

• A Beginning
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2008, 06:18:33 PM »

The Beatles did not look like the happy looking moptops in your 1962 picture at all in those early months of the year. It was not like: 'Hey guys, it's 1 January 1962, let's dramatically change our looks because we don't want to look the same as last year and yesterday, do we?'

Also remember that the second photo is with Ringo. So, August 1962. I'm not sure that Pete Best ever was seen in a 'Beatle suit'. Correct me if I'm wrong, though!

NoNameR

• A Beginning
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2008, 06:21:54 PM »

Are you kidding? If not, can you identify the club in the footage as the Floral Hall?

No, I don't tend to kid. You just get tied up in knots that way!

I played at the Floral Hall in the early 90s and even saw the Kinks there a few years later. Now, accepting that things may have changed a lot in the intervening years, that is NOT the Floral Hall. The Floral Hall is quite a big venue (the Kinks didn't even sell it out!) and, most importantly, it's seated. This venue is not.

NoNameR

• A Beginning
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2008, 06:27:54 PM »

Quote from: 1161
I think February 1962 as well. Switch the video to "high quality" and watch the upper left hand corner at about the :31 second mark: I think it says "Valentine's Day" unless I'm seeing things. Could easily be wrong, though.

Bloody hell! It *really* does look like it, doesn't it? It's tilted at an angle, but really does look like 'Val' and 'Day'. I think you've cracked something here, Sir!

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2008, 06:35:41 PM »

There's a page on this at Chaz Avery's site, along with a list of venues The Beatles played in February 1962, omitting Casbah and Cavern dates.

01.02.1962 West Kirby, Thistle Cafe'
02.02.1962 Manchester, Oasis Club
05.02.1962 Southport, Kingsway Club
09.02.1962 Birkenhead, Technical College
10.02.1962 Birkenhead, Youth Club
15.02.1962 Wallasey, Tower Ballroom
16.02.1962 Birkenhead, Technical College
2nd show Wallasey, Tower Ballroom
20.02.1962 Southport, Floral Hall
23.02.1962 2nd show Wallasey, Tower Ballroom
3rd show Birkenhead, Technical College
4th show Wallasey, Tower Ballroom
24.02.1962 Hoylake, YMCA
26.02.1962 Southport, Kingsway Club

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2008, 06:37:14 PM »

Quote from: 483
As Walrusgumboot says, it's not the Floral Hall. The FH is actually a theatre.

94beatlesrthebest. You've decided that this must be from 1961 - for some reason - probably because you want it to be from that time. It may turn out to be from late 1961, but it is NOT from The Top Ten Club. And as Geoff stated, it says 'Valentines Day' in the clip.

I don't want to come over all superior, but some of us on here have been around the block, read a lot, researched a lot, seen a lot of stuff. You could learn something if you stick around and listen. Of course, if you want to ignore all that and still tell yourself that it's from early '61 then go ahead. But don't expect to win any quizzes!

jeez... chill out. I don't wanna any troubles and I've been a Beatlemaniac since I've been a kid, but of course you may are by far bigger fan with a lot more knowledge about The Beatles than me. I agree, and I didn't imagine `61, just because I want that. lol.  I just somewhere have read about it, and I'd posted this in this forum. but THINK!!! okay I agree, maybe this wasn't a top ten club, you right, but The Floral Hall? uhh no! it's obvious that the movie was filmed in some of those dark clubs in britain or in germany, I have seen the size of stage at floral hall and it's not the same as in that video.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2008, 06:37:18 PM »

Quote from: 1571

Bloody hell! It *really* does look like it, doesn't it? It's tilted at an angle, but really does look like 'Val' and 'Day'. I think you've cracked something here, Sir!

I think so, especially on hi res, but as I said, it could be wishful thinking on my part.  :)

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2008, 07:07:27 PM »

jeez... chill out. I don't wanna any troubles and I've been a Beatlemaniac since I've been a kid, but of course you may are by far bigger fan with a lot more knowledge about The Beatles than me. I agree, and I didn't imagine `61, just because I want that. lol.  I just somewhere have read about it, and I'd posted this in this forum. but THINK!!! okay I agree, maybe this wasn't a top ten club, you right, but The Floral Hall? uhh no! it's obvious that the movie was filmed in some of those dark clubs in britain or in germany, I have seen the size of stage at floral hall and it's not the same as in that video.

From my point of view 94, it's all good, I appreciate your posting that most excellent clip!

I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

walrusgumboot

• Bootleg Members
  • A Beginning
  • Watch the footwork baby !
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2008, 07:41:10 PM »

Ok...why is it being assumed that because there is a heart on the tinsel streamers, it must be on or around Valentines Day.

It could be an engagement party, a wedding even a 21st...there weren't many decorations around in those days !!

It has been suggested at other places that this film was actually shot by Mona Best at the Casbah.

If that is the case, you'd have thought she'd have concentrated more on Pete.

Walrus
Tuned to a Natural E...Happy to be that way

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2008, 07:45:15 PM »

the valentines writing geoff mentioned which is very clear gives it away ;) :P

BlueMeanie

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2008, 07:51:15 PM »

^ As Geoff said, if you look at the clip in higher res (on the YouTube site) you can see after half a minute in the top left, stuck to the curtain is big heart with what looks suspiciously like Happy Valentines Day printed on it. Now I know that doesn't mean it is actually Valentine's day, but it would seem to put it either just before, or more likely, just after.

You're right about decorations in those days. Remember those paper chains you used to have to make at Xmas? Took the whole family all day. Fun we used to have!!

Anyway, I would have thought that gold lame was decoration enough!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 0.28 seconds with 78 queries.