Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Cee Lo Green changes Lennon's "Imagine" lyrics to include pro-religion message  (Read 29468 times)

Lennon93

• One And One Is Two

I believe in God, but not as one thing,
not as an old man in the sky.
I believe that what people call God
is something in all of us.
I believe that what Jesus and Mohammed and Buddha
and all the rest said was right.
It's just that the translations have gone wrong.
- John Lennon

Around this John wrote both Imagine and God. It is really clear.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

peterbell1

• Getting Better

... people are stupid... the human race is just too dumb to live in peace... people suck...

You should put that to music - I think you may have just out-negatived Mr Lennon there!  ;)

Personally, I don't think you can paint the entire human race with such a negative image - there are probably more sinners out there than saints, but that's no need to write off humanity as a whole. You can still believe in the possibility of a "Brotherhood of Man" as Lennon invites us to.

... I cant fathom how people love the song so much (the sheep are followers though).

If you have to be a sheep to like Imagine then ..... Baaaaaaaaaaa   ;)

Instead of thinking there is no heaven, how about we all believe that there is one. Wonder how people would react to that?

There are many, many religious songs out there calling on listeners to believe this or believe that. Yet they don't attract criticism from non-believers the way that this one song by John Lennon gets criticised by believers. People are entitled to believe what they want at the end of the day.

Lennon93

• One And One Is Two

It is funny how tkitna calls people sheep (followers) for liking this song (while talking about religion), and then he wants to beliave in one heaven. Seems the only sheep here tkitna is you. That is something about John spoke. People who follow religion like blind awating for some kind of after life reward are sheep. Find heaven in yourself.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?

I believe in God, but not as one thing,
not as an old man in the sky.
I believe that what people call God
is something in all of us.
I believe that what Jesus and Mohammed and Buddha
and all the rest said was right.
It's just that the translations have gone wrong.
- John Lennon

Around this John wrote both Imagine and God. It is really clear.

It is really clear that John got it wrong. I think what John was trying to go for was to explain the Holy Spirit, but thats not the whole picture. He never did get the whole picture.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot

It is funny how tkitna calls people sheep (followers) for liking this song (while talking about religion), and then he wants to beliave in one heaven. Seems the only sheep here tkitna is you. That is something about John spoke. People who follow religion like blind awating for some kind of after life reward are sheep. Find heaven in yourself.

Yeah, I only believe in one heaven and one God, and I admit to being a follower,,,,in Christ. I'll easily accept that. Its a shame you cant put the energy you have for a mere sinning human, into the Lord, but its practically expected in this day and age.

You can only find heaven through Christ. Not yourself.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem

This is kind of stupid. If you're not behind the message of the original song, then don't sing it.

my sentiments exactly.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Nada Surf

• A Beginning

Imagine IS a great song (especially the music), but if this guy wanted to change the words to "Imagine a world without Yoko" he could have done that. He ONLY owes Yoko money if he makes money on the song...To the guy who said "if this is all you have to worry about" I have to completely agree...Lighten up people..This is a non-incident!

peterbell1

• Getting Better

You'd never catch me changing the lyrics to a famous John Lennon song - no way!

Oh - hold on ......  :P

Give Pete a Chance by Pete Bell

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector

Todd we have respectfully disagreed on different topics. I strongly disagree with you on this one as well.

I think the song is beautiful in it's simplicity.

I also think you are extremely negative and cynical yourself. I don't mean that to insult you. I say it with respect for your opinions. I enjoy, or shall I say, I think your opinions are valuable. They just typically are negative and cynical. Maybe that is your aim. That is okay. (As if you needed my validation and acceptance...)

Now, back to the topic, I don't think anyone should have asked Yoko's opinion. I think the song should not have been changed. This performer has taken liberties without even understanding what the song is about or the original intention. If he thought it should say something different he should "Give The Fans A Chance", to respond to his changes, and yet that is really not possible either.

As far as religion goes, nothing in human history has caused more bloodshed, violence, greed and all things bad. I do not believe that there is good in all religion. I believe that the true God has one religion he favors. That one is the religion that follows what he has layed out for mankind. If you want to know which one it is... Go on a search, ask humbly in your heart, you will find. I can't answer the question here. Not the place for it, nor is this the place for a religious debate. Enough said... on that.

Now enough of my ramblings...
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

tkitna

• That Means a Lot

I also think you are extremely negative and cynical yourself. I don't mean that to insult you.

Your absolutly correct 100%. I realize i'm a negative person and I need to work harder on it. Unfortunately, I was raised as a glass half empty type of person. I prepare for the worst and if anything better than that happens, its a plus. My wife hates it. Just last night she called me the most negative person she has ever met.

I will say this though, unlike John Lennon, I dont pretend to be anybody but myself. I'll leave it at that.

As far as religion goes, nothing in human history has caused more bloodshed, violence, greed and all things bad. I do not believe that there is good in all religion. I believe that the true God has one religion he favors. That one is the religion that follows what he has layed out for mankind. If you want to know which one it is... Go on a search, ask humbly in your heart, you will find. I can't answer the question here. Not the place for it, nor is this the place for a religious debate. Enough said... on that.

Well said. Really that was nicely put. I'm the last person to go on a religious or political rant, but I think my pastor prompted this from last Sunday. He said that us (being Christians) are the minority anymore and we are looked upon as aliens. I thought about it and he's right. I'm tired of people b****ing and feeling offended if I mention God. They should be the offended ones (maybe they are), because they are wrong.

I'm done. Peace.

Nada Surf

• A Beginning

I think the singer, who I've never heard of, wanted all religions to get along...
Big deal?
Whatya' say we sentence him to four months of Paul's granny music?

nimrod

Three chords, a negative message and there you go. Shouldnt be very hard.

yeah but it coming up with a melody thats the hard bit (especially one that people will remember and sing)  ???

now come on Todd, this is one of THE most positive songs ever written, of course its a dream but just imagine....no countries etc etc

KelMar

..To the guy who said "if this is all you have to worry about" I have to completely agree...Lighten up people..This is a non-incident!

Who ever said that's all they had to worry about? Obviously this is not the most important thing in anyone's life! But since this is a forum for Beatles fans it's not a stretch to discuss it.

nimrod

I think the singer, who I've never heard of, wanted all religions to get along...
Big deal?
Whatya' say we sentence him to four months of Paul's granny music?

good idea  ha2ha

Ive thought more about this though and to sum up I think its disrespectful, I mean if John was still alive he couldve asked him if he'd minded the new lyric but as Johns long dead its disrespectful to change his words, Im sure those words were carefully chosen and important to John

tkitna

• That Means a Lot

now come on Todd, this is one of THE most positive songs ever written, of course its a dream but just imagine....no countries etc etc

No on both accounts. (With all due respect Kev, because your one of the good ones and I hope i'm not offending)

Nada Surf

• A Beginning

good idea  ha2ha

Ive thought more about this though and to sum up I think its disrespectful, I mean if John was still alive he couldve asked him if he'd minded the new lyric but as Johns long dead its disrespectful to change his words, Im sure those words were carefully chosen and important to John
I think just the opposite...If John were alive, he would have applauded the guy since he was saying pretty much the same thing...He also would have told you all to quit being ridiculous before he went back to ignoring you all...
Please, more of you need to read Seamann's "The Final Days of John Lennon."
He was NOTHING as Yoko would have you believe he was!

nimrod

I think just the opposite...If John were alive, he would have applauded the guy since he was saying pretty much the same thing...He also would have told you all to quit being ridiculous before he went back to ignoring you all...
Please, more of you need to read Seamann's "The Final Days of John Lennon."
He was NOTHING as Yoko would have you believe he was!

Yes but Johns NOT alive is he ?

and its your opinion that he wouldve applauded the guy, you dont know that..your purely surmising based on a trashy book you just read (yes Ive read it, and I dont believe much of what Fred says to be honest)

I still say its disrespectful to change a songs lyrics after the writer has died....should we start changing Shakespeare's plays also ? maybe some textspeak so young 'peeps' can dig it more..

Nada Surf

• A Beginning

Yes but Johns NOT alive is he ?

and its your opinion that he wouldve applauded the guy, you dont know that..your purely surmising based on a trashy book you just read (yes Ive read it, and I dont believe much of what Fred says to be honest)

I still say its disrespectful to change a songs lyrics after the writer has died....should we start changing Shakespeare's plays also ? maybe some textspeak so young 'peeps' can dig it more..
Tony Bramwell says this is one of the best Beatle books ever written...Seamann's description of how Lennon lived the last year of his life would have been echoed by several of Lennon's friends, Mick Jagger, Paul McCartney, George Harrison among others, and was echoed by others who lived in that home or were among the few visitors that Yoko would allow either in or to talk on the phone...
But if you want to keep believing that John baked a lot of bread while raising his kid, you go right ahead.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot

He definitely wasnt the hero everybody thinks he was. I laugh at all the idolization.

nimrod

But if you want to keep believing that John baked a lot of bread while raising his kid, you go right ahead.

I'll take that to mean you think Im stupid and in that case I'll back out of this debate  :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Page created in 0.937 seconds with 79 queries.