Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Penny Lane vs Strawberry Fields  (Read 43271 times)

Fool_on_the_Hill

Penny Lane vs Strawberry Fields
« on: February 17, 2004, 11:16:04 AM »

Since both of these songs are on Magical Mistery Tour and since i like them both, i usually try to choose which one is better. As always i can't make up my mind, so i'm asking you guys!

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
Re: Penny Lane vs Strawberry Fields
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2004, 03:58:37 PM »

i like fields.....but pauls song goes over better with my kids.
i just bought the visit to america dvd.i have not veiwed it yet.i am saving it for the kids to veiw with me.....

Dmitry

• Administrator
  • A Thousand Pages
    • www.murashev.com
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004, 04:29:11 PM »

I love Strawberry Fields Forever! For me it is a masterpiece!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 03:45:01 AM by Dmitry »

Beatle Ed

• Getting Better
  • //0-0\\//- -\\
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 06:11:28 AM »

I'd have to go with Strawberry fields too. I like Penny Lane, but I can listen to "SF" more.

Taxgirl

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2004, 12:42:06 PM »

I'd chose Strawberry. I love this song very much, I like psycsedellic sonds, plus, this one is really meaningful and has a lot to say. I love the tune and the lyrics.

I like PennyLane too.

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2004, 01:22:16 PM »

For me it has to be Strawberry Fields - it was so innovative and original, plus it's a really beautiful song.

Has anyone else heard the VERY early version that John tries to play in the new Beatles US DVD?

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2004, 04:10:03 PM »

I choose Strawberry Fields. I love the music and the lyrics. I've never really liked Penny Lane.

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2004, 04:11:26 PM »

The End, yes I've heard it! But I think I already told you that in the other forum :)

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2004, 05:03:11 PM »

Penny Lane is better (I didn't vote).

I know this is HIGHLY contrary to the fact that SFF is beloved by all Beatle fams, yet to me PL has always been a nearly perfect pop record, perhaps the best ever.

John@work

• Getting Better
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2004, 07:27:05 PM »

Strawberry Fields is one of my all time favorites.
A working class hero is something to be...

John Lennon

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2004, 07:49:58 PM »

I would pick Strawberry Fields although I like both songs.

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2004, 07:51:38 PM »

[quote by=The_End link=Blah.pl?b=songs,m=1077016564,s=5 date=1077110536]For me it has to be Strawberry Fields - it was so innovative and original, plus it's a really beautiful song.

Has anyone else heard the VERY early version that John tries to play in the new Beatles US DVD? [/quote]

What DVD is that on? I would like to see/hear it.

Harlena McStarkney

• Getting Better
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2004, 08:35:52 PM »

Strawberyy Fields, definitely.  It just has a much more interesting, less-pop-like sound than Penny Lane.  Don't get me wrong, I love Penny Lane, but not as much as Strawberry Fields.
Love, love is a verb. Love is a doing word.

Fool_on_the_Hill

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2004, 08:51:44 PM »

wow not a single vote for penny lane! I have to say that i've voted for strawberry fields too. I love the music and the lirycs, especially the part "Leaving is easy with eyes closed/Misunderstanding all you see..."

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2004, 11:59:05 PM »

[quote by=fab4fan link=Blah.pl?b=songs,m=1077016564,s=11 date=1077133898]

What DVD is that on? I would like to see/hear it.

[/quote]

It's on "The First Visist DVD" - the one that was only released last week. There's a scene in their hotel room where John is playing what looks like a small flute with a tiny keyboard attached. He is working on the opening chords (the part that was later played by Paul on the Mellotron keyboard. I couldn't believe it when I heard that - I mean, that was filmed about 3 years before The Beatles started their studio recording of it!

It's only a short clip though unfortunately!

Fool_on_the_Hill

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2004, 08:17:54 AM »

Is that so? You're saying that on their first visit to america John already had in mind strawberry fields and he was playing it? This is very hard to believe (but i believe you). Wow at that time they were playing i want to hold your hand and stuff like that and they had strawberyy fields? There's something wrong here!

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2004, 01:05:45 PM »

[quote by=Fool_on_the_Hill link=Blah.pl?b=songs,m=1077016564,s=15 date=1077178674]Is that so? You're saying that on their first visit to america John already had in mind strawberry fields and he was playing it? This is very hard to believe (but i believe you). Wow at that time they were playing i want to hold your hand and stuff like that and they had strawberyy fields? There's something wrong here![/quote]

I'll try to upload a clip of that track as an MP3 for you if you like. Remember though that John and Paul sometimes had melodies in their heads for years before actually recording them - I'll Follow the Sun, When I'm Sixty Four, One After 909 for example.

In the film clip, you can hear John keep trying to get the chord progression right - mind you, it is rather a strange instument he's playing!

No one has mentioned this before either - on the Let It Be... Naked bonus disc on the "John's Piano Piece" track, you can hear John running through some chords which sound very much like Imagine! John already had the melody of Jealous Guy [Child Of Nature - 1968] so maybe he had a rough version of Imagine in his head too!

So maybe the idea that Strawberry Fields was around as early as February 1964 isn't as far fetched as you might at first think!

Fool_on_the_Hill

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2004, 09:21:43 PM »

well what cna i say, but this is so great

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2004, 10:55:34 PM »

[quote by=The_End link=Blah.pl?b=songs,m=1077016564,s=16 date=1077195945]

I'll try to upload a clip of that track as an MP3 for you if you like. Remember though that John and Paul sometimes had melodies in their heads for years before actually recording them - I'll Follow the Sun, When I'm Sixty Four, One After 909 for example.

In the film clip, you can hear John keep trying to get the chord progression right - mind you, it is rather a strange instument he's playing!

No one has mentioned this before either - on the Let It Be... Naked bonus disc on the "John's Piano Piece" track, you can hear John running through some chords which sound very much like Imagine! John already had the melody of Jealous Guy [Child Of Nature - 1968] so maybe he had a rough version of Imagine in his head too!

So maybe the idea that Strawberry Fields was around as early as February 1964 isn't as far fetched as you might at first think![/quote]

Please let me know if you upload that or let me know what dvd you got it off of so I can go get it,.

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2004, 11:39:02 PM »

[quote by=fab4fan link=Blah.pl?b=songs,m=1077016564,s=18 date=1077317734]

Please let me know if you upload that or let me know what dvd you got it off of so I can go get it,.

[/quote]

I will upload it I promise :) It's from the new DVD though - check out www.beatles.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Page created in 0.267 seconds with 79 queries.