Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: The Beatles - The Worst off  (Read 25745 times)

nimrod

Re: The Beatles - The Worst off
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2013, 10:22:12 PM »

Its interesting to see this but in all truth I dont think Im surprised at any of the tracks selected, (with the possible exception of Across The Universe and long & Winding Road) some are chosen over again (Mr Moonlight & You Know My Name) and most of the tracks mentioned are weaker songs.

Maybe when a few more have posted we could see which are the most popular worst ones 

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2013, 11:14:17 PM »

...some are chosen over again (Mr Moonlight & You Know My Name) and most of the tracks mentioned are weaker songs.

And the night you don't come my way
I pray and pray more each day
because we love you
Mr. Moonlight!!!
I can stay till it's time to go

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2013, 12:01:01 AM »

No way! Two of my favourite vocal performances from John and respectively, Paul. Is this a case of you preferring the originals, Todd?

I think its more of a case of just not liking the songs regardless of who sings them. I do admit to liking Smokey's original more so then the Beatles, but I dont really like any version of Kansas City that I can think of.

Neither are horrible, but they rank up there with my least favorites from the lads.

nimrod

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2013, 01:45:25 AM »

I think its more of a case of just not liking the songs regardless of who sings them. I do admit to liking Smokey's original more so then the Beatles, but I dont really like any version of Kansas City that I can think of.

Neither are horrible, but they rank up there with my least favorites from the lads.

Im a fan of Smokey, he has a great voice, but imo John sings it better, I just prefer the Beatles version, its more sort of...menacing and a bit more passionate. Its one of those songs they covered that sounds like its a Beatle song.

david bigcheeseplant

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2013, 06:50:41 AM »

I must admit I don't like the following, never liked them when I first heard them and still don't warm to them now

Honey Don't
Everybody wants to be my baby
Blackbird
Get Back
Hello Goodbye
Fool on the Hill
Goodnight
Cant buy me love

But I do like some of the others that have been rejected by others

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2013, 11:23:44 AM »

I don't care much for Kansas City, but Hey-Hey-Hey-Hey is where it's at - some of the most energetic and rollicking rock 'n' roll the band ever recorded. And Paul might have just outdone his idol, Little Richard, vocally. But I love the latter's version as well.

Im a fan of Smokey, he has a great voice, but imo John sings it better, I just prefer the Beatles version, its more sort of...menacing and a bit more passionate. Its one of those songs they covered that sounds like its a Beatle song.

I fully agree with this. The "I love you and all I want you to do/Is just hold me, hold me, hold me, hold me" part contains some of my all-time favourite Lennon vocals.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2013, 04:07:15 PM »

Interesting that there should be so many votes for songs from the White Album.
Individually, I wouldn't put 'Bungalow Bill', 'Rocky', 'Honey Pie', 'Blackbird', 'Piggies', 'Goodnight' etc. as particular favourites, but all together they're virtually faultless.
The same thing goes for side two of Abbey Road.

Whisper it quietly but, like david bigcheeseplant (good name!), I'll always plump for 'Don't Let Me Down' over 'Get Back' and rarely, if ever, play the A-side.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2013, 06:18:24 PM »

Interesting that there should be so many votes for songs from the White Album.
Individually, I wouldn't put 'Bungalow Bill', 'Rocky', 'Honey Pie', 'Blackbird', 'Piggies', 'Goodnight' etc. as particular favourites, but all together they're virtually faultless.
The same thing goes for side two of Abbey Road.

Whisper it quietly but, like david bigcheeseplant (good name!), I'll always plump for 'Don't Let Me Down' over 'Get Back' and rarely, if ever, play the A-side.

"While My Guitar Gently Weeps" and "Get Back" almost made my list. If we had to name 5 more tunes, they surely would have.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2013, 06:49:23 PM »

Most of the songs I have on my list I listen to when playing an album and I don't necessarily dislike them with a couple of exceptions. I just listed the "worst"! The Beatles worst are quite OK/good in my opinion.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2013, 08:40:48 PM »

"While My Guitar Gently Weeps" and "Get Back" almost made my list. If we had to name 5 more tunes, they surely would have.

While Get Back is overrated by most I continue to be amazed at your stance on Weeps.  Refresh my memory on why?  Is it because of Clapton's inclusion?  Hey wait a minute, Get Back has Billy Preston on it, you are a purist...now I get it, four lads or nothing  ;D

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2013, 09:44:11 PM »

...now I get it, four lads or nothing  ;D

Here it was just one...

Beatles - I'm Looking Through You (False Start) - From U.S. Version of Rubber Soul
I can stay till it's time to go

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2013, 12:26:20 PM »

While Get Back is overrated by most I continue to be amazed at your stance on Weeps.  Refresh my memory on why?  Is it because of Clapton's inclusion?  Hey wait a minute, Get Back has Billy Preston on it, you are a purist...now I get it, four lads or nothing  ;D

Nah, has nothing to do with who played on them (although I still fail to see any kind of greatness from Clapton on that song since George could have done the same thing), its just that I think WMGGW's is the most overrated Beatle song ever. I realize a lot of people love the song, but to my ears it just plods along in a monotonous fashion that bores the crap out of me. It does this for almost 5 minutes too, which seems much longer. Speaking of Clapton though, then you have everybody lusting over his guitar solo only for the mere fact that it was Clapton that did it. I fail to see anything special about it. Its merely an average Clapton solo at best. He's done much, much better solo's then that. As i've said before, if John or Paul wrote that song, it would be just another average Beatle tune, but the fact that George wrote it and its marginally better then his previous output, every Beatle fan thinks its great for some reason. I'll never get it.

Get Back has just been played to death and I cant take it anymore. I still hear it almost everyday it seems and its just not that good of song to me. You have Ringo's constant gallop on the drums that grates on my nerves after a minute or so with Paul singing nonsense and its just not an entertaining listen for me. Sorry.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2013, 02:26:32 PM »

edited
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 03:00:40 PM by blmeanie »

KelMar

« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2013, 05:08:55 PM »

(although I still fail to see any kind of greatness from Clapton on that song since George could have done the same thing)

I don't really dislike Clapton's playing on this song but at the same time it doesn't make the song for me. I much prefer the Anthology version. I like that it's acoustic and I also like the extra lines.

nimrod

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2013, 04:49:44 AM »

Most of the songs I have on my list I listen to when playing an album and I don't necessarily dislike them with a couple of exceptions. I just listed the "worst"! The Beatles worst are quite OK/good in my opinion.

yeah Im pretty much the same Dave, I dont really dislike any Beatle song hugely and if I play and album I usually play them all (except Rev No 9) :D but I dont even hate that, I see it as something different that was tried and I kind of salute them for trying different stuff, quite brave really, some songs I think are quite poor (like Little Child) but I still quite like listening to it cos its them playing on it. ;)

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2013, 12:40:35 PM »

yeah Im pretty much the same Dave, I dont really dislike any Beatle song hugely and if I play and album I usually play them all (except Rev No 9) :D but I dont even hate that, I see it as something different that was tried and I kind of salute them for trying different stuff, quite brave really, some songs I think are quite poor (like Little Child) but I still quite like listening to it cos its them playing on it. ;)
Little Child, despite it's strange title is quite the rocker with a serious use of piano and harmonica. I'll have to look it up but I bet that's George Martin on piano! I actually really like Georges worst like Only A Northern Song and It's All Too Much. I think OANS is probably Georges opinion of only being a contract writer for Northern Songs. Great bass! It's All Too Much could have been a 67 anthem if it was released as a B side that summer instead of over a year later on Yellow Sub. Probably has the most psychedelic guitar work that George ever did!

On second thought a similar heavy version of the guitar work on IATM would have worked if George was to do the WMGGW solo!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 03:26:48 PM by Dcazz »
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2013, 02:46:50 PM »

Nah, has nothing to do with who played on them (although I still fail to see any kind of greatness from Clapton on that song since George could have done the same thing), its just that I think WMGGW's is the most overrated Beatle song ever. I realize a lot of people love the song, but to my ears it just plods along in a monotonous fashion that bores the crap out of me.

I agree; I've never liked WMGGW, for the same reasons you mention, tkitna, and I've never understood the hype over Eric Clapton on it (and I'm a huge fan of his).

Snoopy66

• A Beginning
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2013, 06:43:43 PM »

I love Mr. Moonlight!
I love Mr. Moonlight too  :)... just because it's such a different style. No masterpiece, but very special sound and voice to me.

Snoopy

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2013, 06:54:48 PM »

The very fact that The Beatles wrote songs for everyone ('When I'm 64' and 'Honey Pie' were likely to appeal to a different audience than 'Yellow Submarine' and 'Octopus's Garden') means that there are going to be huge differences in opinion as to the best and worst songs in their catalogue! 

KelMar

« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2013, 11:30:22 PM »

I love Mr. Moonlight too  :)... just because it's such a different style. No masterpiece, but very special sound and voice to me.

Snoopy

I agree that John's vocals are really great in this song. I barely noticed anything else about it for a long time!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Page created in 0.989 seconds with 77 queries.