Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Bettye LaVette covers The Beatles, McCartney, Starr, etc.  (Read 1452 times)

LennonStarrFan

• A Beginning
Bettye LaVette covers The Beatles, McCartney, Starr, etc.
« on: May 17, 2010, 07:19:56 PM »

First Listen: Bettye LaVette, 'Interpretations: The British Rock Songbook'

LaVette's voice is so authoritative, in fact, that she's unafraid to reinvent songs that might have otherwise seemed untouchable. It's not that The Moody Blues' "Knights in White Satin," Elton John's "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me," Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" and Paul McCartney's "Maybe I'm Amazed" are so unimpeachable that they can't possibly be approached by other singers; it's that they're so often instantly familiar in earlier incarnations. They can't be covered credibly and made fresh by just anybody. But Bettye LaVette is exactly the sort of singer to pull it off, as she does on the new, self-explanatorily titled Interpretations: The British Rock Songbook. A fearless iconoclast, she does these and other songs justice by injecting them with her own warmly brash personality; by burrowing into them and really inhabiting them.

You can listen to the songs here: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=126831077

"John was the best. I loved John. He was fine singer, a fine musician and he was a fine friend." -Ringo
β€œHe's (Ringo) every bloody bit as warm, unassuming, funny, and kind as he seems. He was quite simply the heart of the Beatles.” – John

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 36 queries.