Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: I'll Cry Instead  (Read 26840 times)

danielcelano

• A Beginning
I'll Cry Instead
« on: May 08, 2010, 11:58:05 PM »

I thought the Beatles recorded an extra verse called verse 4 on I'll Cry Instead since this song made its first appearance on the USA Hard Day's Night album.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 11:03:38 PM by danielcelano »
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

danielcelano

• A Beginning
Re: I'll Cry Instead
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 08:02:54 PM »

Can you guys tell me what the Beatles recorded on I'll Cry Instead?

Bobber

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 08:39:50 PM »

I'm not sure what you mean.

The_Taxman

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 10:50:20 PM »

Alright, so as far as I know they recorded Paul McCartney on bass, George Harrison on lead guitar, Richard Starkey a.k.a. Ringo Starr on drums/percussion, and John Lennon on rhythm guitar as well as vocals pertaining to the following lyrics:

I've got every reason on earth to be mad, 'cause I've just
Lost the only girl I had. If I could get my way, I'd get
Myself locked up today, but I can't so I cry instead.
I've got a chip on my shoulder that's bigger than my feet, I
Can't talk to people that I meet. If I could see you now,
I'd try to make you sad somehow, but I can't so I cry instead.
Don't want to cry when there's people there, I get shy when
They start to stare, I'm gonna hide myself away, ay hay;
But I'll come back again someday.
And when I do you'd better hide all the girls, I'm gonna
Break their hearts all 'round the world. Yes, I'm gonna
Break them in two, and show you what your loving man can
Do, until then I'll cry instead.
Don't want to cry when there's people there, I get shy when
They start to stare, I'm gonna hide myself away, ay hay;
But I'll come back again someday.
And when I do you'd better hide all the girls, 'cause I'm gonna
Break their hearts all 'round the world. Yes, I'm gonna
Break them in two, and show you what your loving man can
Do, until then I'll cry instead.

It was put on their 1964 album A Hard Day's Night. ::)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 12:47:02 AM »

I still dont know what you want here. Are you asking if anybody else contributed or played other instruments on the song? If so, the answer is no.

danielcelano

• A Beginning
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 01:58:18 AM »

I think so. Look what I found on Mark Lewishon's Beatles Recording Sessions.

Monday 1 June 1964. Studio Two. 2:30-5:30 pm. Recording: "Matchbox"(takes 1-5); I´ll Cry Instead (Section A) (takes 1-6); I´ll cry Instead (Section B) (takes 7-8); Slow Down (takes 1-6). Studio Two: 7:00-10:00 pm. Recording: I´ll Be Back (takes 1-16). Producer: George Martin, Engineer: Norman Smith, 2nd Engineer: Ken Scott.

(....) Next Recording was "I´ll Cry Instead", for the LP A Hard Day´s Night. This was taped in two parts -Section A and Section B- for editing together at a later date. Six takes of A and two of B saw the song to satisfactory completion. The Beatles then set about the taping of "Slow Down", the Larry Williams rocker from 1958. (...)

Thursday 4 June 1964. Studio Two: 2:30-7:00 pm (...) Recording: ... I´ll cry Instead Section A from take 6, I´ll Cry Instead Section B
from take 8...

Monday 22 June 1964. Studio Two (control room only) 2:30 - 5:30 pm. Stereo mixing: Can´t Buy Me Love (from take 4), .... I´cry Instead Section A from take 6; I´ll Cry Instead Section B from take 8. Editing I´ll Cry Instead (of stereo remixes of takes 6 and 8)

Friday 10 July 1964: LP release: A Hard Day´s Night. Parlophone PMC 1230 (mono) PCS 3058 (stereo)

What do you think?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 02:38:48 AM by danielcelano »

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 03:57:21 AM »

I think your making to much of it. Section A (or the first 6 takes) was probably the rhythm section or something while Section B (the last takes) were probably the vocals and chorus. It could mean anything. Maybe they broke for lunch in the middle of the recording or something. No guest musicians were recorded on the song.

Ahme

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 09:17:24 AM »

There's different versions of the song. I think on the American album there's a extra verse.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 06:26:24 PM »

I think I finally get it. I think Daniels looking for what the specific sections were at the time (A and B) and I have no idea. Good luck with the search though.

danielcelano

• A Beginning
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 11:57:28 PM »

I guess an extra verse is from one of the takes the Beatles recorded since this song was first released on A Hard Day's Night USA album. Right, guys?

danielcelano

• A Beginning
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 01:44:23 PM »

I guess an extra verse is from one of the takes the Beatles recorded since this song was first released on A Hard Day's Night USA album. Right, Ahme?

There's different versions of the song. I think on the American album there's a extra verse.

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 05:43:28 PM »

Can you guys tell me what the Beatles recorded on I'll Cry Instead?

I answered this same question from the same poster on a different forum.
Here goes again ....

It was recorded in two sections.
The first version was a run-through of a complete version of the song using the structure ...
verse, verse, bridge, verse, end.

They got a useable take of this version (take 6) but decided it was too short, so recorded another section (bridge + verse) later the same day (1 June 1964) with the intention of editing the two parts together to create a longer finished song.

The UK version of the song (1min 49secs) just inserts the 2nd part towards the end of the first.
But for some reason another, even longer (2min 9 secs) mix was made, where the first verse from one of the earlier takes of the first section (takes 1-5) was repeated before the inserted section. This was the one that ended up on the United Artists soundtrack LP, the Capitol single, and the mono Something New LP. I think it was also used on the Canadian 45.

The shorter one was used in the UK (both mono and stereo) and on the stereo Something New LP in the States.

I'm not sure if the 2:09 version appeared anywhere other than US/Canada.

Bobber

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 07:47:02 AM »

I answered this same question from the same poster on a different forum.

Is this maybe the only forum where people expect real answers? ha2ha  Thanks for answering anyway.

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 08:38:52 AM »

Is this maybe the only forum where people expect real answers? ha2ha  Thanks for answering anyway.

:)

In one of my posts to this same question on a different board, I posed a couple of questions myself but never got an answer, so maybe you're right.
Let's see if I get a response here    ;)

Does the longer version appear anywhere outside the US/Canada? Is it on the Mexican LP The Beatles Vol 4, for example?

Why wasn't the long version included on the UK Rarities album, since it was indeed a rarity (it has still never been officially released in the UK).

Did Capitol not object to United Artists using I'll Cry Instead on the Hard Days Night soundtrack album even though the song wasn't part of the film soundtrack? I know it was originally meant to be in the film and was dropped in favour of CBML, but surely Capitol would have kicked up a fuss about United Artists getting a song they weren't entitled to?!?

I know the US United Artists Hard Days Night soundtrack LP mis-spelled the song's name, calling it I Cry Instead. And Tell Me Why appears on some labels as Tell Me Who. Could United Artists not afford to employ a decent proof reader?!?  ;)

Incidentally, there's more info about I'll Cry Instead here ....
http://www.beatlesebooks.com/ill-cry-instead

« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 09:16:38 AM by peterbell1 »

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 09:13:56 AM »

And I didn't ask the most obvious question ......

WHY was the longer mono mix used by Capitol in the US?
Was it just that someone at Abbey Road sent them the wrong version of the tape?

If that's the case then I suppose it explains why that longer US mono version didn't end up on the UK Rarities LP - they didn't include it because it is a mistake rather than a true "rarity".

Bobber

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 09:32:44 AM »

And I didn't ask the most obvious question ......

WHY was the longer mono mix used by Capitol in the US?
Was it just that someone at Abbey Road sent them the wrong version of the tape?

If that's the case then I suppose it explains why that longer US mono version didn't end up on the UK Rarities LP - they didn't include it because it is a mistake rather than a true "rarity".

A theory not backed up by any proof. But the albums in the US were already a few songs shorter than in the UK/Europe. Maybe it didn't matter to use the shorter version of the song in the UK, but to give the Americans any value for money, they might have got 20 seconds extra.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 09:51:29 AM »

It raises an interesting point. I understand how Capitol could make their dummy stereo mixes and add reverb etc to EMI masters. But how did they get hold of the various takes to to do make these extended mixes. Did EMI send them a boxful to choose from? Was it part of the deal that Capitol got hold of everything?
don't follow leaders

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 10:58:06 AM »

It raises an interesting point. I understand how Capitol could make their dummy stereo mixes and add reverb etc to EMI masters. But how did they get hold of the various takes to to do make these extended mixes. Did EMI send them a boxful to choose from? Was it part of the deal that Capitol got hold of everything?

Yeah - it's not Just I'll Cry Instead where there's differences. There's the extra intro bit on the US version of I'm Looking Through You and the extra trumpet ending that appeared on the US promo single of Penny Lane (which was later amended for the commercial release).
I don't think Capitol did their own mixes from 4-track master tapes, did they? So I assume they were sent mixed masters from Abbey Road which contained these "errors" and they were perhaps instructed what to do to get the masters into shape for the final album pressing?

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 02:57:43 PM »

^ But why were (at least) two takes of ICI sent to America? It seems a strange thing to do.
don't follow leaders

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2010, 03:34:05 PM »

^ But why were (at least) two takes of ICI sent to America? It seems a strange thing to do.

I assume that Capitol would have been sent two master tapes of every song by EMI/Parlophone in the UK - stereo and mono versions.
In the case of I'll Cry Instead I'm thinking that they were sent the "wrong" copy of the mono mix (assuming, that is, that they made that longer (2:09) version as an experiment but decided against using it - which is why it doesn't appear anywhere on a UK release, stereo or mono.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 0.621 seconds with 77 queries.