Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: "TWA" or "A Doll's House" ???  (Read 5237 times)

Chris

• A Beginning
    • My songs and stuff
Re: "TWA" or "A Doll's House" ???
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2007, 06:29:21 PM »

I'm impressed he had an image right there and ready for posting! Now that's being prepared.  ;D
Here's my book. It's funny! I promise.<br />Amazon
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

BlueMeanie

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2007, 06:48:46 PM »

Quote from: 911
I'm impressed he had an image right there and ready for posting! Now that's being prepared.  ;D

I am president of the Copenhagen branch of the George Hamilton non-fan club! ;D

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2007, 07:44:29 PM »

Quote from: 483

I am president of the Copenhagen branch of the George Hamilton non-fan club! ;D

I had no idea you were in Scandanavia. Say hello to Abba for me..no wait, that's Stockholm.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2007, 07:54:13 PM »

Quote from: 829

I had no idea you were in Scandanavia. Say hello to Abba for me..no wait, that's Stockholm.

The Danes are famous for, er...Aqua! :(

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2007, 08:03:44 PM »

Quote from: 483

The Danes are famous for, er...Aqua! :(

..and Hamlet. (and dont get technical w/ me..I KNOW he's a Shakespeare fiction LOL)

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2007, 08:04:44 PM »

god I'm such a wise aRSe

;D

BlueMeanie

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2007, 08:38:23 PM »

Quote from: 829
god I'm such a wise aRSe

;D

You said it!  ;D

Sea of Time

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2008, 11:34:10 PM »

I was really proud of Paul for that White Album quote too. I'd say it's my favorite thing I've heard him say about the Beatles and that I pretty much agree with it. I love 97% of the White Album. All I'd do differently is drop Honey Pie, swap Savoy Truffel for Not Guilty and swap the White Album version of Revolution for the single one. Apart from that I think it's just fine the way it is.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2023, 12:08:51 AM »

Throwing out a few thoughts on an old post I found:

Quote from:  link=topic=6906.msg157130#msg157130 date=1194977188
The original title for The White Album was going to be "A Doll's House", named after the famous Norwegian playwright Henrik Ibsen's 1879 masterpiece.

I wonder why they were considering "A Doll's House"? I remember reading that (and Hedda Gabler) in high school, and I don't see the connection to the songs on this album. Perhaps it's just momentarily eluding me. Or maybe I just don't get it.  ;)

Apparently, the boys decided against such a stilted literary title and went w/ the more mundane "The Beatles"--which became nicknamed "TWA" (and eventually stuck).

I note that "TWA" appears several times in this thread. I've never seen that before in my 35 years as a Beatles fan.

Personally, I prefer the original concept of "ADH", which gives rise to a million cover-art possibilities, which alas, is purely academic now.

I must say I agree with this 16-year-old opinion.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2023, 02:31:57 AM »

I must say I agree with this 16-year-old opinion.

I think by going with the white album approach they swam against the tide of psychedelia in the starkest way possible. And it’s still iconic in its simplicity. An elaborate Dolls House cover would have looked cool but I wonder if it would have looked a bit generic for it’s time now.

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2023, 10:16:50 AM »

I think one of the reasons thy didn't use this title is because another group had just used the idea. Their record was released in July 1968.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2023, 04:36:54 PM »

I think by going with the white album approach they swam against the tide of psychedelia in the starkest way possible.

That's a great point. I was thinking last night, too, that the cover provides a sharp contrast to the music on the album, which is so . . . intense, and varied. I've never given much thought to album covers before and how the decision about a cover is made, that is, what factors affect it. I don't recall reading anything about particular covers other than the Yesterday and Today "butcher" cover. I'd like to learn more.

I think one of the reasons thy didn't use this title is because another group had just used the idea. Their record was released in July 1968.

I read that, too, zipp. I hadn't realized the records were released so closely to one another. Thanks for posting the image. I love that cover.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2023, 08:36:39 PM »

That's a great point. I was thinking last night, too, that the cover provides a sharp contrast to the music on the album, which is so . . . intense, and varied. I've never given much thought to album covers before and how the decision about a cover is made, that is, what factors affect it. I don't recall reading anything about particular covers other than the Yesterday and Today "butcher" cover. I'd like to learn more.

There’s undoubtedly books just on this.  ;D

They did put a lot more thought into their covers than most bands of the time. They always seemed to care about the presentation and had the status to not get fobbed off with some hurried thing by the record company. Paul had a go at Brian Wilson once saying the Beach Boys needed to get better covers. Considering Pet Sounds just had a rather lame photo of the band with barn animals I get his point. 

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2023, 01:12:01 AM »

There’s undoubtedly books just on this.  ;D

I'm almost afraid to look.  ;)  I'm on a strict self-imposed book-buying moratorium until I get caught up on my current reading.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2023, 04:02:38 AM »

Two of my favorite album covers that I'd like to learn more about, especially Marillion's ("A penny for your thoughts, my dear"):

« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 04:07:00 AM by Normandie »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2023, 07:55:25 PM »

They did put a lot more thought into their covers than most bands of the time. They always seemed to care about the presentation and had the status to not get fobbed off with some hurried thing by the record company. Paul had a go at Brian Wilson once saying the Beach Boys needed to get better covers. Considering Pet Sounds just had a rather lame photo of the band with barn animals I get his point. 

Moog, 1966 was a very special year for music, bands and album covers.  A teenager at the time, I thought the Pet Sounds album cover was pretty good.  The Beach Boys were moving away from the "Surf Sound" and the album cover certainly emphasized that as did the name of the album.

The album cover photoshoot was done at the "petting paddock" of the San Diego Zoo's children's park in May 1966.  No doubt that's how the name for the album came to be.

Here's a good article on the subject which shows many of the pictures from that photoshoot:  The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds - Album Cover Location - San Diego Zoo, California - May, 1966

In turn, Paul McCartney has said that Pet Sounds insipired the writing of Sgt. Peppers.
I can stay till it's time to go
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 1.892 seconds with 68 queries.