Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Best 70's George Album....  (Read 11084 times)

ma_tt2

• A Thousand Pages
Re: The Best 70's George Album....
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2006, 04:32:56 AM »

I'm starting to like Living In The Material World a lot more than I did before. I like how it doesn't have the wall of sound and is a little more simple. All the songs are great too.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2006, 10:07:48 AM »

Suprisingly - All Things Must Pass ;)

Living In The Material World a close second.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2007, 01:17:50 AM »

We'll assume ATMP shouldn't even be in this list-- it's too easy!  ;)

So I voted for 33 and a third for my second-place choice. It's happy and funny. Although George's eponymous album is on my list. I want to hold off and get a remastered version; I imagine Olivia will be rereleasing his entire catalog over time. That will be great!
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

mr kite

• A Thousand Pages
    • Alberts Continuing Storys
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2007, 08:53:48 PM »

Without doubt ALL THINGS MUST PASS is a masterpiece .
Second place has to be LIVING IN THE MATERIAL WORLD.

Extra texture has got to be GEORGES lowest point in his entire career IMO
Wallflower Has Blossomed

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2007, 10:22:46 PM »

Quote from: 449
[...]
Extra texture has got to be GEORGES lowest point in his entire career IMO
But it's my favourite album from him! :-/ :)

mr kite

• A Thousand Pages
    • Alberts Continuing Storys
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2007, 09:14:24 AM »

Im sorry RAXO so how much i loved GEORGEs music ,when i bought EXTRA TEXTURE[around 1979ish] i could`nt get  into it.  Apart from YOU i dont like anything else. :-/
Wallflower Has Blossomed

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2007, 09:22:20 AM »

I think it has to be all things much pass, with living in the material world second..

BlueMeanie

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2007, 03:27:51 PM »

Quote from: 551
We'll assume ATMP shouldn't even be in this list-- it's too easy!  ;)

So I voted for 33 and a third for my second-place choice. It's happy and funny. Although George's eponymous album is on my list. I want to hold off and get a remastered version; I imagine Olivia will be rereleasing his entire catalog over time. That will be great!

I seem to remember having this conversation with someone else recently. They are all remastered and reissued except Dark Horse and Extra Texture. Possibly coming this year. 33 and a 3rd is included in the box set - The Dark Horse Years.

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2007, 02:02:05 PM »

the best album by George could well be All Things Must Pass but
i always keep coming back to 33 & 3rd.
It's got so many great underated george songs on it and the guitar
solo on Pure Smokey is just so perfect!

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

maccalennon

• A Beginning
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2007, 02:14:51 PM »

A foregone conclusion really. Should have made the vote georges second best 70's album in which case i would have gon efor Thirty Three & A Third. In fact his second best album, period.

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2007, 03:08:27 PM »

All Things Must Pass.....

The music speaks for itself... but don't get me wrong... the other records are gems too!  :)

~the guiding light in all your love shines on~

wingsman

• Getting Better
  • There is always a reason to live
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2007, 01:05:04 AM »

Quote from: 37
All things must pass
Although I don't like the title song.

Really???? I love the song 'All Things Must Pass'. It's one of the best tracks from the album. Well, actually I bought it today!! And I listened to it 2 times now. Fantastic record. I love George.
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2007, 01:48:30 AM »

Quote from: 713
Well, actually I bought it today!! And I listened to it 2 times now. Fantastic record. I love George.

Ah, Wingsman, you lucky dog! I adore this album! I play it regularly and just love it to pieces. I enjoy all the tracks, but my personal favorites are What Is Life, Let It Down, Run Of The Mill, Ballad Of Sir Frankie Crisp (Let It Roll), and Hear Me Lord. I like Isn't It a Pity and Beware of Darkness when I'm a bit more contemplative. Just a fabulous album from start to finish. Cheers.

All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

wingsman

• Getting Better
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2007, 11:20:31 PM »

Quote from: 551

Ah, Wingsman, you lucky dog! I adore this album! I play it regularly and just love it to pieces. I enjoy all the tracks, but my personal favorites are What Is Life, Let It Down, Run Of The Mill, Ballad Of Sir Frankie Crisp (Let It Roll), and Hear Me Lord. I like Isn't It a Pity and Beware of Darkness when I'm a bit more contemplative. Just a fabulous album from start to finish. Cheers.

I've been impressed with some tracks, specially the ballads. There are more slow tunes than what I've expected. But there are incredibly good. For example, "I'd Have You Anytime" is really Dylanesque and a beautiful introduction to the album, which really takes strength with 'My Sweet Lord'. I'm loving this song so much. 'Wah-Wah' is quite weird. The first time I've listened to it I really didn't like it. 'Isn't It A Pity' is a perfect track. Today, listening to it, my brother began to sing 'na na na na-na-na-na na-na-na-na Hey Jude'... They are quite similar...
I don't know really all the songs yet, but they gave me a really good impression. All except the Apple Jam... I mean, what the hell is that? Anyway, a fantastic album.
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2007, 02:53:22 PM »

All Things Must Pass to me could possibly be George's best work but the Apple
Jam let's it down & i'm not a big fan of the echo sound on it with the orchestration.
But overall, brilliant songs, I'd Have You Anytime is just so beautiful & peaceful.  ;)

wingsman

• Getting Better
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2007, 07:10:56 PM »

Quote from: 614
All Things Must Pass to me could possibly be George's best work but the Apple
Jam let's it down & i'm not a big fan of the echo sound on it with the orchestration.
But overall, brilliant songs, I'd Have You Anytime is just so beautiful & peaceful.  ;)

Yes, I've been listening to the Jam and it's crap.  :-/

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2007, 08:52:13 PM »

Quote from: 713

Yes, I've been listening to the Jam and it's crap.  :-/

mm, i wonder if anyone knows why it was on the album?  :-/

wingsman

• Getting Better
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2007, 05:41:36 PM »

Maybe it was included just because George really wanted to have a TRIPLE album -the first ever for a solo artist- and make jealous the other Beatles.
Well I don't have idea.   :)

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2007, 05:59:34 PM »

I don't think it was to inspire jealousy, Wingsman!  :D The other Beatles thought he was mad, and told him so. They said he was pricing himself right out of the market.

I think George was perversely doing his own thing. He didn't have great expectations for the album, because several of the songs had a religious content that he suspected might go over like a lead balloon. But this was his album, finally, and he was going to do what he pleased.

The only explanation I'd ever heard for the jams is that he expected these spontaneous warm-ups that were so much fun for him would disappear forever, and he wanted to include them. Someone once likened them to bonus tracks on a CD, and I think that's a good analogy. Since he expected only diehard friends would buy the album, it was something he suspected might be interesting to them. No one in their wildest dreams thought the album would be as successful as it turned out to be, critically and commercially. I think that's a lovely payback for any artist who has the chance to follow his heart. :)

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2007, 06:31:01 PM »

I voted Thirty Three And A Third , as i like the overall feel of this album  :)

DaveRam :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 86 queries.