Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44

Author Topic: How Did YOU Discover The Beatles?  (Read 184260 times)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: How Did YOU Discover The Beatles?
« Reply #820 on: February 11, 2014, 05:27:14 AM »

It certainly was a bit different then, Mairi.  Imagine what it was like being a fan back in 1964 when we didn't know what was ahead with Rubber Soul, Revolver, and so on.  Each new LP release was a quantum leap forward.  And it seemed that civilization followed with clothing, music and hair.
I can stay till it's time to go

Bobber

« Reply #821 on: February 11, 2014, 09:14:18 AM »

Welcome all newbies!

RZ

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #822 on: February 11, 2014, 04:42:32 PM »

It certainly was a bit different then, Mairi.  Imagine what it was like being a fan back in 1964 when we didn't know what was ahead with Rubber Soul, Revolver, and so on.  Each new LP release was a quantum leap forward.  And it seemed that civilization followed with clothing, music and hair.

It was a very strange time in the late 60's early 70's.  When The Beatles broke America, it was like a new awakening.  I was just a child but it made me want to learn to play drums, then guitar, then bass and keys.  My parents bought me "Beatles Boots" one year for Christmas.  I wanted to grow my hair, but in high school we had to participate in ROTC (playing army).  But my senior year, I never cut my hair again.  By my sophomore year in college, my hair was touching my shoulders.  I wanted to be like The Beatles.  With every new year came a new Beatles album.  I couldn't wait to buy it.  I still have them all.  Sgt Peppers was released in 67 and completely knocked me out.  First time one song blended in to another.  Everyone was talking about it.   I was still a young high school student and in a band.  We played more Beatles songs than anything else.

For me I'm glad to see the next generation still enjoying The Beatles.  My kids had no choice but to love them since I played Beatles albums pretty much every day.  It is such a pleasure to find others still recognizing The Beatles for what they brought to this planet.  They changed music forever! 

KelMar

« Reply #823 on: February 12, 2014, 05:41:03 PM »

Welcome RZ! Like others have said it's great to get to know people who got to experience Beatlemania and all the rest firsthand.

Kagome

• A Beginning
  • Recording Engineer Toshiba EMI & Capitol EMI
« Reply #824 on: March 12, 2014, 10:39:02 PM »

I work For Toshiba EMI & Capitol EMI And Older Sister love the Beatles too when I was growing up

Silver Dollar

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #825 on: June 12, 2014, 02:29:51 AM »

In the weeks just before the Beatles came to America in 1964, a bunch of us guys in school kept wondering what was so great about the Beatles.  The girls were paying way more attention to them than they were to us.  (I did find out much later that the girls never wanted to pay much attention to us anyway. :'()  We hated it and we also hated the fact that they were also replacing the DooWop groups and groups like the 4 Seasons.  Then on 9 Feb. 1964, the Beatles were to play on TV.  I sat in front of the TV just waiting to hate them.  They started playing and I realized something was wrong.  I really liked what they were playing. I went from a Beatle hater to a huge Beatle fan overnight.  I figured if you can't beat them, join them.  I got a hold of a guitar and taught myself how to play all their songs.  I really wasn't that great of a guitarist and there were so many guitar players in my high school, I felt like a microscopic fish in the Atlantic Ocean.  Bass players however were in real short supply.  I took lessons and started playing a bunch of weddings and dances with my new Beatle Bass copy that I had to wait a long time to get.  As time went on, I switched to jazz bass and guitar and got away from playing strictly Beatle songs.  I now play along with my Beatle albums as well as my jazz CDs on my genuine 1965 Hofner Violin bass.  I got a chance to live through Beatlemania first hand and am still a huge fan. 

KelMar

« Reply #826 on: June 12, 2014, 02:58:50 AM »

Welcome! That's a great story Silver Dollar. I always like hearing from those who were there when it happened. I just missed it!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #827 on: June 12, 2014, 03:08:38 AM »

Welcome to the Forum, Silver Dollar.

You and I are contemporaries sharing a similar experience in early 1964.  The Beatles appealed to girls much more than they did to us.  I liked what I saw on The Ed Sullivan Show but I liked the rougher groups better like The Animals and The Rolling Stones.  But I knew there was hope for The Beatles when I heard John belt out songs like Twist And Shout, It Won't Be long and Money (That's What I Want).  ;)

By 1965, their music matured and I began to really enjoy The Beatles.  Rubber Soul is what clinched it for me.

Fab4Fan

• Getting Better
« Reply #828 on: June 12, 2014, 03:34:47 AM »

Rubber Soul is what clinched it for me.

Ditto for me as well.  But I guess you'd never know it based upon my avatar, eh? 

And, welcome Silver Dollar, it's nice to have you aboard!
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #829 on: June 12, 2014, 04:17:54 AM »

Welcome! That's a great story Silver Dollar. I always like hearing from those who were there when it happened. I just missed it!

True Kelley. Consolation is we're younger.  ha2ha

That is a great story Silver Dollar. It's interesting to hear from guys who were teenagers at the time and how the Beatles won them over despite the screaming girl thing.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #830 on: June 12, 2014, 04:57:39 AM »

It's interesting to hear from guys who were teenagers at the time and how the Beatles won them over despite the screaming girl thing.

The girls were basket cases, Moog.  If we showed them a picture of The Beatles, we'd get a response like this...

It was such good sport!    ;D

I liked The Animals better in 1964 and 1965...

The Animals - It's My Life (1965) HD & HQ

Yeah, they did the Sullivan thing too.  And Eric Burdon actually smiled for about two seconds...

Please Don´t Let Me Be Misunderstood- The Animals

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #831 on: June 12, 2014, 04:59:23 AM »

Yeah, well you'll be older too.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #832 on: June 12, 2014, 02:07:23 PM »

Welcome, SilverDollar. I so wish I could have experienced Beatlemania firsthand. I definitely would have been one of those screaming, crying, incoherent girls.  :)

nimrod

« Reply #833 on: June 12, 2014, 11:33:44 PM »

Welcome to the Forum, Silver Dollar.

You and I are contemporaries sharing a similar experience in early 1964.  The Beatles appealed to girls much more than they did to us.  I liked what I saw on The Ed Sullivan Show but I liked the rougher groups better like The Animals and The Rolling Stones.  But I knew there was hope for The Beatles when I heard John belt out songs like Twist And Shout, It Won't Be long and Money (That's What I Want).  ;)

By 1965, their music matured and I began to really enjoy The Beatles.  Rubber Soul is what clinched it for me.

Welcome..

Different for me, I saw their first tv appearance as an 11 year old in England and was completely hooked from that point on, John Lennon mesmerized me in particular, but George & Paul also to a slightly lesser degree
Ours was a very musical house, my Dad played piano & clarinet, and up to that point Id been a big fan of Lonny Donigan (Skiffle craze)
Ive loved them ever since that day as an 11 year old. I hounded my Mum for  a round collar Beatle Jacket and eventually got one  ;D

KelMar

« Reply #834 on: June 13, 2014, 04:19:52 AM »

And you're even younger than me Moog!

Harpsichord

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #835 on: August 15, 2014, 04:38:12 AM »

Well, I suppose this is the best way to introduce myself. I'm only 14 years old, but I consider myself pretty knowledgeable regarding The Beatles and serveral other bands of the same era.
I discovered The Beatles through a hauntingly beautiful piece my mother used to play on the piano to put me to sleep. One day I asked her what it was, and she told me it was called Norwegian Wood, by The Beatles. The title captured my imagination. It wasn't until several years later, when I first heard Yesterday, that I became hooked.
Light the lamp and fire mellow
Cabinessence timely hello
Welcomes the time for a change…

KelMar

« Reply #836 on: August 15, 2014, 04:47:06 AM »

That's a great way to be introduced to The Beatles and a great way to introduce yourself to us. Welcome, Harpsichord!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #837 on: August 16, 2014, 03:14:14 AM »

Welcome to this place, Harpsichord.  You joined the Forum on a magical weekend...the 45th anniversary of Woodstock.

NotTheWalrus

• A Beginning
« Reply #838 on: March 08, 2015, 11:17:34 PM »

I discovered The Beatles by watching Help on television. I was young at the time, but had some idea that The Beatles had something to do with my favourite band at the time, The Monkees, so I watched the film. The rest is history.

Bobber

« Reply #839 on: March 09, 2015, 08:17:50 AM »

I discovered The Beatles by watching Help on television. I was young at the time, but had some idea that The Beatles had something to do with my favourite band at the time, The Monkees, so I watched the film. The rest is history.

Welcome aboard NotTheWalrus!
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44

Page created in 0.58 seconds with 77 queries.