Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Book:The Lives of John Lennon  (Read 13956 times)

Paul Doherty

• A Beginning
Book:The Lives of John Lennon
« on: January 21, 2008, 01:29:22 PM »

Has anyone read this? Think the author is Goldman? Really shocking stuff in there about John and Yoko...some of it was really hard to believe,but all round im still in shock by what i read.
If he made up some of the stuff....why?
If he didnt.....ie,Yoko's attitude when John died etc.....shocking.
I've read before that this book caused a storm when it came out......anyone read it?
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
Re: Book:The Lives of John Lennon
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 02:09:59 PM »

Yeah I got a copy bought for me. I think it's a good read. Lots of the general facts in their with a bit of gossip to sell the book. everyone likes a new revelation...Especially the publishers.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Paul Doherty

• A Beginning
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 02:24:48 PM »

I think he pushed the whole'John was bisexual' thing a bit too much.But it was  a bit shocking reading about John had always hated the idea about being cremated and left a will in 1979 totally going against this stating he wished to be buried,only for Yoko to go against his word.And in the book,Yoko was too distraught to tell Sean....so she asked one of her staff.....and when Sean asked to see his Dad for the last time it was too late,Yoko had him cremated within hours.Mental if true.......

The book is defo against Yoko...saying she secretley got married after John's death,letting the guy wear Johns clothes and styling his hair like Johns?????

Defo a good read though,i agree there are some great little facts among the gossip indeed.

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 02:27:21 PM »

Many, many years ago, I went to an exhibition of John Lennon's art, organised by Richard Branson, at which Yoko was in attendance. As well as prints of John's art, there was a lot of Beatle merchandise on sale too, including many Beatle books supplied by the Virgin Megastore. However, Richard Branson refused to allow this particular book to be sold at the art exhibition - good on him!

In my less enlightened days, I did something bad to this book in WHSmiths!! I am alternately very embarrassed and proud of that fact! LOL ;D  

Paul Doherty

• A Beginning
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 03:08:27 PM »

It must have really hit a nerve if Branson did that...........go on then....what did you do to the book?..................ya rebel ;D

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 07:26:40 PM »

I enjoyed Goldman's book, but you really have to use your judgment when reading it. For whatever reason, Goldman was fond of telling us John's thoughts. Wow, the guy was psychic! So just look for all those passages where it starts, "John thinks..." and you know the rest of that paragraph is all fiction. Also, when he describes in detail what John's penis may or may not be doing at any given moment in terms of flaciddity, you can pretty much write that off as well.  ;D

On the plus side, Goldman did numerous interviews and exhaustive research. The book was hated when it came out, but many of his shocking revelations-- such as John's use of heroin-- have stood the test of time and are now an accepted part of John's past. I found it interesting that people who were savaged in it (such as Yoko) never sued. Was she really taking the high road in refusing to take any action, or was she aware that the facts were so well researched that she would lose a defamation of character suit?  

Like any work, I try to fit it into the larger picture of what other people have said and how they acted. For example, one of the most wounding things to Cynthia was when Yoko made her post-John's death announcement, the statement was signed "Yoko and Sean" and Julian's words were confiscated for Yoko's own use. So I get to chose who to believe: Cynthia or Yoko. I put it together with everything else I've heard, and just decide-- I hope while also keeping an open mind. I don't and won't know for sure, but I can make an educated guess-- fully aware it's just my best shot at assimilating the facts.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
    • The studio
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 02:25:21 AM »

Quote from: 979
I think he pushed the whole'John was bisexual' thing a bit too much.But it was  a bit shocking reading about John had always hated the idea about being cremated and left a will in 1979 totally going against this stating he wished to be buried,only for Yoko to go against his word.And in the book,Yoko was too distraught to tell Sean....so she asked one of her staff.....and when Sean asked to see his Dad for the last time it was too late,Yoko had him cremated within hours.Mental if true.......

The book is defo against Yoko...saying she secretley got married after John's death,letting the guy wear Johns clothes and styling his hair like Johns?????

Defo a good read though,i agree there are some great little facts among the gossip indeed.
It's certainly paint 's yoko in a bad light.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
    • The studio
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 02:26:59 AM »

Quote from: 551
I enjoyed Goldman's book, but you really have to use your judgment when reading it. For whatever reason, Goldman was fond of telling us John's thoughts. Wow, the guy was psychic! So just look for all those passages where it starts, "John thinks..." and you know the rest of that paragraph is all fiction. Also, when he describes in detail what John's penis may or may not be doing at any given moment in terms of flaciddity, you can pretty much write that off as well.  ;D

On the plus side, Goldman did numerous interviews and exhaustive research. The book was hated when it came out, but many of his shocking revelations-- such as John's use of heroin-- have stood the test of time and are now an accepted part of John's past. I found it interesting that people who were savaged in it (such as Yoko) never sued. Was she really taking the high road in refusing to take any action, or was she aware that the facts were so well researched that she would lose a defamation of character suit?  

Like any work, I try to fit it into the larger picture of what other people have said and how they acted. For example, one of the most wounding things to Cynthia was when Yoko made her post-John's death announcement, the statement was signed "Yoko and Sean" and Julian's words were confiscated for Yoko's own use. So I get to chose who to believe: Cynthia or Yoko. I put it together with everything else I've heard, and just decide-- I hope while also keeping an open mind. I don't and won't know for sure, but I can make an educated guess-- fully aware it's just my best shot at assimilating the facts.

Nicely put.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 05:24:14 AM »

Thanks. :)
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Paul Doherty

• A Beginning
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 11:16:47 AM »

agreed. Another point id make is.....if the author did infact interview the lennons Nanny or cleaner(not sure which),she seems to have given the bulk of the information concerning the later part of Johns life and also yoko's fling with someone else during and after her relationship with John.Anyway....im not gonna dwell on it ;D
Its a mad mad mad world folks!

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 01:33:53 PM »

I refused to be interviewed for Goldman's book, so did Bob Wooler. When we were approached it was a case of "Now, can you dish the dirt?" He came up with somne ridiculous stories, such as the one that John was responsible for Stuart's death by kicking him in the head in Hamburg. This is the incident that Pauline Sutcliffe said was ridiculous when she was interviewed for Beatles Unlimited and then included it in her biography of her brother as if it was a fact.

Bobber

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 01:51:15 PM »

I've dug up an old (and brilliant if I may say so  ;D ) post on Stu's cause of death. Read here: http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/m-1117739226/s-34/highlight-cerebral/#num34

BlueMeanie

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 09:48:01 PM »

Excellent read Cor. Puts paid to all the rumours I'd say.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 09:57:46 PM »

Quote from: 1062
I refused to be interviewed for Goldman's book, so did Bob Wooler. When we were approached it was a case of "Now, can you dish the dirt?"  
Well, put that way, I can see why you would decline--and why Goldman presented such a scandalous view of Lennon's life. At least Philip Norman tried to be subtle when approaching people (or so I've read).  

Quote from: 1062
He came up with some ridiculous stories, such as the one that John was responsible for Stuart's death by kicking him in the head in Hamburg. This is the incident that Pauline Sutcliffe said was ridiculous when she was interviewed for Beatles Unlimited and then included it in her biography of her brother as if it was a fact.

But Bill, surely you can see that this story is far more exciting than some boring medical reason. The idea is not to tell the truth, but sell books! Do you have the phrase "There's a sucker born every minute" over in England?

Thanks for your link to your brilliant post, Bobber! As I recall, they did find a small indent in Stu's skull that might have indicated an old trauma. I believe they also found a small tumor? In any case, the family donated his brain to science, so it's been quite well looked into. (I don't remember the source for this; I read it too long ago.)

nimrod

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 09:53:52 AM »

In this interview George Martin (more than Paul) is quite scathing about the inacuracies about even him......if Goldman couldnt even get those facts right how can we believe his sensationalisms ?

Paul thinks its rubbish as well

1988 Paul McCartney & George Martin -Today Show discussing John Lennon Book.

Snoopy66

• A Beginning
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2012, 11:03:57 AM »

This book is rubbish and it's proscribed for many John-fans. I only read parts of it, but the sensational style said it all to me. Of course, the may be some truth in it, just over-decorated with exaggerations and speculations which hardly one can prove. Overall, it's even not worth talking about such crap.

Too bad that Goldman got so much publicity with this book when it came out. He made a similar rubbish-book about Elvis before. Of course, it's so easy to make money on famous people who cannot defend themselves anymore. There are so many other, much better and more accurate books about John's life's.

Snoopy

nimrod

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2012, 12:15:39 PM »

yes Snoopy, I couldnt help noticing as well that Fred Seaman has a photo of himself in his book standing beside Goldmans book, and mentioning him as a friend, which makes me wonder if theres a lot of fairytales in his book also

As you say mate (and as G Martin & Paul )says in the interview its easy to attack dead people who cant defend themselves

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2012, 05:08:05 PM »

I agree with Harihead pretty much! I bought the book when it first came out and was a bit suprised at how Goldman went after John. Most books up to that point had been from authors that were inquisitive in a positive way. I think IMHO this was the first book about him where the author just did not like John Lennon. It took most fans by suprise as they thought they were in for another fan orientated book. I think some of it is valid, but it doesn't make any excuses for him for sure!
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

nimrod

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2012, 11:27:21 PM »

I agree with Harihead pretty much! I bought the book when it first came out and was a bit suprised at how Goldman went after John. Most books up to that point had been from authors that were inquisitive in a positive way. I think IMHO this was the first book about him where the author just did not like John Lennon. It took most fans by suprise as they thought they were in for another fan orientated book. I think some of it is valid, but it doesn't make any excuses for him for sure!

I tend to think that by suggesting thing like John being gay, he knew the book would gain lots of publicity and he would probably makes a lot of money, as George said, he wouldve ended up in court if John was still alive, but he wasnt so cant defend himself.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2012, 02:39:16 AM »

I tend to think that by suggesting thing like John being gay, he knew the book would gain lots of publicity and he would probably makes a lot of money, as George said, he wouldve ended up in court if John was still alive, but he wasnt so cant defend himself.
I think his point is quite right as well. I've read the gay thing in a couple of other books whose titles escape me now. I don't think it's true but with both Brian and John being passed we'll never know. At this time past we don't need to. I did find his sumation of his personality fairly interesting and would have to read it again to discuss it in detail.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.356 seconds with 76 queries.