Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Singles - Free As A Bird / Christmas Time (Is Here Again)  (Read 3091 times)

Bobber

Singles - Free As A Bird / Christmas Time (Is Here Again)
« on: April 27, 2010, 07:10:30 AM »

It was an official single of a new song.  ;D

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
Re: Singles - Free As A Bird / Christmas Time (Is Here Again)
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 11:40:50 AM »

Go you! I did ponder this.

I remember when this was released. Lots of media hype and I sat by my radio at the allotted time, full of anticipation. After it finished there was a seconds silence before the announcer said in stunned suprise "is that it?" I spent many a minute defending it from my mocking friends (none particularly liked The Beatles) but I knew in my heart they were right. It was (Just Like) Starting Over all over again.  

Really this single is of interest to Beatle fans only. I guess they did a good job with a bad lot. They couldn't use a McCartney vocal (I'm not sure George would have been happy to be a sideman for the ex Wings frontman and the world would have dismissed it as just another Macca song) so they're stuck with Lennon's weedy vocal. And the song ain't all that anyway. Shame. But no band is going to come back 40 years on and shake the world.

But it is a pleasant enough listen, and I guess served its purpose as an ad for the Anthologies. Just not a song or performance that was going to set the world on fire. Something more electric (this was the days of Brit Pop), rather than a circa 1969 piano ballad, might have fared better. I don't think I've ever heard it on the radio since.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 04:40:39 PM by Kevin »
don't follow leaders

I_Will

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Doesn't the blood rush to your stomach?"
    • My Beatles Tumblr!
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 01:48:21 PM »

As far as the "new" Anthology songs go, I much prefer Real Love, even though the other members didn't get as much input on it.

The name's Emily :)

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 03:41:38 PM »

Kind of a boring song, but I do love the video.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 12:17:37 AM »

I also remember waiting in anticipation wondering if they could pull off yet another miracle, but it wasnt meant to be. I really do like the song, but I totally understand why the public didnt. It sounded like any other post 66' Beatle filler tune. The sad thing is, 'Free As A Bird' is a thousand times better than 'Real Love'. 'Real Love' sucked horribly.

FAAB's video did kick ass though.

stevie

• Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 08:17:39 AM »

Pretty good song. George's solo is cool. The sound of John's demo vocal sort of brings it down - the vocal on Real Lve is much clearer but that song's tune is weaker.

When I visited the Beatles story museum in Liverpool in 1997, this song was playing. it was very emotional for me at the time and i think the song will always make us remember the Anthology years and how wonderful it was.

freakchic9

• A Thousand Pages
  • =D
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 10:44:09 PM »

I really like Free as a Bird. I think it's better than Real Love. I love the bridge in Free as a Bird with Paul singing it.

8)
<|\
 |
 ^

Too cool, yah?

Bobber

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 07:55:24 AM »

I kinda attach to Kevins story. In a way it was an embarrassment to hear the Beatles play muzak. Well, that's what it is to my ears. Never a sparkle of the energy they used to have in the sixties. This song has nothing that makes it The Beatles for me.

emmi_luvs_beatles

• A Thousand Pages
  • I'm an Expert.
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 03:09:40 PM »

Honestly, I do like Free As A Bird. I think that John's vocal is pretty weak, but for having a half finished song and adding on to it years later, they did alright.

Bobber

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 06:14:33 PM »

Production wise it is a great effort. But the song is just not good enough imho.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 12:54:41 AM »

No its not. From all the build up that was going on at the time,,,I was hoping for much, much more.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 03:33:36 AM »

I also eagerly awaited Free As A Bird.  It's nice that they had an old John Lennon demo tape to work with in the studio and yes, Bobber, it was a great production effort.  But to me, it's a good music video.  I don't care much for the song played alone.
I can stay till it's time to go

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 08:02:35 PM »

I like this song a lot. It's a great laid back tune and it's thrill to hear John, Paul and George singing in harmony again. If The Beatles, with all four members living, would've continued for three more decades that they did, I can really imagine them sounding something like this in the mid/late 90s. It doesn't sound forced to me at all.

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 72 queries.