Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Pauls best bass work  (Read 23575 times)

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Pauls best bass work
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2005, 08:49:38 PM »

Quote from: An_Apple_Beatle

True....The thing is sometimes that makes that a good thing to do, is the space it allows for the singing. ;)

Come Together is quite a tuffy to sing and play. I suppose he gets the first verse to get warmed up on it before he has to sing. lol

Heh, the thing is, I don't think it was intentional.  That's the only song where he's done that, and there's definitely something missing when he just magically stops playing  :-/

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2005, 10:29:04 PM »

I don't think you need a bass part running through the entire length of every song. There are nuances. So what if its just him and the cool guitar part? and its only the first verse if I'm not mistaken. He kicks it in pretty good when he starts raging and goes from there.

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2005, 10:55:04 PM »

Quote from: juniorsfarm
I don't think you need a bass part running through the entire length of every song. There are nuances. So what if its just him and the cool guitar part? and its only the first verse if I'm not mistaken. He kicks it in pretty good when he starts raging and goes from there.

The thing is that that was the only song to my recollection that that happened.  I think What Goes On summarized clearly with this E-Mail:

"Paul never seems to play his melodic bass line and sing at the same time. Especially at 2:01, Paul returns to doing the full bass line while John sings, yet stops at 2:45 when he has to rejoin him. CoreyTan@aol.com observed: "Such is live recording, but you would have figured Paul could chew gum and walk at the same time." There is a tuning or intonation problem with the higher notes on the bass

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2005, 11:41:19 PM »

Quote from: Frightwolf

The thing is that that was the only song to my recollection that that happened.

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2005, 11:53:56 PM »

So what? Then its one song. Watch him play in an old concert video. Watch him play in a new concert video. He has/had no problems singing and playing at the same time.
Maybe he felt that it sounded better that way, not that he couldn't do it.

I think you're missing my point.  I'm saying his bass work ain't always "in the pocket."

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2005, 12:06:11 AM »

I think you're missing my point.

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2005, 12:09:41 AM »

Then you're going to have to do alot better than mentioning one song out of hundreds. Why is it that there is all that incredible stuff out there, and someone has to single out one thing that they think is less than perfect? Who gives a flying fu**? The Beatles' music had plenty of imperfections. Take the song "In My Life", its one of the greatest songs ever as far as I'm concerned. Listen to the end of it. The last chord. Whoever is playing it, my guess John, their finger hits one of the strings before the song ends and their is that slight buzz. It could have been cleaned up or re-recorded so the chord just rings and it would be "perfect", but no, they left it is was. So what? 'Hey Jude' has John p*ssed for a second and using the "F" word, they could have edited it out. They didn't. So what? You're out of focus Son.

Ah, first off, keep the patronizing "son" out of this, because that's not gonna help anyone take you seriously, dad -_-

Second, quit the cussing.

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2005, 12:30:56 AM »

Ah, first off, keep the patronizing "son" out of this, because that's not gonna help anyone take you seriously, dad -_-

Second, quit the cussing.

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2005, 12:32:36 AM »

One example of a missing bass part that could very possibly have been deliberate, doesn't cut it. Sorry.

If it's deliberate, I don't believe it was a very good decision.  You hear no moving bass while Paul sings, and then you hear a pretty good bassline when Lennon comes in, which just stops magically when Paul starts singing, doesn't seem like a great deliberate move.  Paul getting too excited with himself could better explain why he wasn't hitting that bass part.

Like I said, not "in the pocket" here.

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2005, 12:40:39 AM »

You are entitled to your opinion, just an interesting observation from someone who can't tell Monophonic from Stereo.

Nice popshot.

« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2005, 05:56:59 AM »

Nice popshot.

Mushmouth

• Getting Better
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2005, 06:12:25 AM »

I know the Beatles did not write Twist and Shout, but the bass work on that piece is marvelous, it took me over a week to get down.
I'd like to say thank you on behalf of the group and ourselves, and I hope we pass the audition.

TurnMeOnDeadman

• A Thousand Pages
  • Creme Tangerine
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2005, 06:13:23 AM »

How can i forget the basswork in "Hello Goodbye"...

mih ssim mih ssim ,won daed si luap

"LSD is a drug made famous by John Lennon and Paul Mccartney"
 &nb

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2005, 06:23:04 AM »

Here we go.....

Try listening to Lennons sloppy bass playin on The LongAWR.

Listen to Sting on almost every song he has ever done......If you are a bass player/ singer...It's kinda natural that when you sing, the bassline tends to become compromised.

Some riffs like Paperback Writer are easy to keep up whilst singing. None of the Beatles  were in the pocket all of the time.
I hav'nt read all the bickering, but thats about it really.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2005, 06:36:43 AM »

Here we go.....

Try listening to Lennons sloppy bass playin on The LongAWR.

Listen to Sting on almost every song he has ever done......If you are a bass player/ singer...It's kinda natural that when you sing, the bassline tends to become compromised.

Some riffs like Paperback Writer are easy to keep up whilst singing. None of the Beatles

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2005, 06:54:41 AM »

I would'nt know about lefty's lol...Not sure if right handed makes it easier for me! lol...
If you try out or listen to It's Getting Better you'll notice that again the bass calms down to octave pushes during the verses, although mastering the riff of the chorus whilst singing is a tricky thing.....Makes me wonder as this was done in the studio probably as an overdub, whether Macca still maintained the ethos of live playing. Or whether there is a strong case that his attention to dynamics led him to leave the space for the vocals?
 As for I gotta Feeling, it's the rhodes that takes up the lick while Paul is singing..The bass line is a very subtle change when John sings that keeps the song interesting and the lick (Almost emulating and possibly replacing the rhodes riff) is played in the gaps of Lennons singing. Although I recognise there was a lot of pettiness at times within the group, I'm sure on this track in particular Paul is'nt sabotaging Lennon's vocals.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2005, 07:20:30 AM »

As for I gotta Feeling, it's the rhodes that takes up the lick while Paul is singing..The bass line is a very subtle change when John sings that keeps the song interesting and the lick (Almost emulating and possibly replacing the rhodes riff) is played in the gaps of Lennons singing. Although I recognise there was a lot of pettiness at times within the group, I'm sure on this track in particular Paul is'nt sabotaging Lennon's vocals.

I've got a DVD of his show in Madrid from May 30th, 2004 where he does 'I've Got A Feeling', I'll have to pop it in just for fun to see how he did it live. I watched it once and can't remember offhand. Another tangent-the song selection is all over the place from 'In Spite of All the Danger' to 'All Things Must Pass' to 'Let Me Roll It' that goes into a 'Foxey Lady' ending, and the coupe de grace 'Helter Skelter', and he sandwiches 'I've Got a Feeling' between 'Live and Let Die' and 'Lady Madonna'.

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2005, 08:43:41 PM »

Thanks for setting me straight, I didn't realize your expertise and the incredible Beatle authority with whom I was dealing. From now on I shall defer to you when there are any questions that require the depth of knowledge you have when it comes to matters as to how Paul or any of the Beatles should have been playing on any particular track. I'll let others post when you raise such mind-boggling questions about what the difference is between Mono and Stereo or what a walrus might be. A thousand pardons oh wise one.

Like I said, grow up.  Charlie was right -- you're a troll.  Here you are baiting.  Nice one.  BTW, this thread said, "Pauls best bass work."  I offered my two cents -- I've Got A Feeling ain't his best, nowhere close.  Now the minute you tell me what my opinion of his basswork in IGAF has to do with Mono and Stereo, I'll be impressed.  

You putting words in my mouth is also immature and pathetic.  I never claimed to be wiser than anyone else -- I merely dissected your immature point about Paul being always "in the pocket."  Obviously, you don't have my argument "in the pocket," or you wouldn't have to resort to babyish drivel.

There's a nice song I sing about like people like you:

A trollin' we will go
A trollin' we will go
Hi-ho a dairy-o
A trollin' we will go

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2005, 11:59:16 PM »

Obviously, you don't have my argument "in the pocket," or you wouldn't have to resort to babyish drivel.

There's a nice song I sing about like people like you:

A trollin' we will go
A trollin' we will go
Hi-ho a dairy-o
A trollin' we will go

"Babyish drivel" indeed. I know you're a little ticked at me, but you're not doing much to help your credibility especially when you say you reported me, which I doubt, but even if you did, all he's got to do is look at what you post, like, say, this original piece here. You can keep on if you wish, but I'm done.

Pmacca01

• One And One Is Two
    • A Little Perturbed and Slightly Embarrassed
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2005, 12:42:32 AM »

I chose Something out of those, but even though he didn't write the bass line completely, I loved the bass line in I Saw Her Standing There
Clever Beatles Quote Here
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Page created in 0.379 seconds with 82 queries.