Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Cee Lo Green changes Lennon's "Imagine" lyrics to include pro-religion message  (Read 29461 times)

Nada Surf

• A Beginning

I'll take that to mean you think Im stupid and in that case I'll back out of this debate  :)
Nobody said you were stupid....I'm just wondering where your critical thinking was.

KelMar

He definitely wasnt the hero everybody thinks he was. I laugh at all the idolization.

I don't look at him as a hero, nor do I idolize him. I do think he was a very talented man who was possibly one of the most interesting people I've ever read about.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?

I don't look at him as a hero, nor do I idolize him. I do think he was a very talented man who was possibly one of the most interesting people I've ever read about.

Thats a good statement. I agree with you, he was interesting and very talented.

nimrod

wonder if Cee lo thinks this religion is ok (f***ing disgusting imo)

http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/15542711

A 16-year-old girl was buried alive by relatives in a gruesome Turkish honour killing - because she befriended boys.

Acting on a tip-off, police discovered Medine Memi's body in a sitting position with her hands tied, in a two-metre-deep hole in a chicken pen outside her house.
A post mortem revealed that she had a significant amount of soil in her lungs and stomach, meaning that she was buried alive, foresic experts told the Anatolia agency.
The girl was discovered in Kahta town, Adiyaman province, 40 days after she went missing.
"The autopsy result is blood-curdling," one anonymous expert said.

"According to our findings, the girl - who had no bruises on her body and no sign of narcotics or poison in her blood - was alive and fully conscious when she was buried."
Medine's father and grandfather have been arrested and jailed pending trial over her killing, the agency said.
The father is reported to have said in his testimony that the family was unhappy she had male friends.
In honour killings, most prevalent in Turkey's mainly Kurdish South East, a so-called family council names a member to murder a female relative.
A victim is targeted if she is considered to have sullied the family honour, usually by engaging in an extra-marital affair.
The practice has seen rape victims or women who simply talked to strange men murdered.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 06:23:00 AM by nimrod »

tkitna

• That Means a Lot

Thats messed up.

BeatlesAtTheirBest

• A Beginning

I always wanted to change the opening line to Imagine "this" is Heaven.

The Beatles (1960-1970) - John, Stu, Paul, George, Pete & Ringo

www.TheUltimateTrip.net

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem

Just wanted to point out that the lyric is "IMAGINE" there's no heaven, not simply "there's no heaven". Food for thought.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

BeatlesAtTheirBest

• A Beginning

Just wanted to point out that the lyric is "IMAGINE" there's no heaven, not simply "there's no heaven". Food for thought.

Yes............................................ And I always thought it should have been imagine THIS is heaven.

Food for thought.

The Beatles (1960-1970) - John, Stu, Paul, George, Pete & Ringo

www.TheUltimateTrip.net

tkitna

• That Means a Lot

Its the same message.

nimrod

my take on this is that John is asking us to imagine that people dont believe in religion anymore and that might lead to us all being the same, no religions, no nationalities etc etc then hopefully no more wars

Joost

• That Means a Lot

Its the same message.

I disagree. "There's no heaven" would be an atheist statement. "Imagine there's no heaven" isn't. That's just asking people, "Hey, even if you believe that there's a heaven, just pretend for a minute that there isn't a heaven, would that change the way you look at life?".

peterbell1

• Getting Better

From what I've read, John was more anti- organised religion rather than anti- spirituality or all-out atheist.

This quote from him has already been mentioned in this thread ...

I believe in God, but not as one thing,
not as an old man in the sky.
I believe that what people call God
is something in all of us.
I believe that what Jesus and Mohammed and Buddha
and all the rest said was right.
It's just that the translations have gone wrong.
- John Lennon

I think that his lines "Imagine there's no heaven" and "no religion too" are not condemning spirituality; he is basically asking us to ponder what the world would be like if we didn't have all the different types of religion. Although religion does bring people together in a localised sense, it keeps people apart globally. He's looking at the picture on a global scale and saying wouldn't it be great if we could all "live as one" if we didn't have things like countries and religions to argue and fight over. He's asking us to imagine how things would be if we could forget our differences with our fellow man and simply love one another. Surely that's a VERY spiritual message at the heart of the song.

It's the same simple message that is behind Give Peace a Chance - drop all the "-isms" and believe in peace.

Imagine is so clever lyrically because he doesn't just come out and say "Do this", "do that" - he asks us as individuals to "Imagine" and "dream", so that change will occur in our hearts and our heads, and only then is there a chance of it becoming reality.
And he doesn't set himself up as some sort of leader - "perhaps some day you'll join US", he says, so he's just part of a bigger crowd of dreamers who believe in world peace.

Cee Lo Green missed all this when he changed the song's lyrics.
His change to "all religion's true" doesn't even make sense - how can all religions be true if each religion is asking us to believe in separate Gods and follow different sets of rules?

nimrod

for me, thats an excellent post peter  ;yes

tkitna

• That Means a Lot

I disagree. "There's no heaven" would be an atheist statement. "Imagine there's no heaven" isn't. That's just asking people, "Hey, even if you believe that there's a heaven, just pretend for a minute that there isn't a heaven, would that change the way you look at life?".

Ok, so instead of him telling us to do something, he's asking us to to do it. There's no difference. 'There's no heaven' is an atheist statement and rather than just coming out and saying it, John asks us to 'Imagine' there's no heaven which in my opinion is John asking us to adopt the atheist belief. I'm having a hard time seeing the difference except that he asks instead of tells.

Lennon93

• One And One Is Two

It's a song about love and peace. Imagine all people in the world living in peace without religion or any other organization to make us hate each other or kill. You can be believer but don't let that make you hate or disrespect someone who is different than you. In some way (for me) Cee Lo's lyrics are telling same thing as Lennon's. Believe in what you want but respect others. Religion should be something personal.

Joost

• That Means a Lot

Ok, so instead of him telling us to do something, he's asking us to to do it.

I don't think he's asking anyone to change their religious beliefs. He's just asking the listener to imagine it for a minute, that's all.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot

Believe in what you want but respect others. Religion should be something personal.

I agree. John shouldnt have brought it up at all, but he had a history of doing so.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot

I don't think he's asking anyone to change their religious beliefs. He's just asking the listener to imagine it for a minute, that's all.

Why would he ask though? Heaven is the embodiment of happiness and peace and yet, he's asking us to forget about it. I cant see anything positive about that.

Joost

• That Means a Lot

Why would he ask though? Heaven is the embodiment of happiness and peace and yet, he's asking us to forget about it. I cant see anything positive about that.

It's a carpe diem vs. memento mori thing. I think that not believing in heaven can be a good motivation to get the most out of life of earth.

peterbell1

• Getting Better

He also asks us to imagine that there's no hell below us, which surely IS a positive thing....
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Page created in 0.781 seconds with 75 queries.