Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Now and Then  (Read 3427 times)

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Now and Then
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2023, 12:01:53 AM »

Never understood why Please Please Me isn't on that.

Neither can I.

But it's on the new red album and the 2023 mix sounds pretty good to me.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2023, 12:23:09 AM »

Yeah it seems pretty pedantic. As far as I understand it there were two major singles charts in the UK at the time. Please Please me got No1 on one but No 2 on the other. And as the other went on to be the only single chart some people claim it wasn’t really number one.

It’s an academic argument. I don’t see why the Beatles organisation has to subscribe to it. It was a number one hit at the time is all that matters to my way of thinking.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2023, 02:39:41 PM »

The final version of Now and Then has amazed me.  I wasn't that impressed by the demos or user-generated AI versions previously posted to You Tube.

But this is deeply affecting.   :'(
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2023, 01:13:10 AM »

The final version of Now and Then has amazed me.  I wasn't that impressed by the demos or user-generated AI versions previously posted to You Tube.

But this is deeply affecting.   :'(

Hey Loco. Good to hear from you. It is affecting isn’t it. I like it more each time I play it.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2023, 01:37:57 AM »

Hey Loco. Good to hear from you. It is affecting isn’t it. I like it more each time I play it.

It's a beautiful song.

It reminds me of "Love" from Working Class hero album.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2023, 10:23:05 PM »

I've listened to this a few times, it's very good but I'm not sure it's a real orchestra. Maybe Pro-tools ?

https://youtu.be/e_drjk_dG_0?si=oDIdSfiMqqV8VUN8
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2023, 10:50:03 PM »

I've listened to this a few times, it's very good but I'm not sure it's a real orchestra. Maybe Pro-tools ?

That's very pretty! Looks like Epic Orchestra is a software package. . .?  https://www.vsl.info/en/instruments/epic-orchestra/epic-orchestra-2

« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 10:51:50 PM by Normandie »

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2023, 10:10:28 PM »

That's very pretty! Looks like Epic Orchestra is a software package. . .?  https://www.vsl.info/en/instruments/epic-orchestra/epic-orchestra-2

"Nothing is real...."
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2023, 08:26:31 AM »

For the first time I heard Now and Then played randomly on a radio station. Sounds good in that context.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2023, 04:59:43 PM »

One verse from Now and Then particularly stands out for me:  "It's all because of you."

Since the song was written "for Paul," I tend to believe that John was attributing the Beatles success to Paul.  I wonder if John really felt this way.
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2023, 04:12:33 AM »

One verse from Now and Then particularly stands out for me:  "It's all because of you."

Since the song was written "for Paul," I tend to believe that John was attributing the Beatles success to Paul.  I wonder if John really felt this way.

Good to see you back, Loco!

I personally don't see John ascribing the Beatles' success to Paul, at least not in such an extreme way (i.e., "all"). But that's just my opinion. I would be curious to know who and what he is referencing. I would guess—and it's just a guess—he may have been referring to Yoko or Julian. But as to what the referent for "it" is, I'm not at all sure.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2023, 11:07:16 PM »

Hi Loco  ;D

I've never heard this song was written "for Paul" I imagined it was another homage to Yoko.

Have you read that somewhere ?
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2023, 06:04:59 AM »

There was a story going around that the cassette had “For Paul” written on it and so this then became “John wrote this song for Paul”.

Peter Jackson and I think also Sean Lennon have debunked it though. If the notation For Paul was on anything it was on the cassette Yoko gave Paul before the original Anthology work and would have been written by Yoko or one of her assistants as in literally here’s the Lennon demos for Paul.

As far as I’ve heard there’s no indication or record of John’s intention when writing the song.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2023, 09:47:58 PM »

There was a story going around that the cassette had “For Paul” written on it and so this then became “John wrote this song for Paul”.

Peter Jackson and I think also Sean Lennon have debunked it though. If the notation For Paul was on anything it was on the cassette Yoko gave Paul before the original Anthology work and would have been written by Yoko or one of her assistants as in literally here’s the Lennon demos for Paul.

As far as I’ve heard there’s no indication or record of John’s intention when writing the song.

I hadn't heard about that.
But your scenario sounds correct. I can't imagine John writing "It's all because of you" for Paul. I'm 99.999999999% sure it's about Yuko.
The guy loved her so much, and as proved on the lost weekend couldn't be happy without her.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2023, 10:47:29 PM »

I hadn't heard about that.
But your scenario sounds correct. I can't imagine John writing "It's all because of you" for Paul. I'm 99.999999999% sure it's about Yuko.
The guy loved her so much, and as proved on the lost weekend couldn't be happy without her.

That would seem the most logical. But he might have also meant his mum. Or Mimi. Or the bloke who delivered a really good macrobiotic pizza two nights before. That’s the beauty of it being ambiguous. At least he didn’t put Yokos name in it.  Imagine Paul having to harmonise to that. ha2ha
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Page created in 0.779 seconds with 67 queries.