Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Defend your favorite "bad" Beatles songs  (Read 12912 times)

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
Defend your favorite "bad" Beatles songs
« on: February 19, 2009, 09:01:58 PM »

All right.  There are some Beatles songs out there that get a negative rap (you can guess which ones I mean), but I'm sure not everyone thinks they're bad.  (And really, even their not-so-great stuff is still pretty good.)  

Defend your favorite "bad" Beatles songs and let us know why you like them. 8)

Bobber

Re: Defend your favorite "bad" Beatles songs
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 09:11:56 PM »

A Day In The Life

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 12:54:23 AM »

I have always loved "Why Don't We Do it in the Road" because of Paul's awesome vocals (low, and then falsetto). I also love "Wild Honey Pie" ("honey piiiieeeee!"). I can't believe that people bash these two songs all the time.

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 06:01:59 AM »

Quote from: 1841
I have always loved "Why Don't We Do it in the Road" because of Paul's awesome vocals (low, and then falsetto).

I love this song because it's so unabashedly ridiculous and funny.  "Yeah, let's do something naughty in the road, who cares!"

I also like:

"Yellow Submarine" because it's really adorable.  It gets slapped with a "cheesy" label, but it's a great children's song.

"Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" because it's simply fun and high-spirited.  I also like hearing John (and George?) being weird and silly in the background.

"Tomorrow Never Knows"--well, I'm not sure if this is generally considered "bad", but I'm sure its strangeness turns a lot of listeners off.  I just love the droning, bizarre sound of it.

"The Long and Winding Road", but it's only "bad" if it's the version with Phil Spector's overdone production.  The stripped-down version is more breathtaking and beautiful, I think.

I'm sure there's more but I can't think of any at the moment.

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 05:59:31 PM »

I also have a very soft spot for "Why Don't We Do It In the Road."

Personally, I feel like "Old Brown Shoe" takes an unfair drubbing-- I adore that song. I love "Blue Jay Way," too, which always seems like an unpopular choice. And my favorite track from Beatles for Sale might just be "I Don't Want to Spoil the Party," which I think a lot of people just forget about!

One more: don't throw eggs, but I actually kind of like "Revolution #9" when I'm in the mood for it.

Living One

• A Beginning
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 10:40:07 PM »

I love "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da."  I've heard it get bashed many times, but I find it a fun song with a lot of strange sounds that is interesting to listen to.

There is only one song I cannot defend.  It is the only Beatles song I can't listen to all the way through; literally, the only one:
"The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill"

Ayyye!
...and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

Embrace Oneness

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 07:10:37 PM »

Jethro-- is it because Yoko is singing on it? :) I could totally understand an aversion to that. (Though that song has always been OK with  me.)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 07:27:06 PM »

'All Together Now'

Funnest song ever when your drunk off you ass.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 11:38:59 PM »

Honey Pie is great because it's such a dead-on pastiche of Scott Joplin-era ragtime numbers. It's really catchy, and Paul's vocals are great.

Michelle, although popular outside the Beatles community, gets a lot of flak from Beatles fans for being soppy or twee. I say it's a great little song. The bass line is excellent, and their harmonization is spot on. This song captures an American view of French music rather well for a British band!

Maggie Mae is just plain fun. I don't care what anyone else says.

OH and YESTERDAY! Another song popular amongst common folk but hated by Beatles fans. Well. I say it's popular for a reason. it's a really well-written song, and deceptively simple sounding. Another great vocal from Paul and his guitar playing is really pretty. I love the production on this one. Honestly if it wasnt so overplayed I'm sure Yesterday would be on more Beatles fans' top ten lists, It's suffered from hype backlash for sure.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 10:28:51 AM »

Quote from: 218
Honey Pie is great because it's such a dead-on pastiche of Scott Joplin-era ragtime numbers. It's really catchy, and Paul's vocals are great.

I love Paul's old-fashioned stuff:  "Honey Pie", "When I'm Sixty-Four", and also "You Gave Me the Answer" and "Baby's Request" from his Wings era.  ("Baby's Request" is more WWII in the way it sounds instead of 20's/30's, but it's still old-timey.)  I love old music and movies so these songs are right up my alley.  Anyway, people can hate these songs if they want, but they leave me in awe of Paul's musical prowess.

Quote from: 218
OH and YESTERDAY! Another song popular amongst common folk but hated by Beatles fans. Well. I say it's popular for a reason. it's a really well-written song, and deceptively simple sounding. Another great vocal from Paul and his guitar playing is really pretty. I love the production on this one. Honestly if it wasnt so overplayed I'm sure Yesterday would be on more Beatles fans' top ten lists, It's suffered from hype backlash for sure.

I agree.  IMO, there's no reason to hate "Yesterday" aside from the fact it's so overplayed.  It's a really beautiful song with excellent vocals and good lyrics, and it's poignant without being maudlin.

Anyway...

Most of the time, I actually like "Octopus' Garden."  It's far better than Ringo's other song "Don't Pass Me By" and makes for a fun kid's tune.  It's not a strong song by Beatle standards, but it's likeable to me.

I love "That Means A Lot" and am still disappointed it never made it into a Beatles album.  Supposedly it wasn't "good" enough but I've always loved the gorgeous harmonies and melody.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 08:33:49 PM »

Being for the Benefit of Mr Kite! I don`t like it much and I can`t defend it.  :-/

BlueMeanie

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 08:49:24 PM »

^ I think you got the wrong idea about this thread.  :-/

Living One

• A Beginning
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 09:01:41 PM »

Quote from: 1393
Being for the Benefit of Mr Kite! I don`t like it much and I can`t defend it.  :-/

Really?  That song is the peak in the middle of Sgt. Peppers IMO; I think it sounds really cool and kinda eerie.

...and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

Embrace Oneness

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 09:45:08 PM »

What shall I do? I got the wrong idea about the thread and I don`t get the coolness of BFTBOMK. For me it`s a bit of a mess and rather dull, but only for me! Maybe because I don`t like circus and this kind of music...

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 11:57:06 PM »

^  Jane, is there a Beatles song that you really enjoy that many others do not? :)

BlueMeanie

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2009, 03:20:28 AM »

Quote from: 1393
What shall I do? I got the wrong idea about the thread and I don`t get the coolness of BFTBOMK. For me it`s a bit of a mess and rather dull, but only for me! Maybe because I don`t like circus and this kind of music...

The thread says: 'Defend your favourite "bad" Beatles song'. Something you like, that most people don't.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2009, 05:53:54 AM »

Rocky Raccoon seems to get a lot of crap, but I LOVE it. Same with Ob la di and When I'm 64. I think Paul dipping into those other genres, even though a lot of people find it corny, is one of the reasons they are considered so ground breaking. Their music is so incredibly diverse. I even like Maxwell's Silver Hammer. A song about a serial killer. What's not to like? Paul was one clever fellow.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2009, 09:18:59 PM »

So, I see.
It could be Yellow Submarine. Some don`t like it too much. But for me it is a special song. Once when I was still at school my parents and I were going by ship from Britain across the North Sea and the Baltic Sea. The journey was fantastic and the ship was big, it had everything: restaurants, cafes, bars, saloons, cinema, discotheque. And one evening I stayed longer at a discotheque where some smart young people from different countries, I remember they were from Germany mostly, were dancing and having fun. The music was great too but when they suddenly played Yellow Submarine something unimaginable began, everybody went crazy, formed a circle and took hands while dancing. It was something. It was the song. Since then I love the song and it is for me one of the merriest that makes you happy.  :)

Pilzkopf

• A Beginning
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2009, 06:17:58 PM »

I think I'd probably hate Yellow Submarine if it was sung by any of the four except Ringo. It's a song that needs someone who can't quite cut it as a singer, because that's the only kind of voice that fits the song. And visualising his sad-sack face makes it an enjoyable experience.

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2009, 08:52:01 PM »

revolution 9.absolutely excellent if you ask me....this,my friends,is what insanity sounds like.the most sinister beatle song going-and also the most interesting.it always gets slagged off.the white album would not be the same without it!!
martha my dear also-great tune,although i am not sure this one gets a kicking?i love this one-;all odd time signatures.top tune!!
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 86 queries.