Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: John meets Paul  (Read 7316 times)

Spiritinthesky

• One And One Is Two
    • This Day
John meets Paul
« on: July 06, 2010, 06:31:50 AM »

July 6th 1957, John Lennon and Paul McCartney met for the first time at The Woolton Church Parish Fete where The Quarry Men were appearing. As The Quarry Men were setting up for their evening performance, McCartney eager to impress Lennon picked up a guitar and played ‘Twenty Flight Rock’ (Eddie Cochran) and ‘Be-Bop-A-Lula’ (Gene Vincent). Lennon was impressed, and even more so when McCartney showed Lennon and Eric Griffiths how to tune their guitars, something they'd been paying someone else to do for them.

From http://www.thisdayinmusic.com

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
Re: John meets Paul
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 04:33:46 PM »

Did they talk or play together the next day?

How long before they started their relationship?
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

Bobber

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 05:05:39 PM »

Funny that that is not really known, is it? Diaries mention a Quarrymen performance in the Cavern in August, but without Paul. Pauls debut comes not earlier than October. This is what Murashev says:

1957 Oct 18
Friday    Evening: Performance of the Quarrymen in a ball held by the Conservative Club, at the New Clubmoor Hall, Broadway, Liverpool. Paul's debut. Paul plays for John a couple of tunes he had composed, one of them being `I Lost My Little Girl'.

Bobber

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 05:12:18 PM »

"It's incredible to realise how history brushed by us that day in 1957," said Rod Davis, The Quarrymen's banjo player back then.

"Lennon meets McCartney and I didn't notice. Maybe I was having a pee. It's hard to imagine it could have happened without Ivan. Maybe John and Paul would have gone on to be musicians. But it's more likely they would have made it into separate bands .

"It's possible they'd never have met... and The Beatles would never have been, without Ivan."

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 05:36:47 PM »

I remember how affectionately Paul has spoken of Ivan. I don't know if they really were great friends, or if Paul just appreciated that Ivan had introduced him to John.

Ivan sadly died of Parkinson's Disease. It is a terrible way to die. It affected Paul enough for him to write a poem to Ivan.
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

Bobber

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 07:51:24 AM »

This is interesting:

http://www.beatleswiki.com/wiki/index.php/Paul_McCartney_in_Audience_Watching_The_Quarrymen!

It looks as tho Paul was presented at the Quarrymen's gig on June 22nd, 1957.

Bobber

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 06:51:10 PM »

ha2ha  How silly of me to think that this would be more interesting than comparing Sgt Pepper to Pet Sounds! ha2ha

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 09:27:04 PM »

There's a pretty cool book about this occasion, The Day John Met Paul: http://www.dayjohnmetpaul.com/
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Bobber

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 08:28:56 AM »

There's a pretty cool book about this occasion, The Day John Met Paul: http://www.dayjohnmetpaul.com/

The thing is that this piece of history might all be wrong. It's all based on the idea that John and Paul first met on July 9th, 1957.
This picture was taken on June 22nd, 1957, during the Quarrymens concert in Rosebery Street.

That boy with the glasses on the right... Is that or is that not Paul McCartney? It sure looks like him. If it's Paul, it means that the history of the Lennon-McCartney partnership might begin a few weeks earlier. More on this over here: http://www.beatleswiki.com/wiki/index.php/Paul_McCartney_in_Audience_Watching_The_Quarrymen!

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 02:49:54 PM »

Yeah, that definitely does look like Paul to me.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 06:00:31 PM »

Click...

"...Mr. Lewisohn says someone needs to do a proper biography of the Beatles before it's too late, because the Beatles story has never been told properly. Why? 'The standard of research is poor,' Lewisohn said.

For example, Mr. Lewisohn pointed out that no one has the correct date of when Paul met John at the Woolton church fete. So he researched this in a London library by looking in a local paper that was published in Southern Liverpool. Mark couldn't find anything about the church fete on the given date in published Beatles' biographies, so he started looking at other dates, and finally found an article published about the Woolton church fete which not only included the information about The Quarrymen having played, but also information about John Lennon, and also included some of the songs that were played at the fete. No one had done this sort of research before..."

Xosé

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 06:54:34 PM »

It looks like Paul to me too.  I've seen this picture several times on The Savage Young Beatles website but never concentrated on who was watching in the audience...

http://www.beatlesource.com/savage/1950s/57.06.22%20rosebery%20st/57.06.22rosebery.html

Thank you, Cor.
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 06:55:56 PM »

Click...

"...Mr. Lewisohn says someone needs to do a proper biography of the Beatles before it's too late, because the Beatles story has never been told properly. Why? 'The standard of research is poor,' Lewisohn said.

For example, Mr. Lewisohn pointed out that no one has the correct date of when Paul met John at the Woolton church fete. So he researched this in a London library by looking in a local paper that was published in Southern Liverpool. Mark couldn't find anything about the church fete on the given date in published Beatles' biographies, so he started looking at other dates, and finally found an article published about the Woolton church fete which not only included the information about The Quarrymen having played, but also information about John Lennon, and also included some of the songs that were played at the fete. No one had done this sort of research before..."

Xosé

Thanks, Xosé.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2013, 06:09:09 AM »

John Lennon Meets Paul McCartney July 6th 1957

John meets Paul, he brings George

Bobber

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 06:07:31 PM »

I asked Bill Harry about the above picture today. His reply:

It's not Paul, Cor. Paul saw John for the very first time at the village fete. It's interesting how so many people have tried to suggest things that never happened - such as Brian Epstein going to the Cavern months earlier than the date I arranged it for him - plus similar claims which have proven to be false - like the claim that John painted murals in the Jacaranda with Stuart. he didn't it was Stu, Rod Murray and a little help from Rod Jones. The Beatles story has so many myths - I've put paid to a number of them, proving that there was no air raid when John was born and that they didn't know anything about the 'Wild One' film as it was banned in Britain for 14 years, first screening in London in 1968.
A couple of other people have referred to this particular photo in the past and asked if it was Paul. There is a similarity, which is why people ask.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 07:06:35 PM by Bobber »

stevie

• Getting Better
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2014, 01:38:18 AM »

Maybe it's the young William Campbell/Billy Shears?

;sorry ;yes

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2014, 01:42:52 AM »

;D

Page created in 0.454 seconds with 70 queries.