Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beatles songs that refer to other Beatles songs  (Read 1558 times)

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
Beatles songs that refer to other Beatles songs
« on: August 16, 2021, 08:29:38 PM »

‘Glass Onion’ — refers to ‘I Am The Walrus’, ‘Strawberry Fields Forever’, ‘Lady Madonna’, ‘The Fool on the Hill’ and ‘Fixing a Hole’

‘I Am The Walrus’ — refers to ‘Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds’

‘All You Need Is Love’ — refers to ‘She Loves You’

‘Savoy Truffle’ — refers to ‘Ob-la-di Ob-la-da’

‘Lady Madonna’ — refers to ‘I Am The Walrus’

‘What Goes On’ — refers to ‘Tell Me Why’

‘Carry That Weight’ — refers to ‘You Never Give Me Your Money’

Hmmm. . . some of these seem to be supported by evidence (hard evidence, as in formally documented), and others are not, at least not in this article:

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/every-song-by-the-beatles-that-refers-to-another-beatles-song/

In regard to the following quote from the article—"there is a reference in ‘Lady Madonna’ to ‘I Am The Walrus’ with the line “see how they run” which, itself, references ‘Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds’ with the lyric “see how they fly like Lucy in the sky”—I fail to see any true connection, simply a similarity in word choice. I also take issue with this quote: "On ‘Carry That Weight’ the group use the melody of ‘You Never Give Me Your Money’ to act as the bridge into the next part of the Abbey Road medley." Well, yes—that's just it: a bridge to the next element in the medley, not a decisive reference to a song.

Also, are the "She loves you"s at the end of All You Need Is Love lyrics per se? I always assumed they were an ad lib, almost along the lines of studio chatter. But I'm not a musician, so perhaps they so indeed qualify as lyrics.

I'd like to see some of these connections clarified.

Perhaps I should simply write to Far Out magazine, or comment on their site. But I just thought I'd throw this out there.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 08:37:51 PM by Normandie »
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Beatles songs that refer to other Beatles songs
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2021, 09:48:39 PM »

As you observed, Kathy, the author of that article stretched it a bit with some of those songs he listed.  But he made some good points especially with the fact that fans started to scrutinize the lyrics of the of the their songs not long after the release of Sgt. Pepper.  This continued with all albums released after that.

Paul wound up a hippopotamus on the cover of Magical Mystery Tour...

But during costume selection for that scene in the movie, we see that Paul almost wound up a mountain goat...

;D

I can stay till it's time to go

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 09:00:36 AM »

Yeah I agree I wouldn’t really be including songs that only had a lyric line that was like a previous song. Most likely just a similarity in wording.

Which pretty much leaves Glass Onion and Savoy Truffle that explicitly refer to other Beatle songs.

The She Loves You at the end of AYNIL is more like sampling than a reference.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 10:57:02 AM »

I equate the she loves you at the end of ADITL to the Band on the Run reference at the end of 1985, I think it was planned and part of the "lyrics"

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2021, 12:57:46 AM »

Yeah I agree I wouldn’t really be including songs that only had a lyric line that was like a previous song. Most likely just a similarity in wording.

Which pretty much leaves Glass Onion and Savoy Truffle that explicitly refer to other Beatle songs.

The She Loves You at the end of AYNIL is more like sampling than a reference.
But they should've written a song called Semalina Pilchards  ;D
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2021, 02:26:01 PM »

Another Far Out magazine article popped up on my phone screen.

This is a decent piece, in my opinion, but the headline—"The Beatles Song a 16-Year-Old Paul McCartney Wrote That Nearly Ruined Their Image"—is another stretch and not entirely reflective of the article's contents. It smacks of clickbait. Which I fell for.  ;)

(Most of you probably know this, but journalists do not write their own headlines. The copyeditor does. It's actually incredibly difficult to write one that is accurate, catchy, and short enough to fit the space constraints, all in a super-short time. So I try to not be too critical.)

I hadn't heard this 1960 demo version of "I'll Follow the Sun" before and really enjoyed it. I kinda wish they'd kept in the studio version those repeated "Tomorrow may rain"s you hear at the end.

Here's the URL: https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/the-beatles-song-a-16-year-old-paul-mccartney-wrote-that-nearly-ruined-their-image/

Last, I love this quote: "Lennon noted how stereotypical of McCartney’s writing the track was: “That’s Paul again. Can’t you tell? I mean, ‘Tomorrow may rain, so I’ll follow the sun.’" Reason No. 573 why I love John just a bit more than Paul.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2021, 12:19:48 AM »

Thanks Kathy  icon_good
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2021, 10:50:54 AM »

Last, I love this quote: "Lennon noted how stereotypical of McCartney’s writing the track was: “That’s Paul again. Can’t you tell? I mean, ‘Tomorrow may rain, so I’ll follow the sun.’" Reason No. 573 why I love John just a bit more than Paul.

so Kathy - is your little bit more love for John because of his higher level of cynicism ?  That quote you highlighted above is one of the things I DO love about Paul, his ever lasting optimism...and in the end I probably am a John guy if narrowed down to just one.

Steve

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2021, 02:38:15 PM »

so Kathy - is your little bit more love for John because of his higher level of cynicism ? 

Yes indeed. I own the fact that I have more than a touch of cynicism.  :)  I've always felt drawn more closely to John's (and George's) songs than to Paul's, even back when I was a new Beatles fan and couldn't tell who had (mainly) written each song.

That's not to disrespect Paul in any way; he's a phenomenally talented musician. I love all four of the Beatles. My preference for John is just a personal predilection based on what seems to be a similar worldview.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2021, 09:18:26 AM »

I hadn't heard this 1960 demo version of "I'll Follow the Sun" before and really enjoyed it. I kinda wish they'd kept in the studio version those repeated "Tomorrow may

Ugh, now I feel obtuse. I hadn't realized this was on the Anthology series, which I actually have on CD.

I think the extreme heat up here has addled my brain. The heat and drought are so bad people are actually stealing hay.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 09:22:03 AM by Normandie »

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2021, 09:24:36 AM »

Is it on Anthology? I know I’ve heard it but thought it was after that.

The early version sounds more music hall to me. I picture them strutting off stage shaking their boaters as they repeat the last phrase.  It sounds a fun track.  I prefer the Beatles for Sale more melancholy version but it’s interesting to hear it’s origin.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2021, 05:02:43 PM »

Is it on Anthology? I know I’ve heard it but thought it was after that.

Well, now I'm confused. I thought I saw a comment to that effect on YouTube, but now I can't find the comment (or my Anthology CDs, which are in the car), and none of the track listings for the Anthology CDs list it. I think I'd best just log off. . .

The early version sounds more music hall to me. I picture them strutting off stage shaking their boaters as they repeat the last phrase. 

That's a great visual.  :)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 05:58:11 PM by Normandie »

Page created in 0.735 seconds with 61 queries.